• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Maybe a dumb question: Shimming a stock?

WWWJD

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
I'm putting together my first rifle; Remington SPS Tac .308. I've read about the floated barrel making incidental contact with the front of the stock, especially with a bipod or proper rest... and the possible effects it can have on accuracy after warm up.

On my own rifle new out of the box, I can see that when I let the rifle rest on the forward sling stud, that I do in fact have contact (fails the dollar bill test). So now I know I'll observe the same effect once the bipod is installed.

I'm curious; the stock attaches to the action at only two places. Is there a down side to adding a few thousandths shim to the forward attachment bolt between the action and the stock? Adding 0.005" of shim at that bolt would drift the barrel and stock apart probably 50 or so thousandths. Granted that both bolts would be in an ever so slight bind as the faces aren't true anymore, but the stock / recoil lug interface is absorbing all the destructive forces when fired.. The fit and tolerances are tight.. but not "that tight". Would this serve a purpose or am I way off base here?

Thanks,
~Mark (a.k.a. another dad gum noob)

Re: Maybe a dumb question: Shimming a stock?

Are you going to bed it with the shims? If not then when you tip the front up I think you'll be losing contact with your recoil lug towards the bottom.

I guess one would have to know how much actual contact is being made "as is" in the factory condition to see if loss of contact would even be measurable at that point.. Play-Doh test?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A new stock would suit you well. </div></div>

I was thinking some shimming material would be about $400 cheaper than a new stock..

Any downside to what I'm talking about?

It would work, but you would still be glassing the action into a stock thats subpar. so far i think this is your best option. and you will maintain the full bearing surface on the recoil lug.

Instead of trying to raise your action, how about removing a bit of material in the barrel channel. Then, you could use Devcon or an epoxy to stiffen up the front of the stock. I know Youtube has vids on this concept.

You could also keep an eye out for a used Bell & Carlson stock in the for sale section or ebay, they can usually be had for less then 200.. Just my 2c.

I had that setup. I put a soft shim under the barrel about an inch back from the front of the stock it helped but I still couldn't get holes touching at 100 so its getting overhauled. My intentions were to mock a factory stock design since most have about a 1 inch square riser right where the sling swivel stud is. Cheap and it helped.

Then the tang for the receiver will stick up if you shim it. Your best bet without spending much money is to stiffen up the barrel channel with epoxy and possibly aluminum rod, then pillar bed and free float the barrel. Used HS Precision and B&C stocks are about $200 and have an aluminum bedding block if you can go that route.

OK how about the "accu-riser" system and bedding under both the action and rear tang....(minimal bedding under tang). you would still have 100% bedding support under action. the tang will be elevated anyway unless you bed under it too.

The forend of the stock is still too flexible. Read up on pillar bedding, it's not rocket science. It's super easy and cheap. When you get that done, figure out how to stiffen the forend with epoxy and metal and sand out the barrel channel to free float it. Shortcuts are not the answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostlake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about shimming both action screws the same amount? Then the bearing surfaces would still be even. </div></div>

confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then the tang for the receiver will stick up if you shim it. Your best bet without spending much money is to stiffen up the barrel channel with epoxy and possibly aluminum rod, then pillar bed and free float the barrel. Used HS Precision and B&C stocks are about $200 and have an aluminum bedding block if you can go that route. </div></div>

This..... I had similiar issues and after dicking with it long enough I just started looking for a deal on a B&C stock. I am happy with the end result.

Shimming works great on a firm stock. The stock you have will eventually sag and make contact again. You can bandaid the stock with shims or various forearm stiffeners. All work for awhile. You might look into a cheap wood stock as a temp until you have the cash for a woohoo synthetic. Personally I like the feel of wood, laminated versions are very rugged and if the barrel channel is sealed it is good at keeping zero'd.

But the synthetics scream with range babe appeal.

Shim it as a temporary trial fix. If this eliminates contact, <span style="font-style: italic">and if this improves accuracy</span>, read up on glassbedding and give it a try, replicating the shim clearance.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WWWJD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I just do this?

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding </div></div>

stressstrain.jpg

"Stress free" would be from a no torque installation of the action screws.

"Stress free" would not be accurate.

Ok.. thanks for all the responses guys. I guess this leads up to my next question: Does anyone make an aftermarket stock for this rifle that has the proper bedding, proper clearance in the forend, and a hogue like finish?

I really do like the hogue vs. what I currently have on a BDL .270. The factory synthetic stock on it just never has felt "right".

If ya like the Hogue, might as well try bed it a little, then sand out the channel. I don't know how it will take pillars, but you can at least do the tang, lug, and channel.

Just simply sand little out of the bore channel and then fill and stiffen the forend if needed. Can do for $20 bucks or less I bet. Like said though bedding would benefit you more, but a new stock would he even better and most likely what will happen eventually if you hang around here for too long!