• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mcmillan mtu htg stock question

feesix

Dipstick
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Sanford
Does anyone know if a rem sps tactical 308 varmint barrel will fit in a mcmillan htg stock with a mtu barrel channel? Thanks

Re: mcmillan mtu htg stock question

I'm not sure what you are asking. The MTU contour is bigger, so there will be a gap between the stock and barrel.

Well i have a buddy who has mamillan stock for sale with a mtu contour. and its cheap, but the only rifle i have right now is the sps tactical.

Just like RADcustom said, it will fit but the barrel will have a good bit more space around it.

Go to Krieger's website and take a look at the profiles and you will get a pretty good idea of the difference in profiles.

A little bedding compound will close the gap in the barrel channel if needed or you could save it for a future build if the price is right.

Here's a Rem varmint bbl in an A5 inletted for Douglas #7. Should be about the same gap as you would have with an MTU inlet.

308A51.jpg

308A5.jpg

That amount of gap does not look bad at all. Personally, I prefer enough gap to know that the barrel will not touch instead of not enough.

just consider it super free floated.

I like to bed the full receiver, and put a pad of bedding under the first 1.5" or so ahead of the recoil lug. Whether or not it's necessary is the subject of many long debates.

IMG_0557.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steel core</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noob question. Is bedding required at all? Do you want a touch of support on the barrel, or just the receiver is enough? </div></div>Nothing NOOB about your question. Nobody knows it all. Thats why questions are asked..HTH Welcome BTW