• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A-5's

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    To other McMillan A-5 stock owners: IS it me or once you have a rifle with this stock, you start thinking that all of your rifles should have the same glory??

Re: McMillan A-5's

SS and AresSBR-

Once you find what works for you you will want to have more, be it McM, AICS, or Manners.

But I doubt that someone that got an A5 and now wants to outfit all his sticks with one would like AICS's too much. They are usually mutually exclusive.
    -kinda like 1911's an d Glocks, few shooters enjoy shooting both, and each has its own substantial following.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AresSBR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ever tried an AICS??? ;-) </div></div>

I have looked at the AICS stocks, but absolutley HATE the way they look. But, I haven't shouldered one yet, so I won't say I despise them....
    grin.gif

Oh yeah, GO GLOCKS!!! haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS and AresSBR-

Once you find what works for you you will want to have more, be it McM, AICS, or Manners.

But I doubt that someone that got an A5 and now wants to outfit all his sticks with one would like AICS's too much. They are usually mutually exclusive.
    -kinda like 1911's an d Glocks, few shooters enjoy shooting both, and each has its own substantial following.</div></div>

answer has been repeated so many times, no matter how you put it. it always = personal preference. I've bought every a series McMillan and have decided to stick to the A-5, to me it was the most comfortable of them all.

to each their own, the a5 is great but i prefer any thumbhole other than aics. whether it be a tube gun or a xlr chassis, manners t5a, sentinell,they just seam more controllable to me.

just my .02cents

I love my A5, but am really am developing a similar love for my A3. The A5 rules for prone/more squarish range shooting, but the A3 feels handier, yet solid and substantial in crazy ass field positions.....

I think the Manners T4 has a certain "handiness" edge in feel to my A5.

That said, it would take a perfectly (for me) set up T4A w/mini chassis to get me to let go of my A5....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    That said, it would take a perfectly (for me) set up T4A w/mini chassis to get me to let go of my A5....</div></div>

I just placed an order for this same setup. Coming from an AICS they both have their advantages. I just like how light the Manners is.

I've been an A5 fan for awhile, recently got the Manners thumbhole, it will not be my last. I have large hands, the palm swell fits me better (which I hadn't anticipated, since the A5, I always thought, fit me "almost perfectly."

The A5 is a great stock, no question.

(AICS wasn't made for man-sized fellas with man-sized hands. Had one - a 1.5 - sold it. It fit my wife good though. She's 5'6" with small hands.)

I have an A5 and an identical rifle in AICS also. I'd have to say I prefer the AICS but that's just my .02

Love my A5, although an A3 is probably going on the next rifle. I have the wife's rifle in an AICS right now, because it was the quickest to get online (available off the shelf, and no bedding required) while the McMillan is on order. Plus, it was a good excuse to get some time in with this platform. :)

I was a bit worried that working the bolt was going to be an issue, having to constantly get in and out of the thumbhole, but in reality, it's just not an issue. It doesn't slow me down, catch constantly, etc.

So, as everyone else said, best bet is to just get some time behind each and see what you like...

+1 to personal preference. I've handled all these stocks at one point or another and settled on the A5 simply bc it fit me best. When mounted properly all the stocks mentioned are strong as nails and will improve rifle accuracy.

There are 4 new A-5's on Ebay that just got listed. Starting price is 750.00 for each....

I have one A5 and the others are M40 HTG. I like both for different reasons but the A5 is my favorite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To other McMillan A-5 stock owners: IS it me or once you have a rifle with this stock, you start thinking that all of your rifles should have the same glory?? </div></div>

I have four builds on Mac A5's. I like to keep everything the same for feel. If my first Tac stock would have been a T4A I'd probably have four of those. I've shot friends T4A's and they are damn nice...

I started with the AICS and hated it. The thumbhole grip was too close to the trigger for me. I never could get a proper trigger finger placement without my knuckle pushing the bolt handle up.

I switched to the McM A3. A fellow team member had the A5, which I strongly considered, but I personally felt like the button hook interferred when using a rear bag. I settled on the A3 and have never looked back!

I have 2 A5's on 2 PGWDTI rifles and like them.

AICS stocks? I hate thumbhole stocks - they beat up my thumb joint.