• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McMillan rifle stocks - company sold??

buckey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pa
Found this on another forum - can anyone confirm??

"Keeping with news worthy events, McMillan Stocks has been sold also. The sale is complete at the end of September.

McMillan Rifles has sold also, with the sale completing sometime after the 1st of 2014."

Could this be why stock orders are taking so long to full-fill??

...but whoever posted the rumor didn't say WHO either division was sold to?

IF true, I just hope it wasn't Cerberus.

No they didn't, that is why I asked if anyone else heard this.

Again, I am just trying to confirm or debunk what I read on another forum - who knows what's happening, if anything at all?? It would be big news if it turns out to be true!!

Where did you see that? I searched and only found you asking on another forum. What I heard was good news for them, but I'm not going to post anything that's not been released. My information might be wrong, and I'd hate to spread any misinformation.

Where did you see that? I searched and only found you asking on another forum. What I heard was good news for them, but I'm not going to post anything that's not been released. My information might be wrong, and I'd hate to spread any misinformation.

Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Here is the thread, read down through & you'll see the statement.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f42/surgon-action-119283/

I not spreading rumors, just taken by surprise with what I read - wish McMillan nothing but the best with whatever is happening!!

Last edited:
Well, I don't know of it as a bad thing, looks like an opportunity to grow. Of course, I don't know anything about McMillan as a company finically either.

IF sold and the new owner maintains quality and up's the delivery / turn around time its a win /win.

They do need to expand their company. Stocks have always had a long wait. Mine took 6 to 8 months even 10 years ago. They do excellent work but I just wish they had more in stock or had shorter lead times.

Six months is too long for a product. It surprises me that so many of these suppliers don't simply EXPAND and take advantage of the current Market.

A totally apples/oranges deal........ but I always laugh at Randall knives....SIX fucking year wait for a new blade. THAT is insane! They can't put in a few more forges and train a few more workers?
Do they think the ludicrous WAIT makes the product more attractive to a buyer as it's scarce?

Then again...I don't run a manufacturing business either.

You din't expend the capital to expand manufacturing capability based on a short term spike, you do it to meet sustained longer-term growth. Drop six/seven figures in staff & equipment to satisfy spike demand and you'd likely sustain huge losses when business normalizes and revenue drops accordingly.

You din't expend the capital to expand manufacturing capability based on a short term spike, you do it to meet sustained longer-term growth. Drop six/seven figures in staff & equipment to satisfy spike demand and you'd likely sustain huge losses when business normalizes and revenue drops accordingly.

This sir is possibly the most intelligent comment I've ever read on Snipers Hide. My hats off to you............

Have you ever thought about becoming a business consultant, I know that I just took your advice and will let it sit and ferment in my little pea brain. If you had posted something similar to that statement 7 years ago I would not be a starving old college student now. Jeff...............

They were, heard about it last month but nobody said it was ok to release it.

I believe it is the same group that bought Surgeon, AWC, et. al.
Did they solve any lingering regulatory issues prior to the sale?

A totally apples/oranges deal........ but I always laugh at Randall knives....SIX fucking year wait for a new blade. THAT is insane! They can't put in a few more forges and train a few more workers?
Do they think the ludicrous WAIT makes the product more attractive to a buyer as it's scarce?

Boilerup summed it up nicely with the business mindset/perspective but the other thing to keep in mind is there is a difference between custom/hand made and mass produced.

I obviously cannot speak for Randall but I have been to the shop at least 3 times in my travels. Google the address and look at where it is located. If you didn't know it was there, you'd drive right by it as an orange orchard is what you see from the street as you drive by adult book stores and sleazy hotels. And if you did happen to turn into the orchard and drive down the dirt road about 300m, you'd wonder if you were in the right spot until you come upon a house and a bunch of cars. It's not until you walk inside do you realize you are in the right place. I don't know if they own the orchards or not but they have been there long enough to have a huge orchard and suburbia build around them. I'm sure they could knock some trees down and build another building but at the end of the day, you can not mass produce their product,especially if you don't have qualified people to do the work that requires specific skills, another item that cannot be mass produced.

Agreed but for many they see this as something that's not been a short term spike when it comes to McM - the wait has always been rather long which would seem to indicate a long-term growth possibility. It's not like pre-Obama you could get a stock in 7-10 days and now it's extended.

Agreed but for many they see this as something that's not been a short term spike when it comes to McM - the wait has always been rather long which would seem to indicate a long-term growth possibility. It's not like pre-Obama you could get a stock in 7-10 days and now it's extended.

