• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maybe I can build but it'll need to be CHEAP!

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I had to sell my FN SPR A2 (among other things) to cover some debt. That's done. I even managed to save my scope.

I've covered the bills and am left with some cash. About $700. So I'm thinking about putting it toward another rifle.

I still have my AR so I could build an upper. I've always thought the Grendel would be cool but I'm concerned about reloading components. But I do have the tools.

Or, I could build a Savage but I'd have to buy the tools. Probably a long action in 6.5x55. But I would want to restock it.

I've got a Finn 28/76 that I could scope but I hate to drill and tap the receiver.

Or, I could pick up one of those Ruger Scout GSR scout rifles in .308. Seems like a mighty handy platform and it comes with irons.

But I'm really limited on cash. $700-$750 is it.

How about some ideas? What would you do?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Maybe I can build but it'll need to be CHEAP!

Honestly, this is probably not what you want to hear and I kind of feel like a preachy ass for saying it but.... if you had to sell things off to cover some debt I would bank that money and build up more savings. Then when you have a stronger equity position you can just buy whatever rifle it is you really want.

I rather have one I made then one some one else made. Besides chances are either would out shoot me I'm sure.

If I was broke, and wanted to build a rifle, I'd buy a mauser action. Shotgun news have lots of offerings at well under $100 bucks. Midway and others have pre-threaded 308 barrels for masers, a hair over $100. Then there are lots of drop in composit stocks out there that would fit the mauser. Might have to rent or barrol a finish reamer. (Depending on caliber I might have one to loan you if you promise to send it back). A bit of fitting and you have you rifle for under $250. Finishing would be a bit more but you could paint it if you didn't have the money for a good blue job.

I bet you will find out you could throw a 2 MOA together fairly easy. Remember Carlos Hathcock used a 2 MOA Model 70. Plus the X-10 ring on the 1000 yard target is right at 2 MOA.

I realize most people here talk about multi thousand dollar, sub minute rifles, but I've seen few clean 1000 yard targets.

I just don't believe shooting, even long range has to be a rich man's support.

Below is my Model 70 1000 yard rifle in 300 WM, less sights, I have less then $250 in it. Shot some dern good scores while I was shooting for the Guard.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

This is a M-700 in 308 I built for my Grandson. I got the action in a trade, stock was about $150, $120 for the stainless barrel, again I had the glass. So we are talking about $250. Good shooter also. More then accurate enough for a kid's hunting rifle.

Guns%20003.JPG

I have some more but no pictures. The best shooter is the Model 70 I build for my wife in 243. I got the orginal M-70 stock for $5o because someone wanted a composite. Douglas prem. barrel, and Leopold 4X scope. I have $450 in this one because of the scope.

I use Winchester because a while back I was able to buy 6 Model 70 actions for $235 for the bunch.

Granted I have a lathe & milling machine and blueing tanks, but you don't have to have all that.

Give it a try, worse comes to worse you end up with a good hunting rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, this is probably not what you want to hear and I kind of feel like a preachy ass for saying it but.... if you had to sell things off to cover some debt I would bank that money and build up more savings. Then when you have a stronger equity position you can just buy whatever rifle it is you really want. </div></div>

Hey, I appreciate that. I even though I lost a little on the rifle, I made money on the other sales. See, firearms are just money in another form. And with the current economic situation, it is even a better reason to put dollars in to some type of metal. I can't afford gold but I can afford some purpose driven steel.

My dollars are probably more valuable right now than they will be next year. You hang onto yours, I'm going to invest mine.

Now, do you have a rifle opinion?

Hmm...then in that case of the options you listed I would go with the Grendel upper for your AR. I think it would be fun to shoot.

I would say the Grendal upper, but bullets are a bit pricey. Oh well, can't take it with you!

-Matt

OK...some Savage love...but you might have to sacrifice a little and go with a standard caliber...the 6.5 x 55 is going to send you over budget...

