• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillian Rem 700 A4 stock vs AICS STOCK

marine0351

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
FL
I am torn between these 2 stocks, I know the USMC uses the McMillian and I know its a good stock from usage. But the AICS also intrigues me as well...I did search but did not find a comparison, if I searched incorrectly my apologies.

Please what are your thought regarding the AICS stock vs the A4 (M40A5 stock)...this will be for 500-1000 yard shooting and competitions in the future so please let me know your thoughts.

Also with AICS it looks like its a magazine designed stock, will I need to purchase other parts other than the cost of the stock or is the conversion parts included...?

Thank you brothers and fellow Hogs...

Re: McMillian Rem 700 A4 stock vs AICS STOCK

oops mods if I put this in the wrong forum please move it...my apologies if I did.

Close thread, learned how to use the search button more effectively... : )

I'm guessing you'll be using a Remington 700, based on your questions about the stocks?

It's really all about personal preference between these two stock options, as it's comparing apples to oranges, in my opinion.

The AICS will offer you "drop-in" installation and usage, with its internal aluminum chassis. The detachable mag system is built in, so all you have to do is screw in the barreled action and you're good to go.

That being said, the thumb-hole is not for everybody, so you should really try it out first and see if it fits you. It is a bit more tacticool than the McMillan, especially if you're going with a 2.0 folder, if that's what you're into. You can get more modular options, such as a Badger IMUNS or other front rail add-on, and can have the choice between a normal Harris bipod or an Atlas bipod with their front adapters. It's easier to switch accessories such as these on the AICS over the McMillan.

If you're more into the traditional stock route, you don't have to limit yourself to the McMillan A4. McMillan's A5 is more general user-friendly than the A4, with options of adjustable cheek piece and such. And Manners also makes great stocks as well, and you can get them with their mini-chassis, limiting the need for bedding to get the accuracy and consistency out of the stocks.

Plenty of options, it's really a matter of want/need and what fits you best.

kft101 thank you for the response it was very useful. I just want to verify one point you made, if I go with the AICS stock I can install it myself and since the detachable magazine system is built in I do not need to purchase any other components to use the magazine.

I ask this because if I just buy the stock and install it myself I do not need to buy other components nor have a armorer do the work to make an McMillian stock support a magazine.

I like the idea of changing the stock myself and doing it myself...

thank you again...!

marine...

The AICS actually comes with one magazine. There is ALOT of work that goes into a McMillan plus in the long run will cost you more money by the time you figure in quality bottom metal. I have had both and now only run the AICS, but thats just my opinion. For the cost of either it would be nice to be able to get behind both before you buy.

I would certainly agree with all the advice given here, I would try to spend some time behind both before you make your decision, the AICS seems to be a love it or hate it deal.

Ditto to all the above too.

Can't stress enough the point that you should really get behind and try out the AICS before committing to buy.

It's a great stock, but there are some points with it where it's just a love it or hate it. The thumb-hole doesn't suit all hand sizes comfortably, it kind of forces your shooting hand into a limited position when gripping it, and the grip itself is flat in front and curved/triangular in back, so it may not suit you.

Plus the square flat and slick front foregrip leads some to buy padded grip covers for it.

But again, it is a great stock, especially if you're into installing the rifle yourself. Doesn't really require bedding anywhere, it comes with the dbm built in, and unless you buy it second hand, will already come with one mag. Plus I like the ability to add/remove accessories (front/bottom rails, different bipods) with only a set of standard hex set.

More traditional type stocks such as the McMillans will definitely require more work and probably cost more. You'll need to bed the bottom metal and action to achieve maximum accuracy. Plus with the embedded front rails, if you do get one, it's pretty much a permanent choice, as you'll need to inlet the stock to the front rail and bed it in.

That's why you should also look at the Manners with their mini-chassis. It offers a great mix of traditional stock style (hunting/benchrest) with newer options such as built-in dbm, adjustable cheek-rest, and back to your point, simple drop-in and screw-down installation of your action without needing to bed it. That or the AICS will be a simple screw-down you rifle into the stock (of your choice) and you're good to go.

Sorry for the long essay. Hope all this helps.

thank you for the great information and I appreciate the detail you guys put into it. I will take the advice given and see if I can get behind a AICS before I decide on one or the other.

thank you again...