Bingo. I have never witnessed a time period in which McMillan stocks were readily available. Makes you wonder what the constraint is, because the demand has been higher than supply forever. I have a hard time believing it's capital.

So does anybody know anything about Strategic Armory Corp? Not to put on my tinfoil, but it makes me nervous when an entire industry starts getting bought up by only a few companies.

They were, heard about it last month but nobody said it was ok to release it.

I believe it is the same group that bought Surgeon, AWC, et. al.
Well McMillan has a long wait time now, hope it doesn't expand to the same lead time as a Surgeon Action. I hate seeing this happen, from what I gather they have been a family owned and run business from the very beginning. Hope the customer doesn't have to suffer the growing pains.

Hopefully this will shorten lead times without quality issues. Hopefully

So does anybody know anything about Strategic Armory Corp? Not to put on my tinfoil, but it makes me nervous when an entire industry starts getting bought up by only a few companies.

I don't know them specifically, but this is typical behavior of private equity investors. They like businesses that have good cash flow and lots of hard assets (becuase it's easy to borrow money for such companies). They then buy a bunch of them, borrow a bunch of money and then sell it off a few years later. The happy reasoning is that they are being more efficient with capital and finding "synergies" that will make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Even the debt will provide management with "discipline". The cynical explanation is that they are just getting as much collateral together as they can, borrowing as much as they can (and keeping it), sucking as much money out of the companies as possible, and discarding the remains. The truth lies somewhere in between. It's no coincidence that Bushmaster went from a well regarded brand to a dog of the industry after they were bought out by Cerberus.

What they need to buy now is a good barrel company.

Doesn't Surgeon use Krieger barrels?

Last edited:
Yes, but has nothing to do with delivery times. They are taking a while because they are busy and have heavy backlogs.
The new changes will be very good for the companies and the customers. You will see some good things happening with all companies in that group.
McMillan Stocks and McMillan rifles will remain true to their origins and quality but will also enjoy more freedom to innovate in my opinion.

Makes you wonder what the constraint is, because the demand has been higher than supply forever. I have a hard time believing it's capital.

I have absolutely no idea what McMillan's issue happens to be, so please don't take this as specific criticism to their situation, but what I've often observed in other manufacturing industries is that you get a few (or even one) key individuals who cannot properly delegate responsibilities, and thus they form a bottleneck which artificially constrains output. This is somewhat common when you have a single owner who started things from scratch, and cannot form the trust with subordinates that is required to relinquish authority over ever aspect of the business.

Finding and retaining good help can also be difficult, for a variety of reasons - geography, pay rate, management style, or an inability to define and teach the necessary skillsets. Once again, I don't know if any of these apply to McMillan's specific circumstances.

In response to the delivery times from McMillan and why don't they expand etc...and some of you had made a nice response as to the problems in doing so etc...they have the same problems that we have....

One is how do you guess what orders your going to get for how many and when etc...we cannot predict what the next phone call is going to be.

Another is look at all the possible options you have for stocks, barrels, actions etc....and this applies to places like Manners, Defiance, BAT Machine etc....

For the stocks, you have the model/type of stock, color options, type of action that is suppose to go into the stock, barrel contour for the inletting as well as what bottom metal is being used, sling swivels or cups, type of butt plate/pad being used and you can add more to the list.

Same applies for actions and same for barrels.

On barrels we have contour, oversize diameters, caliber, number of grooves, twist rate, left hand twist or right hand twist, type of steel etc...... the combinations are almost endless. Then it's asked of us why don't you make inventory? We've done that for a given type of barrel. We put 50 into inventory at a time when we only sold 25pcs. a month in all flavors for that one caliber. Go figure we sold them all in 2 weeks and we didn't advertise we even had them in stock. We cannot predict what someone will want and how do we justify making inventory when we have someone waiting 6 months or longer.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

In response to the delivery times from McMillan and why don't they expand etc...and some of you had made a nice response as to the problems in doing so etc...they have the same problems that we have....

One is how do you guess what orders your going to get for how many and when etc...we cannot predict what the next phone call is going to be.

Another is look at all the possible options you have for stocks, barrels, actions etc....and this applies to places like Manners, Defiance, BAT Machine etc....

For the stocks, you have the model/type of stock, color options, type of action that is suppose to go into the stock, barrel contour for the inletting as well as what bottom metal is being used, sling swivels or cups, type of butt plate/pad being used and you can add more to the list.

Same applies for actions and same for barrels.

