• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT 6 BR Mags Scratching

FNG1001

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
Anyone else getting bad scratches on their brass when running these magazines?
What did you do to fix it? I'm running them in an MDT ACC Elite chassis and Impact action.

yup. terrible. with old and new followers.

deformed cases too

The scratches are quite bad. My first impressions were how tight inserting the magazine were, until i ran a couple dummy rounds and saw the scratches.

Can you isolate where in the feeding process the scratches are coming? Many times I’ve had to lightly file or dremel the feed lips on magaxinses as they came from the factory. It’s just stamped and bent sheet metal and they are rarely deburred to much of an extent.

And no, I’ve not had that problem with the three I’m running. One of them is tighter than shit in the mag well though. Tolerance variations.

My MDT mags scratched my Dasher brass too until I took some 800 grit sandpaper and worked on the feed lips.

Another for sandpaper on inside corner of feed lips.

@b6graham had another issue altogether. I dont even know how the mag distorted the brass how it did.

Reactions: b6graham
sanded and polished the bottom of the feed lips with metal polish kit until they're nice and shiny (chrome shiny) and scratches went away for me.

You can always polish the feed lips.

However, have these scratches resulted in any material degradation in performance or other metric?

My brass is all scratched, but it's purely aesthetic. I don't care how my brass looks. But I also don't post vanity pics of wet tumbled brass to precision rifle FB groups for clout.

Maybe the mags are seating too high and bottoming out in the action, making the feed lips too tight?

Just a SWAG.
the feed lips were opened to the point the slightest tap ejects the top round and they still deform

the feed lips were opened to the point the slightest tap ejects the top round and they still deform
That’s weird.

I’d have to do a bunch of careful observation of the round coming out of the mag while slowly closing the bolt before I’d begin to understand how that is happening.

That’s weird.

I’d have to do a bunch of careful observation of the round coming out of the mag while slowly closing the bolt before I’d begin to understand how that is happening.
it's not coming out the top that does it. it's just them being in a mag in general

I've smoothed the lips on every metal mag I've used. piece of sand paper like the others. Should solve ur issue

we have been getting dented cases just behind the shoulder of 6bra cases in the newer 10 round mdt mags. the new follower is to tall. I took 6mm off mine and has been much better. the old mags have been no issue. seems like the new 308 mags are now causing the same issues. I have some that i need to check over for a guy as he is having issues loading 10 rounds in.