• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Max OAL in Short Action AI vs. Accurate AICS mags?

DarkD

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
I am working on deciding my next barreled action buildout and in need some information to help me choose. I am debating between staying with a 6.5x284 or changing to the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47. I like the velocities of the 6.5x284, but at my current seating depths, I think it would not fit either of the 2 AICS mags, especially using VLDs. So long story short....can anyone provide me with the max OAL you can go with in the AI brand mags vs. the Accurate brand mags? I know there is a difference as the AI mags have that extra strip of metal along the front inside of the mag. I just dont have either of the mags in my possesion right now to measure. Thanks in advance.

Re: Max OAL in Short Action AI vs. Accurate AICS mags?

Anyone?

The AICS short mag has a internal dimension of aprox 2.860" with the strip of metal. If you remove the strip the dimensions are 2.950"
I don't own any accurate mags so I can't help you there.

Thanks! I have heard that the inside length of the AI mag w/o the strip is the same as the Accurate.

I am trying to figure out if I can seat a 140gr VLD in a 6.5x284 case and magazine feed it in a short action wthout excessive seating depth and therefore loss of case capacity, increased risk of concentricity related issues, etc.....

The lapua 6.5x284 case is 2.1625", about 0.265" of that is the neck. For a boat tail bullet I would say the max length bullet you could support is going to be about 1.232" long which would completely fill the neck leaving the BT portion hanging inside the case. If your regular loads come up to the base of the neck then that won't work.

This cartridge really strikes me as a long action cartridge if you want to mag feed it but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it.

A berger 140gr VLD is about 1.39" (give or take). The seating surface of the bullet is about 0.675". You'd have 0.6025" of bullet inside the case extending .3375" past the base of the neck. Would kind of resemble a copper sharpie
smile.gif

A sierra 120gr match king is about 1.173" long. That would work but I doubt you are wanting to shoot that bullet out of that case. I don't have any of the 140/142gr sierra's handy but the 120gr was so close (they have a shorter BT portion) that I doubt anything larger would work unless you were willing to have part of the bullet shank sitting inside the case below the base of the neck.