• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcmillan stocks rock!

Keith Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Just wanted to post some pics, and say thanks to Mcmillan for always having top rate customer service, a great product, and being so helpful with questions.

We're lucky enough to live and work only 45 minutes from both of their facilities. Anytime we have questions or need advice they're there.

We (Phoenix Custom Rifles) are going to start keeping Mcmillan A5, A4, and HTG semi-inlets in stock. We can finish inlet them in house for any 1.350" round bottom action, long or short. Barrel channels will come cut for a Rem Varmint contour barrel, and we can then easily open them up to whatever you want.

Stocks are the longest wait. We pay a little extra for barrels so we can get them without wait. If we were only able to keep stocks handy, we could have full builds done in about 2 months from the time it was ordered.

All stocks inlet'd by us would get Ceakoted once done. We offer digital camo, and standard/classic camo.

Here's an example or three.....

Very nice work PCR, and yes; living close to McMillan has its advantages;)

Just a comment/observation on the sample: is there a benefit to doubling up on scope rings, considering that giant brake? Or is that (rings x2) a component of durability?

Naw it probably didn't need 4 rings but they fit so I added them.

And actually that gun weighed 40lbs, had mercury recoil reducers in it(2, one pound reducers), and probably one of the most effective 50 brakes. I tried others I wont name. The Armalite was so noticeably better at reducing recoil there was no question which to use. Even if the other ones were slimmer and lighter.

It kicked like a 243. My 100 pound girlfriend shot it and hit bullseye first shot. She'd never fired ANY rifle before that. First gun she ever shot was that 50. I filmed it and it didn't push her back at all.
But it did slap your ears pretty good. And threw dirt on everything. And knocked stuff over. But hardly any kick.

It shot better than I hoped it would. It was probably a one ragged hole gun. I couldnt shoot it perfectly. Even with all that weight, you still had to do your part.

Last edited:
On the stock subject... We're going to order about 6 semi-inlet stocks Monday. Its not much, but every time we order some we'll order more, and more. The dream of having a wall full of mcmillan semi inlets and 2 month wait times is still a year or so away. But we're going to work our way there.
If we can manage to get 30 or so stocks in, and ordered new ones monthly to replace ones that get sold, we could probably always have a stock in house that would suit your needs.

Some we will order with adjustable cheek pieces already installed. And adjustable LOP too on some. We'll mix it up.

When we can one day keep enough Defiance actions, Barrels, and Mcmillan stocks in house to never be waiting on parts, I will be a happy man.

Any stock coming from us will be painted by us. We'll use Cerakote, like in the pictures above.
The pics above are of my first few digital jobs. They will only get better as we do more and more.
We will do any color scheme you want. As long as Cerakote makes it we will order it for you. We can do one solid color, and up to 6 or 7 colors with digital.

"Classic" camo patterns will usually be 3 colors.

Thanks again

Last edited:
How well does the Cerakote hold up on stocks? Is it significantly tougher than other types of paint jobs? I know it does pretty well when baked onto metal parts, I just don't recall reading any reports of how it stands up to regular use when painted onto a fiberglass stock.

It is at tough as the material you put it on. I think it is the best coating Ive seen.

A woman named Regina that shoots here in AZ competetivy(and kicks ass btw) has a custom painted manners stock.... Many of you who shoot in "tactical" matches here in the SW have seen her. She has flowers cerakoted on her stock. It has held up great. Best Ive seen.

We've thought about trying Polane T. But cerakote is working very well for us and others, so we'll stick with it. Its all about prepping the stock correctly before that first coat goes on. Then cleaning it off correctly between coats.

Here's an example of our work with an A5 McMillan flat top inlet.

7 Rem. Mag, M24 9tw, 26" w/ Badger Thruster brake.

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of digital camo but your's have a very nice shadow effect that makes it look real natural. At first it looked like there was a tree in the shop casting shadows on the bench. Great work.. hopefully the manners will come in this month and you guys can finish up my rifle you have out there.

I just did another digital job with only two colors, Sniper grey and Light Grey. It looks great and I think sinple is better. More than 4 colors is too many. 2 or 3 colors is probably perfect. Ill post it and other pics soon.

Thanks guys!

Never been a big fan of digital camo - but that sniper grey/light grey combo looks pretty good. First one that I might actually want to do - someday when I get a new stock :)

What a clean sophisticated look. Is the barrel Sniper gray?

The barreled action and bolt are done in "H" series bake on Snipers Grey Cerakote, and the Manners T4 stock is "C" series Snipers Grey and the lighter color is a mix of 1/2 Snipers Grey and 1/2 Hidden White.

Nice job with the Sniper Grey rifle. One of my personal favorites. Nice to see someone take pride in their workbench. Very nice.

Regards, Paul

Just a reminder, we will have some flat top A5s and HTGs coming in soon. Some with adjustable cheek and LOP.

We can turn flat tops out in about two weeks for a little more than the cost of a new Mcmillan stock you'd wait 4-6 months for.

Our build wait times are 1-2 months right now if all the parts are in. He have barrels, triggers, scope rails, brakes, and will have stocks. Just supply an action.

I see our wait time increasing to 2-3 months this winter because we typically pick up in the winter. We have gotten a new lathe going and we work very efficiently in our shop. One rifle at a time. Very high attention to detail is our goal. We offer a half MOA accuracy guarantee, but many of our tactical match rifles shoot in the 1/4moa range with hand loads.

We're getting multiple reamers in every chambering, so we dont have to use throaters very often. We can use the right reamer for your desired throat length. We're also stocking carbide reamers which in my opinion are better in several ways.

Thanks for all your support!

-Keith Johns, Phoenix Custom Rifles

We have some flat tops in stock. Along with some already inlet'd.

Also, since Mcmillan is removing that middle Fiberglass bridge from their stocks(right behind the mag well, infront of the triggers, we now install our own "bridge" or cross-bolt, made out of Carbon fiber Rod that is extremely strong. We have 1/4", 5/16" 3/8" and 1/2" Carbon Fiber rod for making the cross-bolts or "Bridges".

The stocks dont NEED the bridge, but we sure as hell think theyre better off WITH them.

I'll post pics soon of a stock or two with the mod done.

Here are some stocks we have in now....

Thanks!

Hey Keith, you ever work with the badger m2013 action? Really interested in starting a new build in a Mcmillan A5 here in a couple of months

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Damn, i wish i had known this before i ordered mine 2 months ago, would've saved me a loooong wait.

Hey Keith, you ever work with the badger m2013 action? Really interested in starting a new build in a Mcmillan A5 here in a couple of months

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

We do. We actually have an A5 inlet for the badger magnum la m2008/2013 in our inventory. It's in the above picture 25% dark grey, 25% white, 25% grape, 25% burgundy marble, M5 bottom, M24 barrel contour, clamp bar cheek, spacer sys. for lop, front stud, flush cups.