• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maximum effective range of Vectronix LRFs on non NATO targets.

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
What experience do shooters have ranging deer size targets (non-metalic) with the different models of Vectronix products?

Please keep in mind I am not after information ranging houses, buildings, cars etc.

The purpose of the feedback will be for long range hunting applications.

plrf110 trees to just short of 3k yards and 15c to around 4500. thats my experience with them and its first hand.

I had my terrapin out coyote hunting last week. I found the coyotes running around on a frozen lake chasing ducks. I was able to range coyotes or small patches of brush out to 2300 yards. I ranged a bald eagle sitting on the ice at 1760. The 5x magnification made it difficult but I was able to identify stuff with binos and spotter and then range it with the rangefinder. The vectronix rf are everything they are hyped to be.

It's not a good day for ranging as it's pouring rain. But, in these conditions, I was able to range a grassy hillside at 2200 yards with a 10C. Impressive considering the conditions.

Maybe I can help. I used a terrapin a few times on deer and such. On flatland where you can really tell if a LRF will work or not. I ranged some deer little past 600 the other day looking into the sun. Ranged a flying hawk around 500. Actually ranged steam smoke or whatever coming out of a plant at 500 a few days ago, just thought that was crazy. I have ranged and airplane hanger at 5300 yds with my terrapin but you want critters. I feel good on deer past 700 or so. I realize it ranges much farther than that but the other day we were looking at some deer I was spotting and my buddy was on the gun. He has a 5-25 S&B. He saw 2 deer and I couldn't find em due to the lighting for quite a while. After I found em I ranged at 869. They gave me a little trouble to hit them due to the distance and visibility. Anything vectronix is jam up. I love em over ANY other brand. Hands down. I feel that if I can hit it and stay steady, anything under a mile is ranged given brush or something doesn't interfere. BUt I would say that deer are 800 or so in ANY conditions. I've ranged em way past 1K but sometimes in flat lands that is tough. And not neccesarly the LRFs fauly. Just the nature of the beast.

Hope this helps.

I recently got a Leica Vector IV and so far I have ranged white tails out to 500 and cows 2000+, it is amazing the obscure items it will hit though, small bushes at 1500 and dirt banks at the lake to 6010. By far the most impressive RF on the market.

I ranged mule deer on winter range easly to 1000, sunny day and the snow ghost trees to top at just under 2000.

yesterday i was looking out and say two power lines pretty far out. only two wires, maybe 2 in in diameter? ranged them at 630 yards. amazing how sensative the detector is.

yesterday under moderate rain no tripod, I've used only hands to hold my Vector 21 > 5000 meters