• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear McMillan M40A1 Question

Big E

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2020
Arkansas
I recently purchased a Mod 700 with a M40A1 stock. The previous owner painted the stock. He told me the original color was the old school camo color and I would love to restore it to its ORIGINAL GLORY! Is there a way to remove the “aftermarket” paint to restore the original?
58134ADB-62F6-4CA1-B75A-28A6783ECEF2.jpeg

I’d say sending it back to McMillan is the best thing to do. There’s no way you’re going to unearth the original paint from underneath the previous owners rattle can job.

If “old school camo color” refers to McMillan’s molded in camo patterns, try acetone. It’ll remove spray paint without hurting the molded in color.

When you strip that paint, you will also strip the paint under it, if it's painted.
As post above states, call McMillan and discuss. Or...strip it and paint it yourself. It's not difficult.
Those citrus based strippers and others work well and you might discover you do not need to paint.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Those are good points. I hadn't considered that the original color might be molded in, in which case you could probably strip it down without too much trouble.

Thank you for all of the advise. I did strip it down and am 99% finished. I am really happy with the outcome. It is back to the original beauty. I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

Reactions: Habu64