• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan Stock Arrived!! :)

Yowie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2014
My new McMillan stock has finally rocked up and because I bought it from their inventory (because I'm impatient and wanted it now) and I've found out that it was designed to suit a 1.250" barrel and I have a .650" barrel.

Can the stock be packed up or should I buy a barrel to suit?

Wrap a couple of layers of tape around the barrel to allow for a slight free float once removed, fill the barrel channel with Devcon and rock on.

Well there should be no doubt of a free float with that one. How did you end up with such a deep barrel channel? Was it intentional?

What barrel contour is it cut for. it wouldn't be a 1.250 straight taper. It should say on the specs what the barrel channel/contour is on the stock

Hey mate, I says it's for a kreiger HV B/C barrel but I measures both ends and it's 1.250" all the way from where the receiver lug goes into the stock.

Well there should be no doubt of a free float with that one. How did you end up with such a deep barrel channel? Was it intentional?

With the limited information McMillan provided and the waiting time of 7 days to get a reply via email as I'm in Australia. I spoke to a sniper bloke who has one and a gun shop and he said it'll be no dramas but we didn't realise that it was 1.250" all the way.

I'd return it and wait the six months and get what you want.

Not really an option as it costs $100 to ship it each way. By the time I got another barrel that would be $300 in shipping alone. A new barrel fully fitted is $550 at the local gunsmith

Understand the circumstances. It's too bad as my McMillan fits like a glove. How does it look and fit? Might still be fine function wise.

Understand the circumstances. It's too bad as my McMillan fits like a glove. How does it look and fit? Might still be fine function wise.

Yours was probably made to suit your rifle, mine was one from their inventory that I guess someone didn't end up paying for. Feels great and looks good but has a few marks on it which I thought shouldn't be there being brand new.

I'm mounting it up today to see how it looks and feels. I'll post pictures

If the look really bothers you, bed it as suggested. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone until you have the need to rebarrel the gun, and then bed it. Shouldn't hurt a thing to have that much free float.

I've decided stuff it and going a 28" bull barrel to suit. They reckon 3.5-4kg so should be fine, buying a bigger safe to fit it in.
Eventually it will look something like this.

image.jpg

Last edited: