• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

McMillan SSG69 stock - cheekpiece bolts coming loose

fluffybunny

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2009
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi Guys,

I have a Steyr SSG69 in a McMillan stock.

Every few rounds, the two thumbwheels / thumbscrews come loose.

It seems to be a common problem which is not good considering the stock is marketed as a premium one !!

I have seen the fixes such as putting in spacers, squaring off the point of the screw where it meets the interior of the stock, using locktite etc but has anybody found one that actually works ?

The newer stocks seem to have addressed the issue by means of the different hardware in the form of a clamp bar ? Can this be retrofitted in my stock ?

I know it has one screw instead of two but I do not mind having two obsolete holes in the stock as long as the cheekpiece stays where I want it !!

Any help appreciated.

One option may be to use spacers under the cheekpiece, this is a popular option for the AI cheekrest. By supporting the cheekpiece with spacers, it physically can't go any lower, and it will take some load off of the screws, which should help to keep them tight. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, some plastic washers should do the trick.

Another option is to replace the thumbscrews with setscrews or socket head cap screws, and use an allen wrench to tighten them. The added torque versus what you can get with the thumbscrews may be enough to keep them snugged up.

-matt

These are the AI spacers I was referring to, you should be able to come up with something similar for your McMillan.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pment/63101-accu-stack-aics-cheek-risers.html

ACCUSTACK.jpg

-matt