• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maximum COAL to fit in TRG 42 338 Lapua mag?

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
What is the maximum cartiidge overall length that will run RELIABLY in a TRG 42 338 Lapua?

I've seen numbers suggesting as low as 3.68" and others at "3 3/4"" (which is 3.75" if taken literally).

What is correct?

I'm asking because measurements this morning say that a COAL of 3.7425" gets me to the lands.

Jim G

Re: Maximum COAL to fit in TRG 42 338 Lapua mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstang1988</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't you just take the mag and measure? </div></div>

No. That's why the word "reliably" was in the question!
smile.gif

I have no idea how much "clearance" loaded cartridges need in a magazine that transitions from double stack to single feed as the cartridges feed.

I figure though that others have crossed that bridge.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstang1988</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't you just take the mag and measure? </div></div>

No. That's why the word "reliably" was in the question!
smile.gif

I have no idea how much "clearance" loaded cartridges need in a magazine that transitions from double stack to single feed as the cartridges feed.

I figure though that others have crossed that bridge.

Jim G

</div></div>

Nobody can answer your question in 'absolute and no uncertain terms.'

Sorry.

I started out at 3.600" (book value,) moved to ~3.650", realized I could seat out to 3.675" and this last batch of 100, which I've fired 30 the last time at the 1k range, are a whopping 3.730"!!!

They fed fine.

Load up 5 long and place them in your magazine and take a flashlight and see if any of the tips are dragging on the front of the mag box. If they do, seat them deeper in .010" increments and see what you see?

It shouldn't be hard for you to figure out.

Chris

I received a PM that tells me that others are working on the same objectives. The PMer asked some questions which I will try to answer in this posting:

Here is what I have done so far:

Because loading "into the ands (i.e. negative jump) is apparently not possible on TRG 42 338 rifles because of magazine length limitations, I have targeted loading for .010" short of the lands, or shorter. i.e. .010" is the closest I want to get to the lands.

I measured a sampling of the Sierra 300g Matcking 338 bullets to determine both bullet-base-to-ogive (BBTO) dimension and bullet overall length (BOL). I found a substantial variance on these individual measurements, from smallest to largest. I found that BOL cares by .011" from longest to shortest, and BBTO varies by .008" from longest to shortest. I calculated the Ogive-to-Tip (OTP) dimension for each bullet in my sample.

I picked the bullet with a representative BBTO (just .0005" longer than statistical average) but with the LONGEST OTP dimension, reasoning that this would be the bullet that would generate the longest COAL that could potentially make the round too long for the magazine. I MARKED that bullet and used it as my sample bullet with the Stony Point (Hornady) OAL gage. That gage plus my digital calipers told me that my "worst case bullet" hit the lands at COAL = 3.7425. Note that I measured COAL, not case-base-to-ogive. This is for two reasons:

1. The limiting factor is the magazine, which I am led to believe (elsewhere than the Hide) will accept up to a 3.73 or 3.74" COAL. (Bear with me, see below)

2. It is impossible to accurately measure case-base-to-ogive (CBTO) with the Stony Point gage holding the round, using bullet ogive insert and my digital calipers, as with this Sierra 300g Mkg bullet the whole assembly cannot be made "straight" enough to prevent cocking error at the bullet to ogive insert interface due to the Stony Point gage construction (try it and you'll see what I mean). Measuring the COAL is much more accurate.

Once I had the 3.7425 maximum COAL, I was able to determine CBTO accurately because I KNOW the ogive-to-tip measurement, so simply subtracted that from COAL to get CBTO. THIS (CBTO) is what I measure in "production", since CBTO varies FAR less than COAL, because the bullet manufacturer holds BBTO much closer than bullet OAL.

So, wanting to start at .010" off the lands for my load testing, I target:
COAL = 3.7425 minus .010" = 3.7325".

To determine the CBTO, I subtract ogive-to-tip for my sample bullet (.8605") from COAL of 3.7325, and get 2.8720". BUT, my specific sample bullet's ogive is .0005" higher from bullet base than the AVERAGE of the bullets. So, I subtract .0005" and get:
target CBTO = 2.8715".

This CBTO must be my MAXIMUM in production (so that I stay safely .010" off the lands, and I know that my bullets at worst will vary up to .008" on CBTO (.011" on COAL!) due to Sierra's tolerances, so my production range is:

CBTO (case-base-to-ogive) = 2.8715" +0" / -.008"

and COAL from above = 3.7325" +0" / -.011"

Now, I may find that a COAL of 3.7325" might be too long for my magazine. I'l find out by trying to load 5 rounds into the magazine and seeing if there are any loading or feed hiccups. If so, I'll simply shorten each cartage in the prototype production batch by running them through the seating die again, with a shorter die setting, until they DO load and feed reliably.

Hopefully all the above makes sense to a patient reader.

Jim G

Your bullet selection isn't sensitive to seating. Nor are Lapua Scenars.

Load as long as possible to give you back case volume for powder (300gr bullets are long), and still give you reliable feeding from the magazine.

I understand your desire to want to know as much up front as possible. However, lets review some facts:

1. The TRG42 is a very accurate rifle out of the box.
2. It is not a custom built rifle with custom reamer specs
3. Your bullet selection is not sensitive to bullet seating depth.
4. You cannot reach the lands and still mag feed rounds.

Therefore all of your attempts short of testing rounds downrange( with a chrony) is academic and IMO gets you no closer to your end goal of developing an accurate load.

Once you find an accuracy node at the safe speeds you have in mind then you can play with a few tenths seating depth here and there if you feel the need - but this should be the last step in the process.

Edited to add: IME if you load to max mag length it will take extra force to feed the round even if it's not hitting or scraping the front of the magazine. Load up a dummy round and test from longest to shortest seating depth.

Followup:

I loaded up some rounds last evening using the Hornady cases I have left over from buying and shooting that one 20-round box of Hornady factory ammo.

I loaded to COAL 3.7325" as planned, and the Redding Competition seating die held the emasurement to a worst variation of only .0005".

I successfully loaded 5 rounds into the magazine and stripped them successfully out of the mag one at a time. Looks like this COAL may work. I did not want to chamber the rounds into the rifle from the mag as it violates one of my safety rules to load live rounds into the rifle inside the house.

There was just a tiny bit of clearance left between the tips of the bulelts and the front magazine wall.

Jim G

Best bet is to verify they feed. Make some dummies with brass and bullets only. After you have cycled them a few times to confirm just pull the bullets.

I tested the cartridges of COAL = 3.7325" by loading the mag and then feeding each round from the magazine, one at a time after each other, into the rifle chamber. 100% success.

So, at least in MY magazine (a stock factory mag), COAL = 3.7325" works.

Jim G

[MENTION=80354]JIM[/MENTION] - I know this thread is a little dated but do you have any update on how this worked for you? I just started reloading for my TRG and I too have been mentally struggling with the fact that my measured COAL to hit the lands is 3.740". It's just so far beyond spec I'm wondering what will happen with chamber pressure even at the recommended starting loads in the books.

What powder were you using? Where did you start in terms of grains for that powder charge and where did you end up? Did you measure velocity? If so, what was it?

p_pops

A bit off topic but which has longer coal TRG-42 or M10?