• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses McNamara T.A.P.S. class...

Sixfivesavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2013
Maryland
I'm looking at this two day class outside of Pittsburg and am wondering if anyone here has taken this, or any of his classes. I'm sure some have. Would the two day pistol class be ok for my first professional class, or would I be better suited with something else? I have been shooting forever and shoot well, but I missed out on the vickers basic class this spring because of being sick, so I don't know if Mac offers something more basic or if this would be ok for me. I've not emailed alias as of yet but plan to. Just figured I could catch some real world info here.

I have taken Mac's TAPS course. Excellent course and excellent instructor - one of the best. With that said, although Mac heavily emphasizes being proficient in the basics, the class itself was not what I would consider basic. The basics, performed unerringly, under time constraints and in various contexts/conditions make a class "advanced" (in my experience). There is a lot going on at times in TAPS. It is not the place to learn sight alignment/picture, trigger control or even mag changes.

Regardless of how long you have been shooting or how well you think you shoot (many folks are notoriously bad at realistically assessing themselves - essentially delusional), I'd say you do not want to be in the class (and no one else wants you there) if you are not very proficient and safe with gun-handling under time constraints and while moving.

I am not a great shooter, not particularly fast, but will usually come out OK on the accuracy end. I strive to be a safe gun-handler first and foremost. I loved the class and found Mac's methodology well-suited for shooter's of various skill levels. He'll let the fast folks shoot as fast as they want, until the train starts to come off the track. Then he uses this to teach people to know the 'home zone" or where they need to be to get the job done. That varies for people, but you need to know where that is for you.

Hope this helps. Mac is a very inspirational instructor.

Finally...some kind of feedback here! I appreciate it, and fully understand what you are saying about self assessment. I was afraid the class was gonna be too fast, looks like I might be right. I'm still kicking myself for missing the vickers basic class. Its hard to find a good basic class to go to first to get a good feel for things from a good instructor.