• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

mcree stock install

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
So my mcree stock should arrive tomorrow morning. Wondering if there are any best practices for instalation besides bolt it in. This is my first chasis stock. Not sure if I should loctite hardware or if there is an ideal torque setting for the chassis pieces as well as the action screws. Any info from mcree owners would be great. Thanks

Re: mcree stock install

Basic instructions I have, just looking to see if there are any extra tricks or specifications folks who have had the stock would suggest.just asking those who may know. We have all had something that after we put it together wish someone had told us something extra.

Here your something extra. You've now eleminated one more thing that was onec and excuse as to why your rifle didn't shoot well.
grin.gif

Have fun, I sure would like that stock.

I changed my R700 from the Hogue overmold to a McRee...no fancy tips or tricks to pass on, and it does make a world of difference.

Going to a Mcree stock on an accurate rifle is like going from a YUGO to a Ferrari.....You just point and shoot....really can tell the difference...Good luck and enjoy They are great.

My experience:

I had a "socket wrench" style adjustable torque wrench that I had been using on my bolt guns with no problem. For some reason, it had reach issues with the action screws on my McRees. The action screws are double depth and I couldn't find a 5/32" socket that was the correct length, that didn't get out of alignment next to the pistol grip. I tried my best with what I had and ended up buggering the rear screw. A call to Scott fixed the issue. He sent me a replacement screw and suggested a FAT Wrench. It is the perfect size for setting the action screws on the McRees.

Secondly, the recommended torque for the action screws on the stock start at 50 in lbs. Your rifle might like that or you might have to play with the torque a little. Mine likes 55 in lbs.

You have a great stock coming, enjoy putting your rifle together. And remember... Scott is only a phone call away and he doesn't seem to mind yahoo's like me calling with questions.

Well, I got the stock on friday, and yea it went together real smoothly, what a great design. Only down side is I ordered it 3 day select shipping so I would have it by thursday. My hope was to get it together so I could hit the range this weekend. They shipped it ground but atleast I got it on friday, except for the fact that they sent a .308 mag for a long action stock, oops! No big deal replacement will be here on monday but it will be a few more weeks I think till I can get back to range so I'm just gonna have to stare at this great rifle, its gonna kill me.

Where are the pictures.....your McRee didn't happen unless you post pictures......hahaha.....

It's hard not being able to shoot a nice rifle and only being able to stare at it......

Folks with mcree stocks, are you using the cheek piece that comes with and if so did you go with a cover of some sort or are most people getting the tubular cheek piece?

The SO Tech stock pack is real nice and comfortable.... you should be able to get one from Scott as well...

By the way.... where are the pics!!!!!

Pics are coming grabbed my camera and discovered no memory card. Asked the wife what happened and it turns out she put it in a digital photo frame we gave her parents. Nice huh!

Finally got some pics and the correct mag arrived today.

fullrtWEB.jpg

rightsideWEB.jpg

BoltWEB.jpg

rearrtWEB.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks with mcree stocks, are you using the cheek piece that comes with and if so did you go with a cover of some sort or are most people getting the tubular cheek piece? </div></div>

I glued thin neoprene onto the cheeckpiece with contact cement. Walmart has the neoprene 8 1/2 x 11 sheets in the craft department. But the only subdued color they have is black.

That is very nice.. Kinda looks like mine, only mine is tan...

Now you have to get out and shoot it... Range report will be required too...

My goal is to get out this weekend, not sure if it was all the great reviews or the constant advertisments on the hide but I purchased an atlas bipod for this rig. Hopefully it and the picitiny rail arrives ontime by friday.