• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcmillan A1-3 Feedback??

Bluegill68

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2010
Hello,

I am at the beginning of a build and just looking for information on the Mcmillan A1-3. I will be using the rifle primarily for predators. I typically shoot sitting down, with and without a monopod. My question is. How does this stock handle in this situation or is more designed to be shot prone off a bi-pod or bag??

I am still struggling on which direction I want to head with the build, ultralight carry rifle or mid-weight Tactical hunter.

Thanks Sean

Re: Mcmillan A1-3 Feedback??

What exactly are you looking for in a stock? Do you like the more traditional rear portion as compared to the more vertical grip on like an A2 or A5? Do you want a wider forend or slimmer? How light do you want it?

Not to make it tougher on you but if you like the A1-3 some other options you might look at are the McMillan HTG and Winchester Marksman. The Winchester Marksman has a higher comb in the rear if you will be using a scope with a larger objective it might be more comfortable. It also has a more rounded forend. Also look at the Manner's Ultrlight line.

The A1-3 is my favorite stock.

For me, the traditional grip of the A1/HTG/A1-3 just feels right in the shooting hand and the added width of the forearm sits better in your offhand for position shooting. This also makes it feel more stable when laying across a ruck or in a tripod.

The added comb height - compared to an A1/HTG - is perfect for me as well, all I add is a piece of moleskin to prevent my cheek from slipping when it is sweaty and I have perfect alignment with a NF 50mm scope in Badger .823" tall rings.

I have sold off an A2 and an AICS to have all my rifles the same. I won't buy another rifle without an A1-3 stock.

I'd recommend finding one close to home that you can shoot side by side to others and get what works best for you.

My favorite as well. The finger grooves on the forearm have a really nice feel for offhand shooting. Mine is sniper-fill, but I will order my next one as light as possible for a carry/hunting rifle.

Thanks for the input.

I do prefer the looks of a more traditional stock than that of the A2. The A1-3 looks great but I have never handled one. This will be my carry/calling gun primarily for predators. I would like to keep it around 9.5-10.5 # with glass. The extra weight will be fine as I rarely go more than a mile.

I am currently running a Rem. Predator in .243 with a 3.5x 10 zeiss on it comes out at 8 1/4. It is not a bad shooter and is just fine for what I need but I guess I am just looking for something a little more special.

I agree it would be great to see one in person. I'll call my smith and see if he has built one.

I like the more traditional feel myself and that's why my rifles have the McMillan HTG/M40A1 stocks and Manners T3 stocks. Just figure out what you want the forend to feel like. The HTG is a slimmer forend than the A1/A3. The Win Marksman has the more rounded forend like the A5. The T3 is similar to the Win Marksman.

I have an A1-3 on the rifle I am currently working on, I like it. The comb is higher than an HTG, but not by a huge amount.
Mine is sniper fill, it is not too heavy IMO.
Here is a photo...
DSC_5469.jpg

Reactions: NDSU

wilshire1412,
What the weight of that rig? better yet the specs?

Thanks Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluegill68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wilshire1412,
What the weight of that rig? better yet the specs?

Thanks Sean </div></div>

I have not had the rifle as you see it on a scale yet, a rough guess would be 13 pounds total with bipod. It is noticeably lighter than my GA Precision M40A1 which is just shy of 15 pounds total.

The rifle is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a .308 Remington 5R stainless barrel installed. I have an older Remington trigger on it along with Badger M5 DBM set up with the RAD TAC latch from R&D Precision. McMillan A1-3 (obviously) in desert camo with an Eagle khaki stock pack, Harris 6-9 swivel bipod with Pod Loc. Scope is SB 3-12x50 GenII MTC Military in Seekins low rings and a Seekins 20 moa base.

I am going to have the barrel cut back a few inches and get a brake installed next.

<span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Just to throw a winkle in your decision.
here is the new A3 sporter it feels great. This gun weighs 8 1/4 lbs as seen. The barrel is only 20" BUT IT IS #6 SHILEN.</span></span>.
300WSM1.jpg

300WSM2.jpg

I have two rifles with the A1-3. I had an A5 but did not care for the wide fore end and the grip profile. I have another rifle with the HTG that I will most likely change out to the A1-3 as well.

A1-3 stocks are nice.

To me the comb is not high enough. Even with a 30mm tube and standard height Badgers.

I would look real hard at :

Manners Mcst ( for a standard size forend)
Manners Mcst3 ( for a wide forend)
McMillian ADJ HTG

If MCM made a ADJ A1/3 I would own one for sure. Until then, I'll stick with the three above

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like that McMillan action? </div></div>

It's smooth...like baby ass.
wink.gif

Not my rifle but I had a hand in helping put together this compact urban rifle for a friend. It's basically a McM Tac-308 but in a A1-3 stock and has the Gemtech adapter installed.

I wish it was mine.
cool.gif

Specs:

RH McM G30 action in .308
20" bbl 1-11" Schneider w/ Gemtec supressor adaptor (Gemtec Sandstorm can)
Rifle-Basix tuned trigger w/ 2.5# pull
Badger DBM M5 bottom metal
Olive Cera-coat finish
A1-3 stock (50% Tan, 25% Olive, 25% Black)
Sporter fill with pillars
Badger Rings & Base
Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Just to throw a winkle in your decision.
here is the new A3 sporter it feels great. This gun weighs 8 1/4 lbs as seen. The barrel is only 20" BUT IT IS #6 SHILEN.</span></span>.
</div></div>

I have the new A3 Sporter and the A1-3. I prefer the A1-3, it's a great stock for hunting, shooting sitting and offhand.

What about the A-3 Sporter stock did you not like as well as the A1-3 stocks? I am about to purchase one or the other and would really appreciate some feedback from someone whose used both.