On barrels we have contour, oversize diameters, caliber, number of grooves, twist rate, left hand twist or right hand twist, type of steel etc...... the combinations are almost endless. Then it's asked of us why don't you make inventory? We've done that for a given type of barrel. We put 50 into inventory at a time when we only sold 25pcs. a month in all flavors for that one caliber. Go figure we sold them all in 2 weeks and we didn't advertise we even had them in stock. We cannot predict what someone will want and how do we justify making inventory when we have someone waiting 6 months or longer.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

That makes good sense. The question I have is why does it take 6 months even with an order in hand? Is it because of the uncertainty in overall demand preventing you from wanting to invest the capital to increase capacity? A lack of availability of good personnel? Raw material supply? Something else entirely? It seems to be a common state throughout the industry, so I assume there is a good reason. And these demand spikes driven by politicians can't help.

Six months is too long for a product. It surprises me that so many of these suppliers don't simply EXPAND and take advantage of the current Market.

Then again...I don't run a manufacturing business either.

"Tooling up" and "training more workers" isn't as easy as it sounds. Specialty equipment is extremely expensive, has a long lead time, and often arrives just in time for the market down-turn. Training workers is one thing but creating more "Craftsmen" is another. You can only do that with the right people.

Increasing production in companies known for their quality often ends up in a reduction of that quality. Sometimes patience is worth every penny.

That makes good sense. The question I have is why does it take 6 months even with an order in hand? Is it because of the uncertainty in overall demand preventing you from wanting to invest the capital to increase capacity? A lack of availability of good personnel? Raw material supply? Something else entirely? It seems to be a common state throughout the industry, so I assume there is a good reason. And these demand spikes driven by politicians can't help.

The demand in the spike with all the gun stuff hasn't effected us a ton but it has effected us some what. With that being said we're just flat out busy due to the demand for the product.

Personnel/training is one. You don't just hire someone for what we do and expect them to turn stuff out the next day.

Raw material supply can factor in. Average lead times on steel is around 4-5 months. We try and stay ahead with demand in case of unforeseen needs by our customers etc...

Can we build more riflers and add more machines. The answer is yes. To get a rifler on line from scratch we're looking at about 4-6 months. Can we buy another lathe for turning? Sure! Figure in a lead time to order the machine (lets just say it's 4 weeks). When it gets here you have to have a spot ready for it, get an electrician here to wire it up for power, get tooling....., get the steady rest set up properly etc...your looking around 8 weeks before it's online. Now you still have to have someone hired etc...to run it and your back to training etc...sometimes this stuff is easier said then done. One change in the can lead to other bottle necks you have to take care of as well. So you can turn more barrels but do you have enough machine time in the rifling department to handle the extra turned barrels that are going to be coming thru? If not you have another problem to deal with.

I'm back to the biggest factor you have to consider....demand and orders coming in that we cannot predict.......not to long ago I talked to a customer who had questions and wanted to order one barrel. No big deal. Went over everything with him (this was like on a Tuesday) he still had some decisions to make but he asked my a lead time. I told him 4-6 moths at the time. So he hangs up the phone. In the next two days Brian and I took enough orders for 6-8 weeks worth of work. The guy calls back on Friday and says he's ready to order. I said hold the phone a minute just so you know our lead times are no shorter than 6 months and could be around 8 months or longer. The guy blew a gasket on my on the phone. Again we took enough orders in two days for almost 2 months worth of work.

A manufacturer is also very cautious about adding equipment (capital expenditures) hiring people unless they know the work is going to be consistent/be there to support the additional people and machines they are going to put on line. A spike in business doesn't always mean you jump on and order machines and hire workers right away.

You have the whole trickle down effect going on also. We have steel here, we have steel on order/scheduled etc...we cannot just cut our lead times to say 8 weeks with out having a problem like effecting our steel deliveries. I cannot always call the steel mill up and say hey can bump up the orders and I need the next batch in 8 weeks. It doesn't always work that easy.

Also when you place an order there are already X amount of orders in house. It's basically first come/first served.

Places like GAP, AI, our Gov't etc...sometimes before even the end of the year they are giving us a schedule for deliveries for the whole next year. Also factor in the customer who wants one here or there and new customers that we get. Again we just don't know what the next phone call is going to be.

We don't have that crystal ball. If I did I could work at any company in the world and name/dictate what I want for a wage!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Bingo. I have never witnessed a time period in which McMillan stocks were readily available. Makes you wonder what the constraint is, because the demand has been higher than supply forever. I have a hard time believing it's capital.

I ordered my A5 in 2006 while I was in Iraq over the Iridium sat phone. Next call was to Kreiger. Stock and Barrel both showed up within a week of each other 6 months later.

