• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan Game Scout Stock **New**

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Hey all I was informed by another member the other day about McMillan's new stock pattern. It is called the Game Scout. It is a mix of an A3 rear with vertical grip and the front end of the remington classic stock.

I liked the design so I changed my order to one for my hunting rifle.

Here is a link to the info about the stock:
McMillan Game Scout Stock

for those that only want a picture:

GameScout.jpg

Re: McMillan Game Scout Stock **New**

That looks pretty good. I may have found my next stock purchase. Thanks.

Nice, all the necessary ergonomics of the A3 without the weight. At 2 lbs standard fill it should be closer to 1.5 lbs with the Edge fill.

finally got my game scout and 18" creedmoor on the same day

75% black and 25% orange

002-4.jpg

004-2.jpg

006-3.jpg

013.jpg

Oh hell!! Lookin good!

Make sure you have that with you if we ever get to meet up at Donnavan's. I'd like to check that stock out. Really nice rifle.

Man, that looks nice. Gonna have to decide on a caliber to drop in one so I can get one on order.

That is damn near identical to the Greybull stocks. One of my favorite hunting stocks.

Very nice JCH!!

I gave this new game scout a ton of consideration and I think I may still put a order in for one later this year for my hunting rifle. I love the design and it has what I love in a tactical and hunting stock. The wait also killed the idea for me as I was trying to get my rifle finished in under 8 weeks.

I really like the color choice. It stands out but not too much.

Man that turned out great!

Awesome, I'm liking the look of these. Mine should be done in 8 weeks or so. Can't wait!

I'm really considering ordering a Gladius in one of these stocks with a fluted barrel.

That looks real nice. How do you like the stock fit and shape?

I'd like to see a line of bore vs. line of cheekpiece relationship drawn.

It looks like the line of the cheekpiece climbs towards the line of bore slightly. This is bad IMO as it will make the recoil drive your cheek/cheekbone into the stock and the perceived recoil increases.

Parallel or falling from the line of bore is better, especially for a light stock that will assuredly get heavy calibers put in it for lightweight hunting rifles.

That alone stops me from considering this stock. The rest of it looks fantastic, that needs to be fixed though.

Lookin' real good, JCH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see a line of bore vs. line of cheekpiece relationship drawn.
</div></div>

I'd wager it's parallel, that's how it looks to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see a line of bore vs. line of cheekpiece relationship drawn.
</div></div>

I'd wager it's parallel, that's how it looks to me. </div></div>

Center of bolt shroud to center of muzzle is the red line
Top of cheek piece is the cyan line. They certainly don't look parallel to me.

mcmillan_game_scout_lines.jpeg

Forgive my ignorance bohem, but what are the effects of what you noticed? Or is it just a personal preference kind of thing?

Hard to say, pictures can be deceiving. Here's the one from McMillan.

stock.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgive my ignorance bohem, but what are the effects of what you noticed? Or is it just a personal preference kind of thing? </div></div>

When the stock recoils back, it directs recoil into your cheek. It does matter, particularly with heavy calibers or lots of rounds.

Gun looks awesome but the stock needs some red instead of that orange

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to say, pictures can be deceiving. Here's the one from McMillan.

stock.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgive my ignorance bohem, but what are the effects of what you noticed? Or is it just a personal preference kind of thing? </div></div>

When the stock recoils back, it directs recoil into your cheek. It does matter, particularly with heavy calibers or lots of rounds. </div></div>

The reason I didn't use the pic from McMillan is because I have no way to reference where the barrel/action sit in the inlet as opposed to the top of the stock. There may be taper there that I can't verify. That's why I looked at the complete rifle.

Yes, Red_SC is correct and as I stated above, it drives recoil into the shooter's face from a climbing comb line.

ill get a pic with a cleaning rod coming out of the back of the action tonight for your reference. keep in mind my pics above are deceiving because the camera is below the rifle looking up.

Note to all, center line of action will be about .010" to .020" above the top of the stock. The drop at the nose of the comb is 5/8" and the back of the comb is 5/8". Comb is 5/8"below and parallel to center of bore.

Oops, I forgot, the original Remington Classic was about 9/16" at the nose of the comb and 7/8" at the back of the comb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">finally got my game scout and 18" creedmoor on the same day

75% black and 25% orange

013.jpg

</div></div>

Sharp! Nice theme addition on the bolt knob, BTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sharp! Nice theme addition on the bolt knob, BTW.</div></div>

thanks! most people don't notice that.

If Micky can inlet this for a Model Seven, I am soooooo ordering one!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Micky can inlet this for a Model Seven, I am soooooo ordering one!!!</div></div>

Fred you know you need one. It would be an excuse to start another build!!!

Did some load testing today. Seems to like the 130 Bergers and H4350

013.jpg

49b3a0b6.jpg

Looks like a shooter for sure. It sure was a beautiful day to shoot here in Oklahoma this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johninok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now you tell us, just ordered an HTG. that is a sharp rig.</div></div>

call McMillan and change it

I do wonder how well it would work on a heavy recoiling rifle....

any chance of getting this for the ruger scout rifle? (Hoping one of the mcm staff will chime in about what I can get for that).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">finally got my game scout and 18" creedmoor on the same day

75% black and 25% orange

002-4.jpg

004-2.jpg

006-3.jpg

013.jpg

</div></div>

F my life thats sexy....Holly shit balls!!!

in regards to recoil. I don't have a gamescout however I have 2 remington classic stocks from mcmillan. the game scout is a remington classic with a vertical grip everything else is the same. I think the classic does a decent job of handling recoil. I have ran one of my rifles a 270 win with an HTG and can say the mcmillan classic does alot better job on recoil than the HTG does. the HTG to me made my 270 feel like a 300 win mag. with recoil I would think the game scout would be the same as the classic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264HH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What barrel contour is on this gun?</div></div>

Rem Varmint. It is almost too big for the forearm.

My other game scout is coming contoured for a Krieger #4 Heavy Sporter. Should be about perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's sweet JCH, Jon beanland is building me a 6.5x47 lapua right now with a mcmilian game scout. </div></div>

You will love it. You should shoot Jon's load with 130 bergers. All his 6.5x47L love that load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do wonder how well it would work on a heavy recoiling rifle....</div></div>

It doesn't look like it but the rifle only has an 18.5" barrel. Recoil is pretty snappy with the 140amax's. It handles it fine. The palm area is almost an exact replica of the A series, everything else is smaller and thinner. Of course suppressed the rifle is a pussy cat.
grin.gif

Get that load through the chrono please.

Awesome rifle, 6 months ago I would have changed my order. Too late now the A3-5 will do.