• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillian A5 Options

alexzeph142

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
A5
700SA
Badger M5
Desert Camo
<span style="font-style: italic">Sniper Fill Unsure</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">Barrel Inlet still unsure</span>
Flushcup Front - L/R Back - L/Bottom
Terry Cross Loggerhead Cheek Piece
<span style="font-style: italic">3-way Adjustable Plate + Pad Unsure</span>
LOP 13.5
Machined Aluminum Pillars

What other options are there and what other things could be done?

Re: McMillian A5 Options

The three-way adjustable butt pad is more trouble than its worth, unless you're doing a lot of positional shooting and want to adjust how the rifle fits to your shoulder for every position. Really, the standard adjustable length-of-pull spacer system is tough to beat.

Also, if you're looking to build something a bit lighter, look into a McMillan EDGE stock. A bit lighter weight for an overall lighter rifle, or lets you go with a longer/heavier contour barrel for the same weight. The only downsides are not having an adjustable cheek piece option and they can't do molded-in camo.

Looks like you have it all figured out. I just placed an order for one too. Seems like you always have to wait the longest for the things you want the most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis Phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon DBM ain't too shabby either.
1 stud up front for bipod. </div></div>

Going to use an Atlas so I'm having a picatinny rail installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PhrogDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The three-way adjustable butt pad is more trouble than its worth, unless you're doing a lot of positional shooting and want to adjust how the rifle fits to your shoulder for every position. Really, the standard adjustable length-of-pull spacer system is tough to beat.

Also, if you're looking to build something a bit lighter, look into a McMillan EDGE stock. A bit lighter weight for an overall lighter rifle, or lets you go with a longer/heavier contour barrel for the same weight. The only downsides are not having an adjustable cheek piece option and they can't do molded-in camo. </div></div>

What about the Decelerator pad, the limb saver pad, the LOP adjustment spacers?

Do not do sniper fill unless you've felt one, they get heavy fast.

JWPrecision will save you a lot of time and hassle, just get one of his stocks ready to roll.

Are aluminum pillars needed if I am going to bed with devcon or marinetex? What about the Decelerator pad, the limb saver pad, the LOP adjustment spacers? When would they be handy or need to be adjusted?

I agree with jasonk. I would go with the lightest fill possible. My rifle ended up super heavy.

I wish McMillan would change the name from "sniper fill" to heavier fill. It has never matered to me the name if the fill. I would want it as light as possible.

I think newbs see the word sniper and think they have to have it. On a boomer sure but I would think on a SA it isn't needed.

What are you planning on useing this stock for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you planning on useing this stock for?
</div></div>

Competitions that involve running and alternate positions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with jasonk. I would go with the lightest fill possible. My rifle ended up super heavy.</div></div>

+1 with the fill, at least go with standard fill......

I've had one stock with a 3 way adjustment. Got some good info for myself with it, but wouldn't get one again.

Bailing on the 3-way stock, what do you suggest the decelerator/limb saver pad? Also planning on going with standard fill.