The demand in the spike with all the gun stuff hasn't effected us a ton but it has effected us some what. With that being said we're just flat out busy due to the demand for the product.

Personnel/training is one. You don't just hire someone for what we do and expect them to turn stuff out the next day.

Raw material supply can factor in. Average lead times on steel is around 4-5 months. We try and stay ahead with demand in case of unforeseen needs by our customers etc...

Can we build more riflers and add more machines. The answer is yes. To get a rifler on line from scratch we're looking at about 4-6 months. Can we buy another lathe for turning? Sure! Figure in a lead time to order the machine (lets just say it's 4 weeks). When it gets here you have to have a spot ready for it, get an electrician here to wire it up for power, get tooling....., get the steady rest set up properly etc...your looking around 8 weeks before it's online. Now you still have to have someone hired etc...to run it and your back to training etc...sometimes this stuff is easier said then done. One change in the can lead to other bottle necks you have to take care of as well. So you can turn more barrels but do you have enough machine time in the rifling department to handle the extra turned barrels that are going to be coming thru? If not you have another problem to deal with.

I'm back to the biggest factor you have to consider....demand and orders coming in that we cannot predict.......not to long ago I talked to a customer who had questions and wanted to order one barrel. No big deal. Went over everything with him (this was like on a Tuesday) he still had some decisions to make but he asked my a lead time. I told him 4-6 moths at the time. So he hangs up the phone. In the next two days Brian and I took enough orders for 6-8 weeks worth of work. The guy calls back on Friday and says he's ready to order. I said hold the phone a minute just so you know our lead times are no shorter than 6 months and could be around 8 months or longer. The guy blew a gasket on my on the phone. Again we took enough orders in two days for almost 2 months worth of work.

A manufacturer is also very cautious about adding equipment (capital expenditures) hiring people unless they know the work is going to be consistent/be there to support the additional people and machines they are going to put on line. A spike in business doesn't always mean you jump on and order machines and hire workers right away.

You have the whole trickle down effect going on also. We have steel here, we have steel on order/scheduled etc...we cannot just cut our lead times to say 8 weeks with out having a problem like effecting our steel deliveries. I cannot always call the steel mill up and say hey can bump up the orders and I need the next batch in 8 weeks. It doesn't always work that easy.

Also when you place an order there are already X amount of orders in house. It's basically first come/first served.

Places like GAP, AI, our Gov't etc...sometimes before even the end of the year they are giving us a schedule for deliveries for the whole next year. Also factor in the customer who wants one here or there and new customers that we get. Again we just don't know what the next phone call is going to be.

We don't have that crystal ball. If I did I could work at any company in the world and name/dictate what I want for a wage!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank,
Thank you for posting that, you hit the nail right on the head. People think you can just hire more people like Walmart does, but in this business it just doesn't work like that. Our problem is we are out in the middle of nowhere so the talent pool is not very good.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

Frank,
Thank you for posting that, you hit the nail right on the head. People think you can just hire more people like Walmart does, but in this business it just doesn't work like that. Our problem is we are out in the middle of nowhere so the talent pool is not very good.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

Welcome Paul!

How have you guys been doing? Haven't talked in a while! Hope all is well by ya!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank, if you find that crystal ball let me know.
Frank and Paul, I think the customers who think it through or have a little experience of their own understand why they can't have a barrel, stock or whatever the next day. No matter what business you are in there are a few that want and expect the impossible.
And as you are the 2 barrels I have been most happy with thanks for going with quality over quantity.
And if they absolutely have to have something right away there are ways to do it if look around.
Thanks again.

Frank, if you find that crystal ball let me know.
Frank and Paul, I think the customers who think it through or have a little experience of their own understand why they can't have a barrel, stock or whatever the next day. No matter what business you are in there are a few that want and expect the impossible.
And as you are the 2 barrels I have been most happy with thanks for going with quality over quantity.
And if they absolutely have to have something right away there are ways to do it if look around.
Thanks again.

Thanks Deej!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Sounds like they need a barrel company and then Strategic Armory Corp will own all the companies to produce pretty darn nice, complete rifles.

Good action
Good Stock
Good Suppressors

Just need a barrel.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I just received my barrel from Benchmark (literally just down the road from me) and that's exactly what's happening there. Especially the part about internal bottlenecks. Like many other barrel makers they ship a lot of barrels to gunsmiths to chamber and install. Others, like myself, drop off actions to be completely trued and fitted with a new barrel. One day you don't have enough rifling machines and lathes sit idle. The next you have plenty of barrels but are waiting on lathe time. I had to wait over a month just for a slot at the lathe, the barrel being ready for over a month. I placed the order this Spring.

