• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A5 or B&C A5

snipedogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Florida
I have a dilemma which should be easy for me but for some reason it isn't and I figured I'd get the advice of you guys before I decide. I am on a budget, not an extremely tight one, but it's a budget. I need to replace my stock on my L/A 700P 300 RUM and I was going to just get the B&C A5 stock which is right at $400. It has the aluminum bedding block, fully adjustable, and I like the grip a lot. Then I found a McMillan A5 for $500. This is my dilemma started. Do I spend the extra $100 for the Mcmillan, it's non adjustable so I will need to add an adjustable cheek piece, and possibly bed it as well, or do I stick with my original plan? Both of these stocks fit me good and I like the look of both as well and just can't make up my mind and I need to by Monday. I haven't seen a comparison of these 2 stocks before so hopefully this will help other guys in my position. I will be shooting from both prone and from a bench with this gun and weight is not a huge concern.

I know most guys here use McMillan or Manners stocks so I'm sure I will get most guys telling me to choose the Mcmillan, but if any of you have used both I'd really like to hear what you think and why.

Thanks, Jordan

a-5_lg.jpg

bc_2094r.jpg

Re: McMillan A5 or B&C A5

I personally think the B&C A5 cost puts it in the price range of the nicer stock and out of it market. If you have the money or patience to wait and get the better stock, Get the Better stock.

While the B&C offers features that are nice such as the adjustable cheek rest, it is my opinion that the McMillan is a much better stock. The construction is better throughout (talk to those that have tried to ass a flush cup to the side of a B&C stock) on the McMillan, and I much prefer a gel-coat finish to the painted ones.

The B&C is certainly a step-up from factory offerings, but I prefer McMillans by a large amount.

The B&C will be very heavy too, if that matters to you.

I should have said this already, there's also no need to wait for it to be built, the McMillan I am looking at is available now.

If you were ever to sell it I think the MCM would have better resale.