+1 you still got glass...a barrel wrench will set you back $35, use it and sell it or borrow one...

Savage LA or SA on the used market $300 or so...I just picked one up off of here, a Savage LA, SSS Comp Recoil Lug, a decent 3 screw trigger, EGW 20MOA base AND a low round count .308 factory tube for $300 shipped...there are deals to be had...just look...here or join ($10 gets you into their classifieds) over at SAVAGESHOOTERS.COM...you might even score an Accu-Trigger model...

If you got SA you can pick up a B&C Tactical Medalist for a little over $200 and have it the same week. If LA is your flavor then its either 6-9 weeks for a Stockade Tactical "money saver" at $235 or a Choate Tactical (poor mans A5) for $221 from Midway...if you dont have a set of dies buy a set, send the total over $250 and get $25 off (free dies)...

So now I am at $535.40 for a low round count barreled action in .308, with a decent trigger and mount as well as a decent stock (I bought the Choate) AND A SET OF .308 dies to load with...

I have an SWFA 10X and a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam and rings already so like you I have glass...

I spent another $30 on a used Harris Bipod and $13 for the mounting hardware...

I'm getting in a new Karstens A Mod cheek piece for $50 so my total now is $628.40

Late this month I'm getting in on a Group Buy and getting a new 26" SS Varmint in 30-06 for $250 and have a buyer for my .308 tube to recoup $125 of that...so...all of that for $753.40...

So yes...it can be done and done well...

Capt Beach

I would go the savage route simply because I think you will end up w the best gun for the money invested

Good used Rem 700 SPS in .223 or .308 Add stuff as you go. I picked one up as new in box in .308 for less than $500. Add a bushnell 10x 3200 scope. You can get them used for less than $150. Rings and base less than $50. Good std. rifle. In your budget. Lots of upgrades can be made for little.

You know...You've been a member since...ummmm TODAY...and you come on here and bash a brand and individuals and their honor and financial situations...

I CAN BUY ANY DAMNED THING I WANT, I AM 53, RETIRED FOR 6 YEARS NOW, MILLION $$$ HOME PAID FOR ON THE WATER IN VA BEACH VA, EVERYTHING I OWN IS PAID FOR...I COULD BUY YOU FOR WHAT YOU THINK YOU AND YOUR RIFLES ARE WORTH, SELL YOU FOR A DIME AND NEVER HURT MY POCKET SPENDING $$$$...NOW GO OFF AND POLISH YOUR TURDS SON...

I build rifles because I enjoy it, I've just gotten back into it after 20+ years...I am a former USMC 2111/2112 RTE armorer...I have forgotten more about working on guns than you have ever learned...the man has a budget...he obviously hit some hard times and still wants to shoot...be humble...

<span style="font-weight: bold">JD42 said "Good used Rem 700 SPS in .223 or .308 Add stuff as you go. I picked one up as new in box in .308 for less than $500. Add a bushnell 10x 3200 scope. You can get them used for less than $150. Rings and base less than $50. Good std. rifle. In your budget. Lots of upgrades can be made for little.
"</span>

That is certainly one very good option should the man want to go that way...I like how you think...incrementalism...

He's got a few more than 31 posts on this forum...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know of your 31 posts today you have managed to present yourself as a total ass in about 28 of them...great introduction of yourself to SNIPERS HIDE

This also applies to new members as well...GROW UP

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2733988#Post2733988</div></div>

He's been around longer than you think. Lots of good data hidden in his posts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's got a few more than 31 posts on this forum...</div></div>

Retread?

Member #: 61674 Online content
Title: Lance Corporal
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: Today at 03:44 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know of your 31 posts today you have managed to present yourself as a total ass in about 28 of them...great introduction of yourself to SNIPERS HIDE

This also applies to new members as well...GROW UP

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2733988#Post2733988</div></div>

He's been around longer than you think. Lots of good data hidden in his posts.</div></div>

IT MAY BE...but a genius asshole is still an asshole...

