• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Maximum ordinace

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
Does any know which of the ballistic software will also give you the maximum ordinace value? I am thinking of getting a software for a handheld PDA. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Maximum ordinace

IIRC, the only PDA version with Max Ordinate is the CheyTac ABC. I can SWAG it by looking in the Elevation page of FFS, take a couple of comeups at about 60% of the zero range and quick multiply to get inches, it's brute force, I know, but I find I rarely need the number. I've suggested it to Blaine a couple times, but it's a real pain to compute the actual number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does any know which of the ballistic software will also give you the maximum ordinace value? I am thinking of getting a software for a handheld PDA. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.</div></div>

Since the maximum ordinate of the bullet's flight is on the trajectory curve between the two points where line of sight intersects with bullet path, just look for yardage on the curve where the bullet path height is highest above line of sight.

None of the PDA programs display bullet path, so the best I've come up with is the SWAG disreibed above. The desktop versions all seem to display something close, but it's lacking in the PDA versions. Other than shooting under a bridge, or some similar obstruction, it's not a particularly useful number anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Other than shooting under a bridge, or some similar obstruction, it's not a particularly useful number anyway.</div></div>

Agree. And if anyone really has a use for that number, one can use JBM to find it.

Patagonia's LB2 Mobile actually does calculate Danger Space (Near and Far Zero) it calculates Max Ordinate (while not showing its value) next update will show the value in order to satisfy those interested in that information.

Also the Near Zero DS is only calculated by LB2M a feature not present even in the Cheytacs ABC software.

LB2M displays PATH in the Results tab.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patagonia's LB2 Mobile actually does calculate Danger Space (Near and Far Zero) it calculates Max Ordinate (while not showing its value) next update will show the value in order to satisfy those interested in that information.

Also the Near Zero DS is only calculated by LB2M a feature not present even in the Cheytacs ABC software.

LB2M displays PATH in the Results tab.

</div></div>

This is correct.

Loadbase has always calculated bullet path.....DS is a newer addition, but still present. The max ord values should be visible according to the developer in the next update.

I'm not sure where some of this erroneous information is coming from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Other than shooting under a bridge, or some similar obstruction, it's not a particularly useful number anyway.</div></div>

Agree. And if anyone really has a use for that number, one can use JBM to find it.
</div></div>

I see that it could be important, like shooting at about 170 meters on
f targets with an M4 which has a 300 meter zero on it. Using a center of mass hold, the bullet could pass over such a target. But at LR, my kind of LR, it's moot.

I've spoke to Gus at Patagonia about Loadbase and As we speak, Max Ord is being added to the Mobile edition (no need so far for the Desktop one, since it’s of use under a field situation) and should be available really soon.

A new legend will show “Max Ord -> 03.2 inches at 0245 Yards”

On the other hand, and just as a side note, Max Ord is already calculated (in order to control Danger Space, i.e. Target Height less than Max Ord, then no DS solution is feasible), just not being displayed.

The upcoming update will display both the Max Ord (inches/cm) and the corresponding Max Ord Range.

Also, let me say that the proprietary method used by LB2M to compute both the Max Ord and Danger Space yields the EXACT values, not an approximate. Moreover, DS is calculated for both Near and Far Zero and for ANY slope angle. The usual limitation is that DS is computed “for level fire only”.

Yes they have added it and it looks good!!

The customer service and how quick and often they keep adding and improving their products is what i really like along with the fact that it is truely a great program!!