• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT 12rd AICS Mags w/ Area 419 +4 Extension

Gunfighter716

Got Bourbon?
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Gulf Breeze, FL
I have a couple MDT 12rd AICS mags and was thinking about adding the Area 419 +4 extension to one of them to try out. The +4 extension is designed to work with 5 and 10rd mags, but curious if anyone has tried the +4 on the 12rd mags and ran into any issues.

I've got one installed on a 12 rounder with no issues.

Thanks for confirming. I'll give one a try and see how it goes.
The 419 extensions are awesome. Run flawlessly and very well machined.

Awesome setup. The 12rd mag with +4 extension pretty much eliminates the need to run a 2rd holder. Definitely picking one up.
It's reliably a +3 and can be +4 but takes some decent pressure to get extra round in. My 5 rounders are easy 7, comfortable 8. 10 rounders are easy 12, comfortable 13 and stiff 14 round.

Anyone using these with a 6BR variant? How are they feeding the stubby cartridges? I'm guessing there isn't a spacer kit available for a 12+4.

Anyone using these with a 6BR variant? How are they feeding the stubby cartridges? I'm guessing there isn't a spacer kit available for a 12+4.
I believe MDT is coming out with mags designed to work with the 6BR variant which would be ideal. Pretty sure they are out in the wild for testing. Assuming the same extension would work as well, but we'll probably have to wait until they the market to confirm.

I couldn’t get the last three rounds to feed when I tried with the MDT 12 rounder. I thought about bending/stretching the spring but didn’t want to mess it up.

Anyone try the Seekins+2 with an MDT 12 rounder? I have one on an Accurate Mag I could swap over. 14 rounds would be nice for some stages...

I believe MDT is coming out with mags designed to work with the 6BR variant which would be ideal. Pretty sure they are out in the wild for testing. Assuming the same extension would work as well, but we'll probably have to wait until they the market to confirm.

I appreciate the response. Thank you!

I couldn’t get the last three rounds to feed when I tried with the MDT 12 rounder. I thought about bending/stretching the spring but didn’t want to mess it up.
Generally, you will need to elongate the spring a few inches to keep enough tension to move rounds upwards. It's part of the 419 install instructions.

I am using the MDT 12 round magazine with a modified Primal Rights kit for my 22 BR. I can get 13 rounds in it pretty easy. MDT is coming out with a BR magazine that is the 12 round version with a BR/Dasher kit installed.

Seeing more and more extensions, larger mags, etc. for the AICS pattern really makes me wish someone would make a damn 12-14 round AW mag already. Seems like design on it would be a no-brainer, too.

Generally, you will need to elongate the spring a few inches to keep enough tension to move rounds upwards. It's part of the 419 install instructions.
I actually went and checked the two unopened boxes I have for two of their extensions and neither have instructions, just a sticker and an Allen wrench. I feel less stupid lol. So just stretch the spring out?

Here are instructions.
I actually went and checked the two unopened boxes I have for two of their extensions and neither have instructions, just a sticker and an Allen wrench. I feel less stupid lol. So just stretch the spring out?
Here you go. I was wrong; it's 1.5" longer than current "stock" configuration follower + spring.

I have a few MDT 10 round magazines, and wanted to get a few more rounds in it. On MDT's website for their mag extenders, they say that to use them, I need to buy a new spring/follower.

I am guessing that means I need to do the same if I buy the Area 419 one? My current 10 round mag, it's a good amount of effort to get the 10th round in, so it feels like that spring does have some capability to be run a bit longer and have the right tension.

Area419's website on their mag extensions don't mention anything about having to buy a new spring -

But MDT's does:

"When used with MDT 10-round metal magazines, a longer spring/follower combination must be used (available separately on the MDT website), as the existing spring is not long enough to provide sufficient force on the follower when the extender is installed "

Yes. You'll have to buy the longer spring. I tried the same combo you're talking about. The spring is not long enough to keep pressure on the follower when empty or almost empty.

Reactions: littlepod
Wish I read these posts before picking up the Area 419 extension. Definitely doesn't work with my MDT 10-round magazine with the stock mag spring. Pretty lame that I now need to get an extended mag spring to get these to work.

I use the standard MDT mag/spring with 419 extensions. Zero issues. But you do need to stretch the spring slight before Installation. Should be in the instructions included with the Area 419 extension. Have 3 mags setup this way. No issues all of last season or this season.

I have a 12rd mdt with a area 419 +4. I stretched the springs like the instructions said and it has worked just fine.