mcmillan mtu htg stock question

feesix

Dipstick
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Sanford
Does anyone know if a rem sps tactical 308 varmint barrel will fit in a mcmillan htg stock with a mtu barrel channel? Thanks

RADcustom

Registered Coonass
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Re: mcmillan mtu htg stock question

I'm not sure what you are asking. The MTU contour is bigger, so there will be a gap between the stock and barrel.

feesix

Dipstick
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Sanford

Well i have a buddy who has mamillan stock for sale with a mtu contour. and its cheap, but the only rifle i have right now is the sps tactical.

DHDeal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2008
Gateway to the Lowcountry, SC

Just like RADcustom said, it will fit but the barrel will have a good bit more space around it.

Go to Krieger's website and take a look at the profiles and you will get a pretty good idea of the difference in profiles.

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska

A little bedding compound will close the gap in the barrel channel if needed or you could save it for a future build if the price is right.

MontanaMarine

MGySgt, Ret.
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2001
Canyon Ferry, MT

Here's a Rem varmint bbl in an A5 inletted for Douglas #7. Should be about the same gap as you would have with an MTU inlet.

308A51.jpg

308A5.jpg

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska

That amount of gap does not look bad at all. Personally, I prefer enough gap to know that the barrel will not touch instead of not enough.

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX

just consider it super free floated.

MontanaMarine

MGySgt, Ret.
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2001
Canyon Ferry, MT

I like to bed the full receiver, and put a pad of bedding under the first 1.5" or so ahead of the recoil lug. Whether or not it's necessary is the subject of many long debates.

IMG_0557.jpg

usmcMT

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Laurel Montana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steel core</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noob question. Is bedding required at all? Do you want a touch of support on the barrel, or just the receiver is enough? </div></div>Nothing NOOB about your question. Nobody knows it all. Thats why questions are asked..HTH Welcome BTW