• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McGowen Cut-Rifled Barrels for AR-10

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am in the process of putting together a AR-10 accuracy build in 6.5 Creedmoor and was looking at some of the various barrels that are available. I am especially interested in a cut-rifled barrel for the utmost in accuracy potential. I have looked at Krieger and Bartlein and came across McGowen cut-rifled barrels (not talking about the button rifled ones). I am wondering if anyone has tried one out and how much of a difference they are from the Krieger or Bartlein. I am somewhat interested because of the savings but I don't I don't know if it is worth it if there is much of a loss in accuracy potential. I would expect either the Krieger or Bartlein to shoot 1/2 moa or better with match grade reloads, but do you think the McGowen has the same potential? Let me know what you think

You should probably read some of the recent threads on McGowan before making any moves. Search “McGowan” in the search bar on here to find them.

Reactions: Baron23
Go over to the "Armory" section and search there. You can read about my latest experience and see photos. I had high hopes but two barrels later, I asked for a refund. I have another McGowen blank that was finished by CarbonSix for my Sig Cross and it's awesome. McGowen's finishing machine work is very lacking to put it mildly but their blanks are good to go.

My first barrel had:
-Damaged crown, poorly cut with gouge in the crown itself
-Threaded barrel end that was so rough it would cut you
-Rifling lands that did not start from an equidistant point from the chamber. Some rifling ran right down to it, others did not, completely random.
-Gouge in the gas port inside the barrel

My replacement barrel for the above had:
-Threaded barrel end that was marginally better if at all
-Same rifling start issue, like the chamber reamer wasn't parallel to the bore
-They still managed to leave a scratch/nick in the barrel end, but it didn't run to the crown so it was likely fine. But still...after the first one it should have been flawless.

The barrel extension on the second one was nowhere close to being an interference fit but maybe they don't design them that way. I didn't check the first. The second would slide right into a VSeven upper where it was an interference fit with a Faxon barrel that cost half as much.

Neither barrel should have been allowed to leave the facility and I don't think they're representative of work in the past. Not sure what's going on with them currently but there are obviously staffing or tooling issues. I hope they get it fixed as we need MORE good barrel makers not less.

I ended up going with an X-Caliber as they have a sale going on now and I could get all the specs I wanted AND choose my rifling. Plus they're going to head space it to a bolt I sent them. Third time is the charm!

Reactions: 232593
It looks like most of the post answer my question.....let's forget about McGowan. There is too many other options to put up with poor quality control. When you spend the kind of money that McGowan barrels cost, there is no excuse to get anything but something that is perfect.

I have a McGowen for a 110 action 264wm that's very good. Received it (barrel) 183 days after purchase (wasn't in a hurry anyway) on July of last year. Also have a 6.5prc AR10 barrel arrived 7/5/23. No complaints.

My debacle with McGowan was around December if I remember correctly so something must have happened between your order and mine (and everyone else's that came after).

• Sad
Reactions: Top O' Texas
My debacle with McGowan was around December if I remember correctly so something must have happened between your order and mine (and everyone else's that came after).
Might have been the person doing the chambering or anything else to the barrel? Luck of the draw I guess!

Luck should have nothing to to do with getting a good barrel.

MM
I hope you are correct, but then again there are several (supposedly) top barrel makers out there that do screw up. Hopefully ALL will stand up to their warrantee and make it right 1 way or the other!

Except it was TWO barrels. The first which had chamber, rifling, gas port and crown issues and the second which had much of the same as was a replacement for the first after I returned it.
Hopefully ALL of your money was refunded!

It actually was. First barrel arrived with issues and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I listed everything that was wrong with the barrel, sent it back on my dime, and asked for a new barrel. The replacement barrel arrived a bit over a month later and it had all the same issues except the scrape on the crown wasn't as deep this time and the gas port was marginally better, LOL. But the threads still looked like a beaver had cut them, the rifling didn't all start equidistant from the throat, crown still looked like crap, etc...My old barrel was put up for sale on the site while I was waiting for the new barrel which was pretty alarming. At that point I called and asked for a refund and they obliged. So they did one thing right.

Ordered up an X-Caliber barrel which had none of the flaws of the McGowan. Shot sub-MOA out of the box (and still is).

It actually was. First barrel arrived with issues and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I listed everything that was wrong with the barrel, sent it back on my dime, and asked for a new barrel. The replacement barrel arrived a bit over a month later and it had all the same issues except the scrape on the crown wasn't as deep this time and the gas port was marginally better, LOL. But the threads still looked like a beaver had cut them, the rifling didn't all start equidistant from the throat, crown still looked like crap, etc...My old barrel was put up for sale on the site while I was waiting for the new barrel which was pretty alarming. At that point I called and asked for a refund and they obliged. So they did one thing right.

Ordered up an X-Caliber barrel which had none of the flaws of the McGowan. Shot sub-MOA out of the box (and still is).
That makes 1 wonder if other companies that list in stock are from returns? Sad day when companies resell mistakes!

Yeah, you got to drill them because they come smaller for suppressor use.
The CBI barrel shot the best in groupings. My 2nd shot I thought I missed so I checked the target and it went into the 1st.... well close enough to being able to where it was

The CBI barrel shot the best in groupings. My 2nd shot I thought I missed so I checked the target and it went into the 1st.... well close enough to being able to where it was
Love CBI in bolt gun barrels. Haven't tried their AR barrels, but the Core series is next.
You know you can get a numbered drill bit kit from Harbor Freight and drill your ports to size...

Reactions: Top O' Texas
Except it was TWO barrels. The first which had chamber, rifling, gas port and crown issues and the second which had much of the same as was a replacement for the first after I returned it.
3 barrels for me. Never did get a decent one. I finally just gave up.

Love CBI in bolt gun barrels. Haven't tried their AR barrels, but the Core series is next.
You know you can get a numbered drill bit kit from Harbor Freight and drill your ports to size...
I have their m118 chamber 308win barrels also that are great and somehow shoot softer than other 308win AR barrels. Both are 22" 11 twist hybrids.

Reactions: FredHammer