You could find a New or used Savage/Stevens for pretty cheap, add a choate stock, or maybe a money saver prairie dog/ tactical get an egw base, some tps rings, some reloading stuff and youll be good to go until you save enough money to to upgrade the stock, buy a new barrel or anything else you want to do.

Just a suggestion. I bought a savage 12 flv .223 and put a vortex viper pst on it and i shot it out to around 700 yards pretty well with 69 gr smks.

yeah, wow.

savage or the ar, its really whatever you think you will get the most use for the least money. do you reload? is the grendel cheap to feed? you can buy a stevens action cheap, hell a whole gun is cheaper than a new action in some cases. i snagged a nut wrench at optice planet for $28 on sale, tossed in targets, brushes and jags and got it over $33 for free shipping. keep your eyes on the used section here.

Mine started out as this. Rem 700 SPS in .308 Houge stock, Primary arms 4x16x44 ill, mil dot. Cheap weaver base.
IMG_0573.jpg

Then got a good used H/S stock, picked up a bushnell 3x12x44 Elete 4200 on sale at midway. Weaver 1 pc 20moa base. TPS rings.
IMG_0611.jpg

I did some horse tradeing and got a AI 2.0 stock. Great system shoots better than I can.
IMG_0624.jpg

Start with what you can afford. Then add and change as things get better. Good luck!

CaptBeach thanks for all the refreshing advise! Everybody is always
talking the big bucks and the biggest and best. It was so nice to hear someone talk about putting together something together on a budget! It has me thinking?
Op I'm thinking about building a Grendel,but they can cost $ being limited in the market place as to where you can buy stuff?
I bought a R700 223 and built it up slowly and have had a great time shooting it!! The cost stays down!
I'm about to buy my second Savage this one in 6.5 CM and am buying Savage for it's out of the box accuracy and $$. It's hard to beat the cost verses accuracy?
Just my .02??

Many Rem 700's are shooting around 1/2moa out of the box with better fit and finish than the Savages. My advice would be to look for a SPS and a decent used stock. Spend the rest on ammo and trigger work. You can get new SPS 700's for under $400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can get new SPS 700's for under $400. </div></div>

Where?

I do reload and have .308 dies, brass, and projectiles.

I've found them starting at $550 or so. This one is $616 at Buds>

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/981/products_id/69321

It's already threaded and the twist is 1-10.

In your budget range. You might want to look at a good used SPS. I got mine As new in box. Less than 20 rounds on it. For $450. Good starting point. Check the rifle out before you buy.

ok this is probably a dumb question but i honestly don't know. i know remington has cheap half plastic crap actions and then the good 700 actions. does savage do the same on their cheap rifles or are the actions in the $300 dollar rifles the same as the actions in the $700 dollar rifles?

My first thought was that they are they same expect the triggers, barrels and stocks and I went looking on the hide and I did find a thread that confirms they are the same actions.. just everything is different in a way.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1810994

It seems like a stevens action is great to build on because it is pretty much the same thing as a savage but even cheaper, but I had to spend a few extra dollars and go with the savage because they dont make lefthanded stevens it seems.

hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, this is probably not what you want to hear and I kind of feel like a preachy ass for saying it but.... if you had to sell things off to cover some debt I would bank that money and build up more savings. Then when you have a stronger equity position you can just buy whatever rifle it is you really want. </div></div>

+1
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, this is probably not what you want to hear and I kind of feel like a preachy ass for saying it but.... if you had to sell things off to cover some debt I would bank that money and build up more savings. Then when you have a stronger equity position you can just buy whatever rifle it is you really want. </div></div>

+1
wink.gif
</div></div>

+1

I appreciate all the concern over my finances but your approach is misguided. As I stated above, I'm of the belief that my money will not have the purchasing power in the next several months than it has now. Once it all blows up, then everything changes with respect to our buying power. Right now, $700 will buy a rifle and that's what I plan to do, because it is the best investment I can afford. Think of it as an investment in precious metals i.e. "Purpose driven steel". It will be much more valuable than 1/2 ounce of gold.

But based on the post counts that some of the "1+" crowd have, I suspect they're padding their post count. Why, I don't know.

So if you have a rifle comment, feel free, otherwise mind your own business.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate all the concern over my finances but your approach is misguided. As I stated above, I'm of the belief that my money will not have the purchasing power in the next several months than it has now. Once it all blows up, then everything changes with respect to our buying power. Right now, $700 will buy a rifle and that's what I plan to do, because it is the best investment I can afford. Think of it as an investment in precious metals i.e. "Purpose driven steel". It will be much more valuable than 1/2 ounce of gold.

But based on the post counts that some of the "1+" crowd have, I suspect they're padding their post count. Why, I don't know.

So if you have a rifle comment, feel free, otherwise mind your own business.

Paul

</div></div>

You asked for ideas, and honestly firearms are seldomly a sound investment (especially modern, currently produced and commonly available firearms). If it isn't appreciating at least 3% annually you're losing money to inflation. However, like you said, it is your money and you are free to do with it as you please.

As far as $700 rifle I'd probably just get an SPS Tactical or Varmint. If wanting to stick to Mil Surp then I'd do a K31 Swiss; those things shoot surprisingly well and can be had for around $250. However, they're not the best platform for mounting a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You asked for ideas, and honestly firearms are seldomly a sound investment (especially modern, currently produced and commonly available firearms). If it isn't appreciating at least 3% annually you're losing money to inflation. However, like you said, it is your money and you are free to do with it as you please.

As far as $700 rifle I'd probably just get an SPS Tactical or Varmint. If wanting to stick to Mil Surp then I'd do a K31 Swiss; those things shoot surprisingly well and can be had for around $250. However, they're not the best platform for mounting a scope. </div></div>

Man, I appreciate the input and you're correct concerning the ROI in a modern firearms purchase, no arguments.

But that's if things continue as they have been. I happen to believe it's going to get bad, really bad with respect to the world's financial situation. Maybe worse than the depression. Certainly worse than the late 70's and early 80's.

I may be chicken little and the sky may not be falling. But I'd rather be chicken little with a rifle in my hands than chicken little with a little bit of cash in my pocket and needing a rifle.

I had to sell a lot of stuff to cover something that was beyond my control. I have an overage. I'm going to spend it on a rifle and I'm going to try and get all the rifle I can afford. I spend a lot of time and effort trading up to the FN that I recently sold. I'll just start over.

So............I'm liking the Remington 700 but not the lower end stock options. Is there any way to readily correct the situation with the Hogue stocks flexing?

Thanks,

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent you a PM on some suggested leads for you. </div></div>

Replied brother.

Paul

Academy, Dick's or even Walmart sells the SPS700 for around $400. Add a trigger job and a used B&C or HS Precision stock an you'll probably have a damn good shooter.

If you like 700's, try what others have said and look for a SPS Varmint and a used stock. I did that along with a Rifle Basix trigger and wound up with a solid 1/2 MOA rifle. There's nothing wrong with a Savage. They're not as pretty, but damn they will SHOOT! Good luck and post pics of what you come up with.

How bout a Remington AAC 308 with an EGW base? I picked one up brand new for $600 and have another $35 in the base. And it's a shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, this is probably not what you want to hear and I kind of feel like a preachy ass for saying it but.... if you had to sell things off to cover some debt I would bank that money and build up more savings. Then when you have a stronger equity position you can just buy whatever rifle it is you really want.</div></div>

+1. I would go with out until I got the money for what I really want.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen. I've taken the input and have come up with a workable solution, even though it's slightly outside of what would be considered to be "the thing to do". But I'll stay within my financial comfort zone.

When everything is here, I'll post some pics and a range report.

Thanks,

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
21mrllx.jpg
</div></div>

man you gotta stop flashing that rifle. man that baby is sweetass