• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan, AI, or Manners?

jtclarke

Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
Virginia
I'm having my first custom rifle built by a local (well relatively local shop) and I'm down to the choice of stock. The rifle will be a .260 rem, I'm hoping to do f-class and maybe some tactical matches with it. I'm somewhat new to the world of custom bolt guns and am looking for advice between McMillan, AI, or Manners. What are some of the pros and cons of each stock? Which would work well for both f-class and tactical? Thanks for the help.

As far as bedded stocks go, I'm a Manners fan. Their service and support is second to none. If available they will even send you a loaner do your can test the feel. The AI has a reputation as being bombproof and for good reason. I personally am not comfortable with the AX.
For F-class my vote goes to Manners. If you're going to beat the snot out of it then the AI may be the way to go as uou bolt on new skins. Best of luck with the build

Which ever fits you the best.

This is what it boils down to and I hate pistol grips or thumbholes on a bolt gun. That leaves me McMillan or Manners and have multiples of both over the years I like Manners stocks better. I like the higher comb and the grip feel as well as the forend. I like the T3 Manners but any of their offerings are excellent and as mentioned they have the best customer service in the business. Tom Manners is here on the Hide to help and answer questions as well.

Your best bet is go to a match and ask if you can get behind a few to see what works for you. Most guys are really nice and will let you have a go with their rifle.

Personally, I hated the older style skins on the AI rifles, but I could shoot it just fine. It just didn't have comfort that I was getting from others. I've had McMillans and they aren't bad at all, but there are different styles.

At the moment, I personally own a Manners T4A (with mini chassis) and an AX. The advantage to the chassis systems is that you don't have to buy bottom metal and pay for a bedding job like you would on a McMillan. So far, I find the AX much, much more comfortable than the "legacy" style stocksides on the older AIs. The T4A fits me better and is slightly more comfortable prone, but position shooting is better with the AX.

Another consideration is if you'll need a folder or not. If you drive a car to matches, sometimes the folder can be handy.

Good luck with your decision. Hard to go wrong with any of the three you mention as far as quality goes.

I Have a McM A4 and I love it. Not a big fan of the feel of the AI and never shot a Manners. sry

I have a McMillan A3, A5 and a Manners T4. My overall favorite is the T4. For bench shooting, the A5 is like a couch for your face and posture. But out in the field I prefer my A3 and T4 better.

I have owned all three. For a general hunting stock, the Manners MCS-T or McMillan HTG are hard to beat. For predominantly prone shooting, I am most comfortable behind an AI. But that is me. You really have to get behind them and see what works best for you.

I have used a Manners T3, T4, and T5 and a MCM A5. All of them work well, but I like the T3 the best. However, I probably wouldn't mind a MCM A1-3 either and would probably go with the one that had the shortest lead time.

The Manners T4 and MCM A5 are like driving a Cadillac Escalade. The T3 and the MCM 1-3 would be like a BMW M series.

Never tried an AICS but I have read on multiple threads that they are heavy (the price of being rugged).

Manners for their outstanding customer service alone. I have two T4A's which I'm very happy with. Sold my only McMillan.

Personally I'm a McMillan fan. They just fit me best. I say find one that fits and don't look back

Night eagle

I found the AI with thumb hold to be uncomfortable to grip, but I have stubby fingers. I like the thumb hole design, because you can hold on the rifle in odd positions. I ended up going with the Manners T5A. It was the best of both worlds to me. I have used Manners CS, and it was good.

Chip

I found the AI with thumb hold to be uncomfortable to grip, but I have stubby fingers. I like the thumb hole design, because you can hold on the rifle in odd positions. I ended up going with the Manners T5A. It was the best of both worlds to me. I have used Manners CS, and it was good.

Chip
I have never been able to try on the AI and the sight of the thumb hole has been repelling.
Interesting to hear that description.

I have never been able to try on the AI and the sight of the thumb hole has been repelling.
Interesting to hear that description.

The thumb hole on the Manners is bigger. And the grip is a little more vertical. It really seems more ergonomic. When shooting from barriers, railings, and other unconventional positions it feels like you have a more secure grip on the rifle. It's hard to explain without experiencing it.

Thanks for all the help guys. It seems that Manners is getting quite a few votes. I've been behind a McMillan before and it's definitely a comfortable stock. From my understanding McMillan's lead times are a little on the long side as of right now, War is quoting me about six months for the complete build (that is if I can make up my mind on a stock and get it ordered). Right now I'm leaning toward Manners or AI. I am looking for durable, I tend to be pretty rough on anything I own. I think I might have to bite the bullet and take a trip to hopefully see some in action. To BusterB, I'm in Disputanta, about an hour south or Richmond, if you're in Bristol I know about where that is, my family had a cottage in Gloucester when I was little.