• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

McMillan TAC-308 VS FN SPR A5M .308

WusteHase

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2009
Yuma, Az
Ok I've got a chance at picking up either of these, and I need help deciding which will be the better deal overall.

FN SPR-
20" Fluted Barrel
5 Rd mag fed
McMillan A-5 Stock
Winchester 70 action
Timney trigger
comes with:
Harris Bipod
Leupold Mk4 ER/T (FFP mil dot, .1 Mil Turrets)) 6.5-20*50
Cost: $3700 all said and done

McMillan TAC-308:
20" Medium-Heavy barrel (threaded)
G-30 McMillan short action
McMillan A-5 stock
Remington 3lb trigger
5rd mag fed
Comes with:
NightForce 3.5-15*50 (FFP mil-dot, .25MOA turrets)
Cost: $6600

Cost vs shootability vs shooter vs durability vs etc.

What are your thoughts on which rifle to go with and why?

Re: McMillan TAC-308 VS FN SPR A5M .308

"Leupold Mk4 ER/T (FFP mil dot, .1 Mil Turrets)) 6.5-20*50"

someone tricked the fuck out of that scope it can barely be classified as a Lupy.

Id say get number 1 and spend the rest on amo

either way your in a win win

The FN does not have a 5 rd mag, unless it also has a CDI bottom metal.

The FN is not a particularly good deal unless brand new--then it is OK. the rifle used is worth, at most $1200-1300 ($1300-1400 with trigger and bipod). Would you pay $2500 for that scope?

The NF is worth around $2000--I have no idea if the McM is worth $4600. I know it would not be to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The FN does not have a 5 rd mag, unless it also has a CDI bottom metal. </div></div>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">See here: Link
Emphasis on <span style="font-weight: bold">5rd DBM</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The FN is not a particularly good deal unless brand new--then it is OK. the rifle used is worth, at most $1200-1300 ($1300-1400 with trigger and bipod). Would you pay $2500 for that scope? </div></div>

Both rifles would be purchased brand new. Brand new SPR goes for ~$2100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The NF is worth around $2000--I have no idea if the McM is worth $4600. I know it would not be to me.
</div></div>

NF Scope- $1740:
Link

McM from McM website is $4799:
Link

Both sticks sound pretty nice, so I would go with how much you want to drop on it, big price difference

The FFP Nightforce (as you listed above)is NOT a $1740 scope. The $1740 is a SFP.

There is not a single factory FN SPR ever made that has a 5 rd magazine capacity--it is, at best, a 4 round mag plus one in chamber.

I appreciate the links, but they do not change my analysis set forth above.

Neither of those rifles is a very good deal--the FN being less so.

My mistake on the scope, here's the right one: Link So yes, $2290 is closer to your $2k estimate.
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">
And the factory SPR with the 20" barrel has a 5rd DBM. That link I gave you came directly from the FNH website. FN Website, FN SPR A5M part number 75530 </span>

ETA: FN's website is indeed incorrect. Thank you Scout for correcting me.

FN's website is WRONG

As evidenced by my join date, and my post count, I'm fairly new here. I'm talking with scout via PM, and learning.

As I told him, I don't know him from Adam, so I was a bit reluctant to take his statements as fact when they contradict the actual manufacturers website.

Hope the rest of you can understand the logic there, and move back to the topic at hand. Thanks for looking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FN's website is WRONG

</div></div>

I called them like you suggested. They're fixing their website. Thanks.

Save money. Get a FN action from CDNN and have GA Precision
build it. Better resale value and you know exactly what you
get for the money. I have worked on a few of em. 19Scout
has a few that I've painted the stocks on. I love the action.
Just drop the factory bottom metal and go with CDI so you can use the AICS mags and build it right from the start. Spend the extra on ammo. If I could find a first generation action, I'd go
with that. They are very hard to find. 2nd gen in the McMillan
stock has a better stock and actually a trigger that is easier
to tune but the barrel doesn't touch the first gens. Not even close. Accurate...yes...but not the same barrel. They have had
a few chrome lining issues with the 2nd gens which they will
make right, but why go there.

WusteHase,

We use Schneider 416R stainless steel polygon barrels on all of our .30 caliber tactical rifles. If you have any questions regarding any of our McMillan rifles, feel free to contact me directly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The FN does not have a 5 rd mag, unless it also has a CDI bottom metal.

The FN is not a particularly good deal unless brand new--then it is OK. the rifle used is worth, at most $1200-1300 ($1300-1400 with trigger and bipod). Would you pay $2500 for that scope?

</div></div>

I was looking for an FN A5 back when I bought my Savage, but it seemed they were all over 2k. Where are some places to look for deals on those?

Right here on the forums apparently. He linked a pretty nice one further down in the thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MacG30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WusteHase,

We use Schneider 416R stainless steel polygon barrels on all of our .30 caliber tactical rifles. If you have any questions regarding any of our McMillan rifles, feel free to contact me directly. </div></div>

PM'd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WusteHase</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right here on the forums apparently. He linked a pretty nice one further down in the thread. </div></div>

It wasn't one of the more expensive and hard to find A5 models though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save money. Get a FN action from CDNN and have GA Precision
build it. </div></div>
If I wanted an FN this is exactly what I would do.