• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan on stock weights.

Dick D

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2002
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
Gentlemen,
I have been getting deluged the last week or so with e-mails wanting to know how much our sporting and tactical stocks weigh so I thought I might answer the next 100 or so in advance.
As you may know we do not publish exact stock weights but we answer this question in general terms in #25 of the FAQ's on the web-site and in the catalog. I guess not many people read thru these. Basically, our stocks will vary in weight depending on the inlet, the fill requirements and the ordered options. All the stocks start out as solid flat-top blanks and are then inletted for the customers required metal parts. The more of the stock that is cut away, the less the stock weighs.
So, for any given stock, one inletted for a Model 7 single shot, ADL triggerguard and a featherweight barrel contour will weigh more that the same stock inletted for a long 700 repeater, BDL floorplate and a heavy straight taper target barrel contour. This may make the stock weight vary by as much as 1/4 of a lb or so.
Also, the stocks weight will vary depending on the action fill and caliber requirements. So the Super Grade stock filled and inletted for a long Model 70 in .270 caliber will weigh less than the Super Grade filled and inletted for the same long Model 70 in .375 H&H caliber which requires our magnum fill.Again, perhaps 1/4 lb. or so difference here.
On the tactical and competition stocks, again a lot depends on the inlet and fill requirements but also on the options ordered. A basic A3 or A5 filled and inletted for a .260 Rem and with just a recoil pad and two sling studs may finish at about 2.5 lbs to 2.75 lbs. The same stock filled and inletted for a big .338 Laupa magnum or .408 Chey-Tac long range rifle and equiped with a adjustable cheekpiece and a 3-way adjustable buttplate assembly and a fore-end accessory rail and 6 flush cups may finish out at about 4.5 lbs to 5 lbs or more.
So, when you send me the standard question "how much does an A5 cost and what does it weight" please understand why I really can't answer this with much more than a "it all depends on what you order". I'm not being a smart-ass (as I was recently accused), and there are no firm answers for this and both really do depend on a lot of variables.
Thanks, Dick at McMillans

Re: McMillan on stock weights.

Good info Dick, Thanks for taking the time to post it.

For reference, I can tell you this stock weighs 3# 11oz

ADJ HTG/TEX RAD CAMO (OLIVE, MED TAN, DK TAN), SNIPER FILL WITH SOLID GLASS IN BUTT, RH SURGEON 591, SURGEON DBM, 5/8" GUARD SCREW HOLES, KREIGER HEAVY PALMA B/C WITH 1.5" CYLINDER, 1" DEC PAD,13.5" LOP, INTEGRAL C/P, FRONT STUD, 4 FLUSH CUPS (2 ON BOTTOM & 2 ON LEFT SIDE OF STOCK).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dronofrio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey J,

Could you post of pic, or send me a pm with a pic of your stock. I am looking at ordering almost that exact stock for a FN SPR.

Thanks,
Derek</div></div>

Yo buddy, 4 posts since 08, slow down
smile.gif
Good to see you here.

I bought it off the samples page, they weighed it for me and mailed it to my gunsmith. Find any molded in color HTG with ADJ comb and it looks like that. Or tune in in about 4 months and I'll post a pic
smile.gif