• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcmillan stock question

Family Guy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
ohio
Hi everyone this is my first post on this site and i hope that i posted in the correct forum. Im planning to buy an mcmillan a4 stock for my rem 700 sps tactical aac sd. I had decided on one of the camouflage finishes (most likely the urban camo) untill i read about the camo finishes having less grip or texture on the grip and handgaurd than the paint finishes and that the camo finish is more slippery. This will be my first stock from mcmillan and im wondering how true it is and if i should let it influence my decesiion. Also maybe some input/preferences on the a5 vs the a4. thanks for any info you guys are the best!!

Re: Mcmillan stock question

I got a mcmillan HTG stock with the molded in camo and it has checkering on the forend and pistol grip area and it seem good to me as far as gripping ability.

Thanks alot for the info. I hope i can get the funds together for it within the next week or two im excited.

Go with the molded in camo. I have an A5 and I don't think its slippery. I also like the A3.

I got a A4 about 2 months ago and it came with the single thumb screw on the saddle cheekpiece.
IMGP2402.jpg

Go with the molded in camo. A3, A4, A5 are all good. But stocks are like shoes, one size/style does not fit all. Is there a range local to you you could go to and fondle some? If they host any type of competition, most of the shooters there would be glad to spend time explaining their equipment decision to you and letting you check the ergonomics, etc.

I just bought my first Mcmillan last week and i can assure you that everything you read about them is true. Mine is molded in the gap camo, and is very high quality. I've never handled one that was painted, so I can't offer you a comparison. However, mine doesn't feel slick or slippery to me at all. Buy with confidence, there is a reason why they are so highly regarded.

I've been going back and forth on the mcmillan a3-5 and a5 for some time and just last week made it out to a match and to finger bang both and then some. I had the opportunity to feel those stocks with the molded camo/custom % mold finish and just single color finishes, didn't feel any difference in grip/texture from one finish to the next (believe me I was going over them with my finest tooth comb as I am in the process of having custom 260 Surgeon built and want it to be perfect). I personally am going with the A5 in GAP camo, it fit me the best, but could've went with any model of the mcmillan between the a4, a5, a3-5 and been happy. Really had to nit pick to make a decision. Hope this helps and good luck!

I just used a molded in camo (because I could get it quick) in A3-5 adj. It was a slick stock, and you could really see factory blemishes. I'll probably go with a painted one in the future.

For the small texturing I used krylon webbing, that helped, and then the other large texturing is my own recipe.

As for the A3-5adj...I really like it. But the A3 is really good as well.

Check it out: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3232189#Post3232189

Regards,
Curtis

Great choice on the A5 with GAP camo. You will love it.
cool.gif

Regards, Paul.