• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT 6BR mags for .224 Valkyrie?

Casey_H

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2019
    San Marcos TX
    Looking for some info from anyone who's successfully built a bolt gun in 224 Valkyrie. Comment, pm me, link to another thread, etc.

The action is a TL3 with a Switch Lug, the barrel is a 26" 1:7.7 from Krieger.

I'm trying to find out what mags I'm going to run. A lot of what I've found is guys running modified 6.8 mags, which are currently difficult to find in DSSF pattern. Now the MDT 6BR AICS mags have a max COAL of 2.505" with the Valkyrie OAL being around 2.260" depending on the bullet. So theoretically this should work with minimal adjustment to the feed lips. I just want to get some feedback from anyone who's tried this before I order a couple $90 magazines.

Thanks

I use the polymer MDT mags for my Valkyrie bolt gun. I have one that was made for 223 that I modified the feed lips with a dremel, and another that was made for the Valkyrie. I have not had an issue with either of them only draw back is that they are only 8 round mags, but I think they offer an extension for them. I think @padom used the MDT 6br mags with a little modification to the feed lips.

We use the Accurate 223 insert mags and modify the insert to fit the Valk.
    Years ago, prior to 223 mags for aics patterns, we worked over the feed lips of 308 mags.

I just started using the 6br mags and will tweak the feedlips soon. As they come they work up to about 5 rounds then nose dive into the magazine beyond that.

With you 7.7 twist rate, what bullet will you run and with what expected velocity? The longer bullets may not stabilize with the velocities you can get with the amount of powder the valkyrie can hold.

Maybe contact snbyiggidy here on the forum. He did a Tikka T3 Valkyrie and is running Accurate mags with Primal Rites kits no problems he said.