• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A-Hole review...

clark98ut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
Liberty Hill, TX
<span style="font-style: italic">First I want to apologize to the guys at McMillan for taking so long to post this review. I've been super busy this summer, and the 100 degree plus days we've had for the past several months haven't exactly been conducive to doing a lot of shooting. But with that said, I finally got to spend some time with my A-Hole, so here goes!</span>

As anybody who has ordered a swirly from McMillan knows, you never quite know what your stock is going to look like when you get it. The final results of the mixture you specified weeks before when you spec'ed your stock might look totally different than what you had envisioned. When my A-Hole arrived in that familiar white box, and I opened it up, I was very happy with the way it turned out. After dropping my barreled action in my new A-Hole, here's how it looks. For reference, that's a Remington 700 short action with a 27" Rock Creek M40 contour 1:8" barrel, chambered in 223AI by IT&D. Trigger is a Timney, and I'm running a 20MOA aluminum Talley tactical base, TPS rings and a Sightron SIII 10x42. Triggerguard is a SS PT&G unit.

DSC0590-L.jpg

As has been mentioned here in the past, the A-Hole comes standard with an adjustable cheekpiece. I've never used one, and deferred to Ryan on the choice between the thumbwheel and the integral, and I'm glad I did, as I really like the integral cheekpiece. It adjusts easily and stays put after you lock it down with no tools. As most of you guys who've spent any time behind a "tactical" rig know, the picatinny rails and larger objective scopes usually result in a scope that is mounted higher than your typical hunting-style setup. This in turn causes issues with eye/scope alignment. The adjustable cheekpiece cures all that allowing your eye to line up perfectly while being able to maintain a nice cheekweld.

DSC0592-L.jpg

Another feature of this stock which is seen on other A-series McMillans is the thumb hook (see above). I'm still up in the air on this, as most of my time behind a rifle like this is spent at the range with a front rest and a bag out back. The butthook doesn't allow the smooth travel in the bags that a standard buttstock does. But if you're one of those guys that spends most of their time on your stomach, shooting off a bipod, I can definitely see where it comes in handy. Using your off hand, you can pull the rifle into your shoulder tightly, and make slight adjustments easily.

The forearm is very similar in shape to the A3 which is probably my favorite McMillan stock. It rides the bags well, but feels right at home with a bipod attached as well. But the A-Hole isn't a direct copy, and has a feature similar to McMillan's A1-3 with a groove cut down the side of the forearm. The one thing I've noticed about this feature is that it makes for a really good feeling stock when shooting offhand as it adds a little more "handle" to the forearm. The picture below is the best shot I have of this feature.

265202156948811042981100001835-L.jpg

The one thing I haven't mentioned, and the most unique feature of the A-Hole, is the thumbhole. I've owned quite a few McMillans over the years, as well as a few other custom stocks, but I've never spent any time with a thumbhole stock, so this was a first for me. The thing I noticed about the thumbhole is how easy it made manipulating the stock. Moving right or left, up or down, was very simple, and shooting was very comfortable, and not at all unnatural or awkward.

I can honestly say I really like the thumbhole. While I don't know if I'll be selling all my A3s and buying A-Holes, I really like the ergos on this stock. I shot it offhand, with a bipod and no bag, and with a front rest and a rear bag, and any combo/position was very natural and comfortable. So, if any of you guys are ever in Central Texas, and feel like swinging by to check it out, just let me know. I'd be proud to show off my A-Hole!
wink.gif

smugshot9131874-L.jpg

smugshot3661650-L.jpg

smugshot6530673-L.jpg

Re: McMillan A-Hole review...

That thing looks awesome! My A5 will <span style="font-style: italic">finally</span> be here on tuesday.
cry.gif
I am so nervous about how it will look I almost can't sleep. This is my first custom stock and I can't wait to get it.

thank you Dan for posting a review.

Really nice stock, not too flattering of a name. A lot of Beavis and Butthead moments reading your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShootToWin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you Dan for posting a review. </div></div>

Thank you & McMillan for giving me one to review!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really nice stock, not too flattering of a name. A lot of Beavis and Butthead moments reading your post.</div></div>

You'll have to talk to Ryan about that. He's the one that named it.
grin.gif

That does look good! I'd like to check one out before I got one though. I really like the feel of the Terry Cross stock and the T5.

The mix of colors with that stainless barrel is absolutely gorgeous in the natural outside light. Been wanting to see/read more about these stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That does look good! I'd like to check one out before I got one though. I really like the feel of the Terry Cross stock and the T5.</div></div>

Well, I'm not just blowin' smoke. If you (or anyone else for that matter) is ever around, give me a shout and we'll see if you can't swing by and take a look at it.

Nice write up! Thanks for the information, I am a big fan of the thumbhole stocks.

Sooooo, If I read your post correctly, you're offering to let guys come by and put their thumb in your A-Hole???

Sorry, couldn't resist and nice write-up on the stock. It looks real good with your barreled action.

I would love to write the instruction manual for that stock:

"For proper installation, one should not just jam the action in the a-hole. Rather, it is best to inspect action and a-hole thoroughly to ensure a proper fit. Bedding the a-hole is preferred for best action alignment. If needed, do not hesitate to call our A-Hole representatives at 555-5555..."

Ryan,

Will these have a base price of the tactical, hunting, or other?

What a great looking stock!!! Nice setup!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sooooo, If I read your post correctly, you're offering to let guys come by and put their thumb in your A-Hole???</div></div>

That's right. Come fondle my A-Hole...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ryan,

Will these have a base price of the tactical, hunting, or other?</div></div>

I'd say the base price is the tactical plus the adjustable cheek piece since a fixed cheekpiece is not an option on this stock. At least that's my understanding.

Any idea on availability? I've checked their website and it's not listed. I'm partial to thumbhole stocks for all the reasons mentioned in the review. For me, they just fit and are very comfortable. I've tried the Manners T5 and really like it, but now I may have to wait on a purchase to try the McMillan. I do agree with Clark in the review. I wish Manners or McMillan would offer a model without the butthook. It would make for much more flexible rear bag positioning.

Thanks for the review.

How is the shooting chrony working out for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HighRez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea on availability?</div></div>

Send Ryan, "ShootToWin" above, a PM and ask. He'll get back to you pretty quickly, but I assume that they're just like other McMillan stocks. Place your order and wait impatiently until they're done.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the shooting chrony working out for you?</div></div>

It's ok. Not great, but not bad either. Lighting conditions seem to really affect it, but as long as you know that, and don't take each reading as gospel, but look at averages, it gets the job done.

The A-hole stock will be priced like our tactical stocks.

They are available now and will be up on our website soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clark98ut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But with that said, I finally got to spend some time with my A-Hole, </div></div>

lamo sorry but i found that rather amusing.

Thanks for the review. Looks as comfortable as the a3 grip wise cause it doesn't look like the angle or swell is different. Great, another stock to consider... Badass swirly though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to write the instruction manual for that stock:

"For proper installation, one should not just jam the action in the a-hole. Rather, it is best to inspect action and a-hole thoroughly to ensure a proper fit. Bedding the a-hole is preferred for best action alignment. If needed, do not hesitate to call our A-Hole representatives at 555-5555..." </div></div>

That is pure gold...
laugh.gif