• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A-3

Brux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2013
GA
Does anybody have one of these stocks or have had one and if so how did you like it?Height of cheek piece,comfort of palm swell ETC.Thinking about getting one.Thanks for the input.

McMillan A-3

I find it to be a reach to the trigger unless you float the thumb.

And get KMW hardware or forget it: the McM adjustment mechanism(s) are cheap and flimsy.

I have an A-3 with with a thumbwheel adjustable cheek piece and adjustable three way butt. The rifle is a 6.5 CM with a 26" Brux Light 16 Palma with a 1:8 twist built on a blue printed 700 SA. The rifle is one of my favorites and the palm swell fits my hand comfortably and the cheek piece works well. The fore arm is shallow and not as wide as the A-5. You may want to look at the A 3-5 as well.

I find it to be a reach to the trigger unless you float the thumb.

And get KMW hardware or forget it: the McM adjustment mechanism(s) are cheap and flimsy.

I was wandering about the trigger reach,I don't have big hands,so I guess its not considered a vertical grip.

I like the A3. It's not a bulky as the A5. I guess I float my thumb anyways, it rides along the top by the tang and I am quite comfortable.
Stockdoc is the guy who does some nice work on installing adjustable cheek pieces. I just use a Triad stock pack stuffed with Velcro strips and it works great.

I have an A3 with the LRI 2.4 Ultac cheek hardware, & really, really like it, it allows for perfect cheek weld & scope/eye alignment for me. I don't have big hands & find trigger reach is perfect for me. Grip feel is also nice & repeatable. Comfortable forend, and LOP. Overall good multi purpose stock. Good offhand & prone. I tried a few other stocks & found the grips too large & caused my grip hand to feel less secure, & not as repeatable, not so with the A3. I've got a second A3 at LRI and will add their Ultac hardware to this one also, and a Gamescout for another build on the way which has the A3 grip as well, it will also sport Ultac 2.4 stuff. I would call and see if you can test drive the stock of your choice. Hope this helps.
only pics I have are on my cell phone. PM me & I'd be happy to send ya pics, but best bet is to get your hands on one.

My favorite McMillan tactical stock. I float my thumb on my HTG/M40s so the distance from grip to trigger is moot for me. A3 is like an A2, but more streamlined.

Thanks for the reply's.It will be used mostly for benchrest shooting.I looked up the A-3 Sporter and it might fit the bill better.The gun won't be shot in the prone position much.

I have two of these stocks. Neither has adjustable cheek hardware. I prefer a padded stock pack to get he weld I want. I have smaller hands and it fits me well. I had a GAP with a Manners stock, it was too much of a palm swell for me. The A-3 is a lightweight stock with no butthook. I prefer the slanted stock in the rear.
Hope this helps YMMV-Rob

Ergonomics vary for every shooter but I found the A-3 comfortable for prone and offhand shooting, light enough that carrying the thing for several miles of walking woods and plowed fields was not uncomfortable. I have an A-5 now and will probably sell it and go back to the A-3.

I have an A 3 in molded marble camo I like it allot I have an A 5 sniper fill also and I like them both, I had an AI 1.5 first and the recoil is much lighter in the McMillian. I have the thumb wheel cheek on the A 3
and the set screw on the A 5. My A 3 thumb screws shoot loose and have to be re tightened that would be the down swing for me. I do like the wider fore end overall on the A 5 but its not that big a deal
I had read where the A 3 was very popular they have them in stock often at Long range hunting.com and some good reviews.

I've tried a several different McMillan stock configs and chassis over the last bunch of years, and the A3 has won me over for my heavier rigs. Have a few now, just bedded the 6.5SAUM into an A3, got from Bugholes. The A3 is a bit short in the comb, especially when runnin' a 20moa base, so threw a stock pack on , for now...
658713E2-4EB6-4D71-BE70-EFB4AE725B4F_zpsg53czvmw.jpg

Prolly end up sending the above A3 to Stockdoc for KMW hardware, same as on this A3...
1A99E1E9-12FB-4725-8C39-2FD06E6620A6-2731-0000020BC8DF1440_zps5311f5a9.jpg

Also, I run Micky gamescouts on some hunting rigs. The GameScout shares the A3's rear end ergos, so that familiar 'feel' is there, but they still need a lift in the comb. Put a Karstens cheekpiece on my .22-243 to get it just right. You will note the difference in the GameScout, where it transitions to a more svelt, rounded, Rem Classic forend. More comfy to hold up front, sits better in shootin' stix, as compared to the squared off A3...
Spring2013032_zps1c327888.jpg

All boils down to personal preference. Good shootin' & have fun deciding!

I have an A-3 (stock-doc currently installing KMW) and Manners T2A & T6A. You mentioned you're going to be shooting off the bench mostly. If you're going to be shooting off a rest, the T2A has a wider fore-end and will ride better. I am using the A-3 (6.5 creed) for some mid-range f class. What I did was have Keith at Wyoming Armory install a piece of aluminum (2" wide x 1/8" stuff you can get at Ace Hardware, then cut to length, two holes and then attach to bottom of fore-end via sling stud points...).

Also have a McMillian Tooley MBR that LRI is putting the 2.4 ultac on.

Last edited: