• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mcree's Precision 10/22 Review

Shortbus6588

Driver of the Bus
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2017
OHIO
Let me first say that i am not employed or sponsored by Mcree's Precision and purchased their chassis with my own funds. Last week i was in search for an stock upgrade on my ruger 10/22 with hopes to build into a PWS Summit toggle action for precision rimfire gaming. The 10/22 is a very popular platform but is somewhat lacking in the precision chassis department, i looked at the Titan stock as well as options from Nordic, Pmaca, and Bell & Carlson. Most of my centerfire rifles are in chassis configurations and i was looking to keep that same look and feel. After some research i came across the Mcree's precision 10/22 chassis and decided to give it a shot.

After a trip to their website and a phone call, which was answered by Scott Mcree himself to sort out some questions, i placed an order. Scott is very knowledgeable and communication was outstanding. I received the chassis 5 business days after i placed my order. It arrived neatly packaged with all necessary tools to assemble/ adjust the chassis, as well as a 5/32" x1/4" drive hex key to properly torque the action screw. Thorough instructions were also included, it also came with a T-shirt which i thought was a nice personal touch.

I test fit an bone stock ruger 10/22 target model barreled action (.920 barrel) into the chassis and the fit was nice and snug, no rattles or movement, the barrel is centered in the channel and no additional fitting and tweaks required. i Also tried a few other actions i had on hand (Kidd classic, Pws Summit, Volquartsen superlight) with a stock ruger bx trigger pack and they fit perfectly as well.

The chassis itself is a very solid unit and very rigid. The machining is clean and the Cerakote is well applied. I opted for their non folding adjustable buttstock option which is well shaped and very robust, it should be able to accommodate almost any size shooter. They also offer a AR buffer tube version and you can configure both to be side folding. Magazines fit snugly and do not rattle but are also easily removed, so far I've only tried ruger factory magazines (10, 15 and 25) so i cant speak on others. The chassis also contains their MLEV bubble level which works well and is easy to see from behind the rifle while in position.

I've already changed the grip to my favorite Umbrella Corp. grip but the chassis shipped with an Ergo Deluxe grip which was nice, it takes standard AR style pistol grips. There are QD flush cups in the usual places and the forearm has slots to accommodate MLOK attachments. Im impressed with the build quality and features of the chassis and feel its a great value for the price. Im looking forward to shooting and accuracy testing it tomorrow and will give an update soon.

Last edited:
Here are some photos form the range trip. Rifle shot exceptionally well considering it was wearing a factory Ruger target barrel. Consistently .5-.6" at 10 shot groups 50 yards with the occasional .3 5 shot group with Eley Club (orange box). Slightly better groups were achieved with Eley Target (yellow box) at 100 yards, consistently .9 to 1.10" which is all that can be expected from the current barrel. I tried tuning action screw torque values to find a sweet spot for the rifle but accuracy remained unchanged from 20-60 in-lbs in 5 in-lb increments (2.2-7.0 Newton-meters). The ergos are great for prone or positional shooting. So far i couldn't be more pleased with my purchase.
20180310_103933.jpg
20180310_103943.jpg
20180310_103710.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the review! Mind if I ask what length barrel is in the pictures? Also, when trying out the kidd receiver, did it look like the chassis would have space to accommodate a kidd rear tang?

What's the trigger reach like? The grip looks miles away in the photos, I'm assuming that's some kind of optical illusion.

The grip has the same reach to the trigger as a standard AR grip (like a Magpul MOE) but there is a open gap unlike an ar15 which is solid aluminum. This was done as far as i can tell so the many different styles of 10/22 trigger guards both factory and aftermarket can fit. i am currently working on a gap filler piece to make a smooth transition to the trigger guard and still allow for easy action removal. will update when its finished.

I like to use the MPA enhanced vertical grip and it left a weird gap on my MDT chassis when installed. Got out the black Sugru and after 10 minutes of arts and crafts, problem solved. I let it cure overnight and you can't even tell it's there. You might be able to use it to bridge that gap if you want.

Am I correct in assuming that these won't work with a Kidd rear tang? I didn't see an option on the site, and it doesn't look like there is enough meat in the tang area to mill, before getting into bubble level piece.

There is ~0.800" of space behind the inlet for a factory footprint action until you would reach the bubble level channel, but there is also a a seam where the buttstock assembly attaches there. There may be enough space to inlet for the tang. The best answer is to call Mcree's precsion direct, Scott would know and is willing to work with you on your needs.

Anyone hear about any updates? Last time I emailed, Scott said they were working on a model with a shorter foreend and compatibility without Kidd rear tangs.

Great review.....not much to add. Got mine in the mail yesterday. Very nice piece of hardware. Fit is so precise, my slightly canted V block wouldn't let the action sit down properly. Fixed that pretty quickly. Haven't shot it yet. I'm no gunsmith but i don't think the kidd rear hold down is going to work. Probably going to take it to my gunsmith and have him spot and mill the rear trigger pin through the chassis so i can run a pin completely through the chassis/receiver/trigger group and function as a rear hold down. Done that on a couple of laminate stocks with pretty good success. In my very limited experience, I believe that the major drawback to the 10/22 is the lone action hold down. Tried an MPA vertical grip. Felt great but going to need a significant amount of grinding to make it look and fit right-Norcal911

His description on his site states "Forearm: +/- 14 1/4 inches long, McRee UNS and MLOK ready"

But when I look at the pics I am not seeing M-LOK slots in the forearm. For you guys that have the stock, does yours have the slots for M-LOK attachment?

OK so maybe they added it as a standard feature and have not updated their images.

Tried an MPA vertical grip. Felt great but going to need a significant amount of grinding to make it look and fit right-Norcal911

Any chance you have pics of the grip area with the MPA installed? Im seriously considering one of these but dont want a huge gap from grip to trigger, thanks

well that looks good to me! ill probably call and double check that the cz and 10/22 triggers have same reach when i order, thanks Lonestar!