• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mcmillan 50 muzzle brake help

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
I recently had to have my Mcmillan Tac-50 muzzle brake removed and sent off to get refinished due to a deep scratch. I have got the brake back and am looking for the type of thread lock you guys would recommend me use for re-installation.

Thanks

Re: Mcmillan 50 muzzle brake help

Is that something I could pick up locally or need to order online
Thanks for the quick response

Rocksett for all practical purposes, is permanent. In your case, it is not necessary.

Blue loctite would be fine if you wanted to be able to remove it later. Red loctite if you wanted a little more security. However, if you have a way to get a wrench on it in order to torque it, I would just do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is approved by the ATF to permanently attach a flash hider to a short barrel.</div></div>

Please supply said ATF approved information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use thread lock on any of my 50 BMG brakes.I remove them everytime the guns gets cleaned. </div></div>

+1

McM doesn't use any threadlocker on their muzzle brakes. Just clamp the barrel in a vise closest to the muzzle and use a large crescent wrench (with tape on the jaws to prevent scratches) and give the muzzle brake a good snug.

OK i think ill try snugging it up good and take it out to the range.

Thanks for all the info

OK i think ill try snugging it up good and take it out to the range.

Thanks for all the info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is approved by the ATF to permanently attach a flash hider to a short barrel.</div></div>

Please supply said ATF approved information. </div></div>

Quite the contrary, apparently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 U.S.C. section
921(a)(30(B). Industrial adhesive products are not an acceptable
method for permanently attaching a muzzle device."</div></div>

Pin and spot weld is one of the 2 ways you can do it....
Rocksett is not permanent you can get it off by..... freezing it or soaking it in a soapy water solution for 24 hrs.

1100+ degree silver solder also appears to be an approved method as well.

Just got a call from Mcmillan,

"snug it down and do not use any thread lock"

Thanks again for the help fellas

Pin and weld a BMG break WTF. use a strap wrench or a soft mouth grips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pin and weld a BMG break WTF. use a strap wrench or a soft mouth grips. </div></div>

ever tried putting a McM Tac50 in a barrel vise and tightening it down? I hope you have an extra set hands. I installed a AAC Cyclops break on mine and it took one to hold the barreled action in the vise and then the other had to turn the 18" wrench to torque it down.

Yes, LOL. I've had more than a couple different BMG's.