• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McMillan (Order) Stock Spec Help...?

Bushpig

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this…

I’m in the process of ordering a custom drop in stock from McMillan (an HTG for a Remington 700) and am having a difficult time nailing down the specs for the barrel contour inlet. When I spoke with one of the girls at McMillan, she asked me what “cylinder length” I wanted on the stock. I have a Rock Creek M24/M40 contour barrel blank that is going to be used on the build. I understand that the straight (cylinder) portion at the chamber end of this particular blank is 4” long. I plan to have a Holland oversized lug put on the rifle and would like the finished barrel dimensions similar to that used on the M40a1 (1.20" X3" +/-, straight tapering to .920-.940 +/- at 24”). Now, my question I guess, is should I specify a 3” cylinder on my stock or should I go shorter at 2” and just have the smith open the barrel channel up to accommodated the finished barrel - if required? Any informed assistance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hsld.

Re: McMillan (Order) Stock Spec Help...?

Just order it 1" shorter than the flat at the breech.

So, given the unfinished M24/M40 blank has a 4" flat (at the breech), I should specify a 3" cylinder? Thanks much for the assistance wnroscoe... I want to make sure I've got it straight so I don't mess up my order.

Cheers,
hsld.

Thats correct. McMillan has started calling gun builders and confirming this as well. Since I never cut any thing off the breech I just deduct 1" for the threads and under the recoil lug.