• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan adjustable cheek rests

SpookM14

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Mountain West
Has anyone ever sent their McMillan stocks back to McMillan for them to put an adjustable check pad on their stocks? I have contacted McMillan directly and spoke to Ryan Melancon and for the cost of 128 bucks they will install an adjustable cheek pad. I was just wondering if anyone has done it and if anyone could post some picks. I'm on the edge of doing it to one of my rifles so I thought I would ask. I like the feel of the metal cheek pads over the kydex ones as well.

The saddle cheekpiece used by mcmillan sucks. The two screws that are intended to maintain the height of the saddle work loose after a couple shots. Imo one is better served by a stockpack and velcro spacers.

Reactions: Twinsen
The saddle cheekpiece used by mcmillan sucks. The two screws that are intended to maintain the height of the saddle work loose after a couple shots. Imo one is better served by a stockpack and velcro spacers.

Exactly this. My thumb wheel screws come loose every time no matter what after three shots. I started a thread about it recently in the gunsmith section, and there is some really good advice for modifying it to not come loose. But in my opinion, there should be no need to have to modify anything after the price I paid for the stock

Reactions: Twinsen
Score High Gunsmithing

A link to a FIX.

I've got one of the std Mc Millan adjustables as well as one of the Logger heads. It IS annoying how the std comb comes loose.
Then again as an old Trap shooter our fix for the same issue on our mod'd trap guns was to use nylon washers as SPACERS. Worked pretty well.

I do think the fix from the above link is worth a look. Next Mc M I get I'm going to try that hardware. Yeah it's annoying to spend an EXTRA $85 for something Mc M should have repaired by now.

But no one ever said this hobby was cheap.

FN in MT

Have used all three types. The KMW Loggerhead installed by Stockdoc replaced a stock pack and is by far the best of the three options.

OFG

I have seen these before but I didn't know they could be installed on a standard stock. I will defiantly look into if it can be installed on a standard stock. Thanks guys

Exactly this. My thumb wheel screws come loose every time no matter what after three shots. I started a thread about it recently in the gunsmith section, and there is some really good advice for modifying it to not come loose. But in my opinion, there should be no need to have to modify anything after the price I paid for the stock

I was so pissed when I had my FN and had to deal with the substandard design. No wonder you see duct tape, etc on nearly all of them in the field. I would guess since Uncle Sam is buying them, it's the only reason they still have them around. To bad FN doesn't offer a better option without having to spend money on aftermarket.

I have noticed that some McMillan stocks instead of having an external cheek pad they have internal ones. Does this happen on both types or is it just the external ones? I have a McMillan M3A on my M1A with no issues but I rarely shoot it so I can't really say. I do like their cheek pieces better than the kydex ones as I stated before because they feel alot more robust and not as cheap.

I saw the pictures of Stockdoc's work and I'm very impressed!!! I think I would go that route or maybe the loggerhead route. Does anyone know if the loggerhead mount can be installed on a standard stock or if it has to be pre modified? I could always PM them and find out I guess. Ill chew on this for a few days and then make my decision. I will also post pictures when it's all put together.

Hey guys I am the new guy posting here and want to give you some information. Talking to Ryan you will find out that the Mc Millan cheek piece hardware have been redesigned. Mc millan now has 2 types of Saddle cheek pieces and 2 types of adjustable cheek pieces.

The New saddle check pieces have been redesigned to use a clamp bar mechanism so it now has positive lock and these are now being installed on all new stocks that come with saddle cheek pieces. The older saddle c/p have been modified with threaded Steel inserts that allow the side bolts to lock in giving you a positive lock. No longer will the lockdown nuts work their way out while shooting your rifle. You may have to ask for it because many customers don't know its available. I have had my M3A modified with these inserts. It locks down solid. No issues anymore and I prefer the old Saddle c/p over the new design.

Strike 33 is right about the clamp bar adjustable c/p. I would say imo its a very solid design. Both the KMW and the clamp bar work in very similar ways to lock the c/p down. I don't think you can go wrong with either. As for the Thumbwheel c/p, redesigning the stock c/p inlet have solved the problems customers had with Tw c/p's in the past.

Just some information you might want to know. Sin.

If you expect thumb screws to not come loose with tightened with the thumbs your bound to be disapointed and perhaps do not recognice the design for what it is. It is what it is, thumb screws....

2 options, use a pair of pliers and snug the bolts down, you need the metal screws to slightly bite into the aluminum cheek piece center pose is all. Alternativly once set to height use a tad of blue locktight. They never come loose from either or both of those. Once set no reason to change it.

That said mine is at stockdoc as we speak. My reason was not nuts coming loose, I hated how the cheek piece pushes the face far out, I prefer a more streamlined approach with eye closer to center.

If you all have not seen his work, check into it. Frankly it looks better than a factory job, beats saddles and pads and the price is shockingly reasonable.

The first couple of A5s I ordered from McM had thumb wheel adj cheekpieces, which worked fine. But the clampbar adjustable integral cheek piece is lighter, doesn't rattle, and has no locking screws to come loose and/or fall out. Did a rifle for a customer who showed me the KMW hardware in his Manners stock, and decided that was the way to go. I've got several McMs - mostly A5s & one A3-5 - with the McM clamp bar mechanism, and am pretty well satisfied with it. It's dirt simple to remove the CP before cleaning a rifle with the clamp bar set-up, and easy to replace it when you're done.

Have thought about taking the time to machine grooves in the front post of my McM clamp bar cheek pieces so I could use an 'E' clip and essentially have the same set-up as a KMW, but honestly, it just doesn't seem like I have a problem getting the cheek piece adjusted to suit when it's time to shoot.

Does stockdoc convert non-adjustable A5s into adjustable ones by cutting the cheek piece out & 'glassing the cut surfaces of stock & CP? I've got a nice desert camo A5 on a 280 AI that I'd like to convert if it's feasible.

Like you I considered sending my rifle to McM to have their saddle cheek piece done. After calling them about it I scrapped that idea pretty quick. Glad I did.

If I were you I would go the route you are going with Stockdoc. His work looks pretty nice.