• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan Return Stock

Lordsandy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2014
Hello.
I was hoping to get some information on the value of the below original USMC McMillan stock numbered 9572 and 11–62 dated MRT sling? Thank you for the help.

IMG_5814.jpeg
IMG_5817.jpeg
IMG_5815.jpeg
IMG_5816.jpeg

The sling is probably faked, but the stock, in todays market, would be $3-5k depending on bidders.

The sling is probably faked, but the stock, in todays market, would be $3-5k depending on bidders.
Thank you, I believe the sling to be real as it’s been in my father’s military collection since the late 70s early 80s.

Reactions: Skunk
Careful posting this, staff around here turn into hormonally unstable women when a price is asked outside of the exchange.

I'd just change up your title a bit :)

he sling is probably faked, but the stock, in todays market, would be $3-5k depending on bidders.
Thank you, I believe the sling to be real as it’s been in my father’s military collection since the late 70s early 80s.

I won't address the stock question which has been answered, but I will address the sling question. It is likely fake. Why? All of the observed 1950s-60s era M1907 slings were imprint stamped with a leather stamping die regarding the date of the MRT treatment. This lasted up until 1969. Beginning in 1970 one first sees the ink stamp used for MRT and its date. Here's a 4-63 USGI sling and you can see that it is imprint stamped,. This is a legit sling and have owned a few... (I might have a slight fetish for leather M1907 slings...my collection ranges in dates from 1917 to 2011 or so, with many in-between).

MRT 4-63 sling stamp.jpg

It took me 4 years to finally purchase a serviceable 1970 dated M1907 sling for my replica XM21 rifle (see below), and this is the first year that the ink MRT stamping shows up on the slings. So 1970 is when the inked MRT stamp first appears, per a change in the US gov't drawing. All M1907 slings observed prior to this new marking are of the die-stamped variety. (I seem to recall from someone with access to gov't drawings, that Rock Island Arsenal maintained the drawing for the USGI M1907 leather slings, and the drawing has been periodically revised over the decades).

MRT_01_70_sling.jpg

As for this 1970 sling - I actually spotted it on gunbroker in 2023, and while the M1A rifle it was attached to didn't sell, I was able to talk the owner out of this sling for $100 shipped. Again, I have observed/hunted down MRT dated USGI slings for many years, and I don't think ink was allowed for the MRT dating back in 1962...Anyhow, forgive the digression over my sling obsession. (Honestly, I'd love to find a legit 1962 dated M1907 leather sling for my replica of a 1962 NM M14, but "4-63" is what I been finding instead over the past decade of observations. These USGI slings always made in batches).

Fwiw, the most commonly seen MRT date is from 86’, and that would be the proper era for that nice M40A1 stock in this thread. (See bottom sling)
(Runner up for "correctness" would be a 1995 or 96' dated sling, which is what I used for my 'late 1990s' replica M40A1 w/ take-off stock. My 2cts.)
1907_slings_1986&2008.JPG

Lastly, here's how the green web slings were stamped back in early 1962, at least for the contractor who made them that year:

M14_improvised_sniper_replica_dissembled_5_v3.jpg

Last edited:
I won't address the stock question which has been answered, but I will address the sling question. It is likely fake. Why? All of the observed 1950s-60s era M1907 slings were imprint stamped with a leather stamping die regarding the date of the MRT treatment. This lasted up until 1969. Beginning in 1970 one first sees the ink stamp used for MRT and its date. Here's a 4-63 USGI sling and you can see that it is imprint stamped,. This is a legit sling and have owned a few... (I might have a slight fetish for leather M1907 slings...my collection ranges in dates from 1917 to 2011 or so, with many in-between).

View attachment 8365272

It took me 4 years to finally purchase a serviceable 1970 dated M1907 sling for my replica XM21 rifle (see below), and this is the first year that the ink MRT stamping shows up on the slings. So 1970 is when the inked MRT stamp first appears, per a change in the US gov't drawing. All M1907 slings observed prior to this new marking are of the die-stamped variety. (I seem to recall from someone with access to gov't drawings, that Rock Island Arsenal maintained the drawing for the USGI M1907 leather slings, and the drawing has been periodically revised over the decades).

View attachment 8365274

As for this 1970 sling - I actually spotted it on gunbroker in 2023, and while the M1A rifle it was attached to didn't sell, I was able to talk the owner out of this sling for $100 shipped. Again, I have observed/hunted down MRT dated USGI slings for many years, and I don't think ink was allowed for the MRT dating back in 1962...Anyhow, forgive the digression over my sling obsession. (Honestly, I'd love to find a legit 1962 dated M1907 leather sling for my replica of a 1962 NM M14, but "4-63" is what I been finding instead over the past decade of observations. These USGI slings always made in batches).

Fwiw, the most commonly seen MRT date is 10-86, and that would be the proper era for that nice M40A1 stock in this thread. (See bottom sling)
(Runner up for "correctness" would be a 1995 or 96' dated sling, which is what I used for my 'late 1990s' replica M40A1 w/ take-off stock. My 2cts.)
View attachment 8365303

Lastly, here's how the green web slings were stamped back in early 1962, at least for the contractor who made them that year:

View attachment 8365309
@Random Guy and I are apparently the same person. 😂

A photo of some more real M1907 slings and their date markings:

3FCCD573-878E-4F7C-9276-CDA0C68EC8DC.jpeg

I’ll post pictures tonight, but my return stock is only 24 digits away (9596). Based off this now I know what the pattern looks like and the temptation to remove paint is reduced.

ETA: better pictures. Also, despite last 4 similarity, it looks like the two return stocks are different runs (based off of bedding material in the forend and the overwritten serial on Lordsandy’s stock. So two stocks received new actions, 1 was a re-used stock and 1 a new stock (pure conjecture, but seems to make sense.)

IMG_1076.jpeg

IMG_1077.jpeg

IMG_1078.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm curious to learn about the history of the barreled action, considering it has been a part of your dad's collection for over four decades now.

I'm curious to learn about the history of the barreled action, considering it has been a part of your dad's collection for over four decades now.
I think the OP said the sling has been in his Dad's collection, though it would be a story if he had the barreled action.

Reactions: lastshot12
For both of the stock in this thread that have the 9xxx serial number in the barrel channel, those would have probably been "E" prefix receivers. It can't be any of the 221xxx, 224xxx, 322xxx, or C6711xxx receivers, because none of those have a "9" in that part of the serial number. E6378905 and E6704936 are known M40A1 serial numbers. The pre-M40A3 "E" prefix receivers definitely varied is serial number ranges, so it's possible for the "9" to line up correctly. Just something to think about.