• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan stock for 1903?

S12A

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Australia
Has anyone here ever seen or even better built a rifle using a Mcmillan stock with a 1903 or 1903A3 action?

I've seen a few bare actions around lately, was thinking one with a heavy barrel, like a douglas #6 , aperture sights and a period scope in a HTG would be awesome...

Any ideas?

If anyone would/has done it it would be Chad at LRI. He does a lot of blank inlets into McMillan stocks.

First call would be to McMillan to see if you can get the HTG as a flat top (no inlet), 2nd call would be to Chad at LRI to talk to him about doing an inlet.
What say you, Chad? @LongRifles Inc.
I think it would be a pretty cool build.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
Call me old-fashioned, but I think all M1903s belong in a walnut wooden stock of some sort. If I really wanted a custom-made heavy barrel M1903 with aperture sights, this vintage match rifle from a century ago would be my inspiration for a replica match rifle....just my 2cts.

Heavy barrel vintage M1903.jpg

That’s a beautiful rifle^ and I do agree with you but… I also like my idea .

The complication to this I should have mentioned is that I’m in Australia. No real issue getting a McMillan but posed challenges Re I letting as a lot of our gunsmiths are unwilling to take on anything other than basic work.

Part of the reason why I want to scope it, is for practicality. I have a lot of rifles with sights , aperture or otherwise.

There is also this rifle, which I don’t know a lot about . Could use a clean up. And I imagine I’d be doing wrong by fitting a scope to it . Though it’s been for sale for months!
RF Sedgley sporter. Barrel is supposedly decent .
71D1F0A2-2AC2-4822-9A0E-D9B5D6A70B18.jpeg

B64C1FF7-BFBD-439E-907C-4338AD13087A.jpeg

Call me old-fashioned, but I think all M1903s belong in a walnut wooden stock of some sort. If I really wanted a custom-made heavy barrel M1903 with aperture sights, this vintage match rifle from a century ago would be my inspiration for a replica match rifle....just my 2cts.

View attachment 7951910

Why do you do this too me…… I happen too have a complete late NS RIA receiver with NS bolt and all of the bottom metal. I just put down my Crossman book, for build details and idea’s.

When I get the current project completed, this might just happen but Im going too stick with the 28in tube.

Anyone have a Lyman 48C they want too cut loose with?