• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McGowen 308 Win Barrel, buy action or sell barrel?

SdotW

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2022
United States
Hello guys,

I purchased a barrel from someone a year or two ago without knowing much about the long range world. Here are the details on the barrel:
308 Winchester Match, 1-10" Twist, Stainless, REMAGE Threads, Medium Palma Contour, 11 Degree Crown, Polished, 18" Long
5/8"x24 TPI Muzzle Threads
Remingnton Nut, Stainless Steel
Spiral Flutes

This will be my first long range rifle. I wanted to put something together quick to shoot with now, while I piece together something better. The "better" rifle is going to consist of the following:

ACC Elite chassis
TL3 Action
TL3 Proof Prefit Barrel
Vortex Razor HD Gen II
etc.

My question to you guys is, Is this a good barrel worthy of me getting an action for it, or should I get rid of it and start over?
If this barrel is worthy of me getting a not cheap, but not expensive action for it, which action should I get?
Can a decent Remington 700 action be purchased for $500-$650 usd?

If by “long range” you mean 1000y then that barrel is fine and .308 will be fine to shoot. I like Berger 185 Juggernauts and Varget.
If you mean beyond 1000 then realistically another caliber would be better than 308

If by “long range” you mean 1000y then that barrel is fine and .308 will be fine to shoot. I like Berger 185 Juggernauts and Varget.
If you mean beyond 1000 then realistically another caliber would be better than 308
Yes sir, 1000y or less for the .308. I'll do 6.5cm or 6mm for greater than 1000y

Reactions: db2000
Could grab a r700 threaded custom instead of TL3 and kill 2 birds. Defiance, Lone Peak, Stiller, Barnard SMS, Pierce, etc.

Hello guys,

I purchased a barrel from someone a year or two ago without knowing much about the long range world. Here are the details on the barrel:
308 Winchester Match, 1-10" Twist, Stainless, REMAGE Threads, Medium Palma Contour, 11 Degree Crown, Polished, 18" Long
5/8"x24 TPI Muzzle Threads
Remingnton Nut, Stainless Steel
Spiral Flutes

This will be my first long range rifle. I wanted to put something together quick to shoot with now, while I piece together something better. The "better" rifle is going to consist of the following:

ACC Elite chassis
TL3 Action
TL3 Proof Prefit Barrel
Vortex Razor HD Gen II
etc.

My question to you guys is, Is this a good barrel worthy of me getting an action for it, or should I get rid of it and start over?
If this barrel is worthy of me getting a not cheap, but not expensive action for it, which action should I get?
Can a decent Remington 700 action be purchased for $500-$650 usd?

Typically pretty good barrels.
Mack Bros Evo II is a 700 footprint custom action for less than 800

Reactions: SdotW