• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Maximizing Elevation Question

NikolaiS

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2009
Peoria, AZ
www.gothiclabs.com
The elevation turret on my scope has 22 total mils of elevation. At zero (100yds), I have 14mils elevation available, and 8 mils negative elevation. Those 8 mils in the negative are essentially wasted. I don't use them.

I'm trying to figure out a way to realign my scope in such a way as to rob as much of the negative elevation as possible to give to the positive. Any ideas?

Nik

Re: Maximizing Elevation Question

You didn't mention your rifle. A scope base slanted from back to front will allow you to use some of that now wasted elevation adjustment. Bases with 20 and 30 MOA are common for Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70 short actions. Divide those numbers by 3.438 to see how many more mils of adjustment you would have.

Bases are also available for some other actions, and there are some manufacturers who will make a custom base to your specifications, though naturally that will cost more.

If you're running a 0-degree base then a 20 MOA canted base would give you approximately 2.2 mils down and 19.8 up assuming nothing else changes.

Badger makes 20 and 35 MOA bases for your rifle.

The 35 would probably keep you from getting a 100 yard zero, so the 20 is probably what you want.

The Badger part number is P/N 306-80.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Yeah 35 MOA base looks like it would pull over 10mils off the minus side--too much.

If my math is right...
20 MOA base: gives 5.8mils

That shaves quite a bit off 8 mils.
Nik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If my math is right...
20 MOA base: gives 5.8mils

That shaves quite a bit off 8 mils.</div></div>
Yup. Like I said above...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: modifier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...a 20 MOA canted base would give you approximately 2.2 mils down and 19.8 up assuming nothing else changes.</div></div>
wink.gif