• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McMillan fix?

Northman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2005
On the thumbweel adjustable cheekpiece, Im wondering if its possible to change out the screws with torx screws?

I have read that they have a tendency to loosen up under recoil or in contact with clothing etc..

Has anybody tried to do something like this?

Re: McMillan fix?

Tighten em down where you want it, take it back apart and use a drill bit to make the dimple a little bigger. Another option is just keep tightening as you go and eventually it will stop loosening up once the tip gets a nice bit of contact from the pocket it slowly makes.

I've never had any trouble with my thumbwheel adjustable McMillans loosening up. I have had issue with the saddle type cheek piece loosening though. After a brief conversation with McMillan they told me to put a standard set screw on the opposite side of the stock as the knurled knob to effectively pinch the cheek piece between the two, worked like a champ. They offered to mail me the set screws but they're easily obtainable at any hardware or auto parts store.

The thumbwheel should be keeping it pretty well in place.
The Saddle style can come loose and fall down on you, but how can a thumbwheel piece fall down suddenly? The set screws may loosen, but you wouldnt get screwed and have to fix it before firing again.

You want to be able to quickly remove your bolt in the field too, remember. If you tighten the cheek piece in place and don't carry the torx wrench with you, be sure you can get your bolt out with it there.

Some guys put a piece of dowel or something down into the cheek piece housing so that even if it loosens up, it cant fall down. But you can still loosen and remove it in a snap.
Works with the Saddle very well. Cant see the thumbwheel one benefitting from it though.

Run down to your local ace hardware with one of the thumb screws in hand, math the size and threads up with some allen plugs, pay the gal up front your $.70, and go home happy.

Purple loc tite is designed for multiple uses and a good formula to use for this application. You need to go to a tooling shop to get it though - not a standard department or auto store item.

The reason I`m asking is because I saw a youtube clip, with a tactical match. One was using a McMillan stock with the thumbweel adjustable cheekpiece, and is was lose, wobbeling side to side when he removed his head.