• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McRees Chassis Questions

Zan700

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2012
Connecticut
I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical and unfortunately it is still sitting in the original hogue stock. After doing a lot of research here on the hide, i have not found a single person who dislikes the McRees. The only complaint people seem to have is the the check piece getting cold in the winter which is not serious at all. I have also heard they have great customer service and are excellent to deal with. This summer I plan on purchasing a chassis system and i am really interested in the McRees but for $700 i would love to get my hands on one before purchasing it. Does anyone know if they will send one out before purchasing (like McMillan i think?)...And if not, does anyone know where to find one in stock somewhere in CT? Im even willing to go somewhere in NY or somewhere near by...

If i can not get my hands on one, do you guys think i should just go for it?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Have not got the action in it yet but as above the feel of the stock is AR, which is a large part
of what I had expected for my sight unseen purchase.

Zan, no to deter from your OP, or to say one is better than the other, but have you looked into other options as well? I was recently in the same position, and was having a hard time deciding on a chassis system that fit my 1) budget and 2) requirements. The Mcree came highly recommended by a local friend and long range shooter, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I ended up opting for the XLR Evolution from Kyle, who has been a real pleasure to deal with. I'm not sure what you are looking to do with your rifle after adding the chassis, but the Mcrees were slightly heavier (4.5-5lbs vs 3.5) and seemed too bulky for me. In the end it's really personal preference, and I'm sure you will be mostly happy with any chassis system over the factory Hogue.

Budget is a factor, but i really would like a chassis system. From what i can tell $700 is about the lowest you can get a chassis for. Thank you for bringing up the bulkiness of the McRee though. Primarily i will be shooting the rifle anywhere from 100-500 yards (most space i can find) at steel targets. I also plan on doing some hunting so it would be nice to have something that is not to bulky. I think the XLR definitely would work as well. Do you guys think the McRee would be too bulky for anything other than shooting at the range?

I have also been looking at the Rock Solid Chassis and The XLR. Out of the three i do like the McRees the most but with out having any experience using any of them i do not know which would work out the best. I am going mostly on appearance...

Like i mentioned earlier i primarily will be shooting from a bench or prone at steel targets out around 500 yards...I plan on doing some hunting with it as well.

Again, not to try to make up your mind for you, but I've heard nothing but good come out of the XLR camp, and as I said before Kyle is an awesome guy to deal with. I haven't looked much into the Rock solid, but I know that the XLR is going to come up about a pound or more less than the Mcree on your rifle, depending on your butt stock selection. You have your choice of butt stocks (I went with the tactical style) and in my opinion, it just looks bad ass, but most of the chassis systems do.

In my opinion, the few things I would look at, in order are quality, adjust-ability, weight, everything else. You obviously don't want to be lugging a F class rifle around in the mountains, and you probably don't want to compete with a featherweight, so you have to find something that strikes that perfect balance, the way you perceive it, and decide for yourself. I too would love to shoot my rifle at the range, and still be able to hunt with it, so I kindof centered myself on my perception of a tactical style build. The weight of my gun, once completed should be heavy enough to absorb a bit of recoil, without weighing as much as that girl chasing me around at the club last night.

In the end though, what's best for me, and my use, isn't necessarily going to be the best bet for you.

Thanks for all the input. You have be pretty much convinced to go with the XLR. Like you said the weight seems to fall in that happy medium. It also seems even by looking it would be that perfect combo of a rifle to use at the range and something that could be used to take out and go hunting. The one concern i have, does the barrel sit in the center of the hand rail?

I can't answer that based on first hand experience, as mine isn't due to be ready for another week. I do know the XLR appears to be designed so that the barrel is centered in the hand guard though. I've studied a lot of pictures (ok drooled over), and they all seem to be centered. Again, I'm not trying to sell it to you, only voicing my preferences and opinions based on my own thoughts and research. In fact I hear a lot of people love their Mcrees as well. You will have to decide for yourself, once you are well enough informed to do so. Study your options, ask questions and so forth, because for the amount of money you will be spending, you don't want to end up with something that doesn't satisfy you. There's a lot of good, helpful people around on the Hide, and I'm sure if you searched hard enough you could probably find one willing to meet you at a range to check out their Mcree or XLR or anything else for that matter.

I really appreciate the input. Thats why i came on here to here other peoples opinions, and you brought up some really great points. My friend just informed me that there is a gun store somewhere in Albany, NY that has some McRees in stock so i may go check them out. I won't be able to purchase anything till July so i have some time to figure it all out but i have been talking about doing this for a while, its time i get rid of this hogue stock! Let me know what you think about your XLR when you get it.

I will most certainly let you know as soon as my chassis arrives. If you look around, and end up deciding on the XLR, keep in mind that there will be a wait time, as they are made to order by my understanding (most probably are except AI stuff). Mine was quoted with an 8 week build time. With that said, Kyle will work with you on getting the right package for you, so I would speak to him ahead of time, whether you have all the money in hand or not. I'm sure you will quickly understand why I suggest you do this after speaking to him. I'm also sure you will have some questions, which he will promptly clarify answers to for you.

To be honest, I didn't really have all of the funds for my chassis when I ordered it, mostly due to a series of unfortunate events for my father. I think his troubles are coming to a close now, and I fully plan on doing further business with XLR in the future, based solely on the customer service that I've seen thus far. I've been drooling over the custom actions while I'm waiting on my xlr :)

Zan
i've got mcmillans,manners,hs and 2 mcrees stocks[a folder and non folder] they are all great. But those mcrees are hard to beat! And a stock pack will take care of that cold cheek.........d-1

Zan
I would not think the extra pound of weight to be a bad thing. It helps reduce recoil and makes for a more stable shooting platform.
Also, the "bulkiness" I find more desireable than the XLR for a better rest off of crazy positions, ie resting on a log, I would want a wider front forearm for shooting.
Stock pack is a must.

BUT again, I would get behind both and see which you like/fits YOU better. Thats the bottom line. And folder is a great option.
Only reason I dont like the XLR is the forearm. you will lose stability with that rounded forearm resting on anything. I would reccommend something more square. If McRee not for you, look at the Rock Solid. Its light weight and to the point.

I have been behind all three, and my choice is the McRee hands down for a complete package chassi at a rock bottom price.

Regrads,
DT

Just finished my 300wm today. It sits in a Mcree.

DSC00562_zpsf2d0da9f.jpg

DSC00559_zps3fac219f.jpg

I went with a McRees chassis for my 700 and couldn't be happier about it. I really like all the adjustments it has. It makes getting comfortable behind the rifle really easy. I didn't go with the stock pack instead I put on a cheek-eez, made a world of difference on the cold aluminum.

For those of you who went with the McRees, would it be a good choice if i will be shooting from the bench/prone, and doing some hunting with it? do you find it too bulky to be used for any hunting? Unfortunately the place in Albany where i thought carried the McRees does not, so it looks like I'm out of luck for trying to get behind either of the chassis...I have not heard a single serious complaint about the McRees or the XLR so i am pretty torn between the two...I like the way the XLR looks more than the McRees, but i still think both are great looking stocks

Revenge, very nice looking rifle thanks for posting the pictures.

Last edited:
Also does the Rock Solid run in the same price range as the McRees and XLR, $750ish...?

Last edited:
I shoot mine mostly prone. I went to a match last weekend and shot, standing, Sitting, Kneeling, Prone, Unsuported Prone. Everything about it worked just fine!

I pack mine around coyote hunting also. I have used a sling, and its nice to pack in a back pack. Folding option really makes that nice.

2013-01-30190226_zps66c77a56.png

0316131416a_zpsbb1fcb57.jpg

Clayne thanks for the input.

Just checked out another thread about the McRees vs. Rock Solid, i can't find much on the rock solid but people who have them say they are another great stock. The folding option is not really a huge necessity for me. It seems like a very simple and solid stock. Looks real nice too! Looks like this is not going to be an easy decision...

Thank you everyone for all the input, i have been checking out the Rock Solid Stock...i think i have made up my mind. Rock Solid it is.

If your torn between Mcrees and XLR you can always get the Mcrees receiver and the XLR stock. I almost did that but decided on just the XLR and enjoy it quite a bit. I have also shot the Mcrees and thought it was a great chassis.

Sully