I would rather sit and wait patiently for a product produced with no compromises in quality just to speed up the process.

One tip for those who are mulling over a new barrel decision. Don't procrastinate. While you're thinking it over, as Frank said there will be dozens of others step in and place their orders.

Ok 4 to 6 months to get anything is just not exceptable. Oh yes i have waited long lead times for barrels, stocks, actions and there is no reason!!!!!! I have worked my entire life in manufacturing and understand fully what it takes to expand. As stated above it is more than one phone call it is a bunch of work. I have never ordered a barrel blank or stock that was less than 12 week wait. So safe to say there is 3 months of work on the books at anytime and more when busy. Now no one wants less quality or less options they want the same great products that this industry makes and they want it there way. And from the bus side you dont want to have to lay off workers or have capital investment not running at full capicity. But there sure ass hell is some room between 3 month wait and instock. Expand some dont just sit back and say that is the time frame. Because there will be people that expand and figure out a way to reduce lead time and still offer the quality everyone expects.

........... Expand some dont just sit back and say that is the time frame. Because there will be people that expand and figure out a way to reduce lead time and still offer the quality everyone expects.

I think McMillan and their lead times are the best thing that ever could have happened to Manners Stocks.

I know I wanted a McMillan for a build last year and my timeline didn't allow for a 9month wait (my buddy had one going at the same time and did in fact wait 9 months for a McMillan) so I went with a Manners in stock at Stockys. I eventually found a McMillan on GB that I picked up just to have for the next build, but I never would have considered Manners if McMillan had been available.

Manners has stepped up/stepped in and become a go-to product on rifle projects because they can manage to make their products available, and it appears a number of shooters now appreciate the quality of the Manners who never would have owned one had McMillan been able to service the demand.

I think everyone in the gun industry equates long waits and high prices to a more accurate rifle/better handgun/etc. and in some cases it's correct. I hear guys brag about waiting 2 years for a Les Baer that they can't shoot to save their life. Companies and gunsmiths have to create a delicate balance because we shooters are a fickle bunch. If GAP said they hired more people and now have a 1 month turnaround for complete rifles, there would be plenty of guys accusing them of cutting corners and rushing a precision job for monetary purposes. It's like seeing a product that looks good but has a low price. We tend to just assume it's junk because it's not pricey without any real-world experience.

Manners did away with in house camo paint. Why? Bottle neck in production. Now offered in solid colors or molded camo. Same great product you just have to find someone to paint it your fav camo color. No big deal we have all seen the great work the painters on here do and i am sure the lead time isnt months. My last stock came from stockies also. Was it just like i wanted ? No . But i learned how to install my own flush cups and how to paint a rifle stock. All that info came from this web site. And is it just what i wanted now? Yes it is. No one wants the custom company to turn into a mass production cheap supplier. Another great example is look at Chad from longrifles turn around on an action truing and rebarrel job. I am not sure of his lead time currently but i know his goal before was days not months. I dont own one of his rifles but i have shot them and talked with people that have had him do work for them top notch. I am sure there are many others also i am just not aware of them. But for everone that is going at work like that there is the gunsmith in the back of a dark shop that has no desire to decrease his 12 month lead time. Nothing at all wrong with that if you dont mind waiting but when people can offer the same product or better for the same money and less wait.

Going back to the company this thread is about, has anyone noticed that there are lots of McMillan stocks in stock at various distributors? Seems like they get priority for production rather than the "custom orders" of one here and one there.

As a retired businessman, I'd show priority to any customer that orders my product in truckload quantities rather than those who want essentially the same product with a different widget or paint scheme.

I bought my last stock from "Stocky's" and had it 7 days later. Took me half a day to add the "widget" that would have delayed my order for several months had I ordered it from the manufacturer.

Just a FYI, McMillan stock division is not being sold. However the rifle division is a done deal.

Going back to the company this thread is about, has anyone noticed that there are lots of McMillan stocks in stock at various distributors? Seems like they get priority for production rather than the "custom orders" of one here and one there.

I believe this is not true. Those various distributors are ordering multiple stock orders on a regular basis. What you are seeing "in stock" was ordered 6-8 months or more prior to them showing as available. I place orders every week. Some are for 1 stock and some are for 20 of the same thing. I know for sure that individuals that order other single stock orders during the same time frame receive their stocks about the same time my orders show up.

If you are having a forend rail, NV or 3-way butt installed for example, that would probably push it into another finishing dept. before shipping. Something like that might slow it down a couple of weeks but for the most part, they are all first in / first out.