• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT metal 223 or accurate metal

Dogsniper

Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2014
    Wyoming
    My last aics poly mags are wearing out.
    I’m done with poly after all of the issues I’ve had with these over the years.
    Which of these two is more reliable and allows for longer c.o.a.l.
    Thanks

Accurate is absolutely the best 223 mag I’ve used in 4 different rifles, mdt steel mag didn’t feed well for me and only holds 8 comfortably.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dogsniper
    My experiences with .223 AICS mags:

1) Original AI poly mag (now discontinued): Worked great out of the gate but after a few sessions rounds started to dive, a lot. Got rid of the mag.

2) MDT poly mags: Damn these things have some stiff springs in them. They have mostly fed well though, requiring a good hard push given the springs, most times I have had them out. Occasionally, it seems mostly on very cold days, they want to nose up the occasional round though. In these cases the round will jam on the face of the barrel above the chamber. Also, the MDT poly mags are physically large, bigger than the metal MDT .308 / 6.5 CM mags I have so many of. I have encountered a chassis and bottom metal they don't fit in so some users may encounter an issue. Fortunately, the chassis and bottom metals they haven't fit did not happen to be the ones I use on my .223, they were on other AICS pattern mag rifles so it didn't end up an issue for me. I expect I will eventually sell both the MDT poly mags I have. They require a bit more vigorous running of the bolt than I prefer and when they rarely misfeed this interacts with the fairly light neck tension on my reloads to stove rounds. I just don't trust them. Of course, being poly mags, I am also hesitant to try to alter anything about the feed lip geometry as that usually doesn't go well with poly and would probably just wreck the mag.

3) Accurate mag lined metal .223 mag: Yikes, this thing is expensive. It also protrudes from the mag well significantly further than other mags. That being said, not one misfeed so far. At this point I am really only using that Accurate mag because it feeds easily and smoothly and I trust it. Last couple rounds do go in a bit stiffer than the first bunch but it works fine with all 10.

I have one of the new MDT metal mags on order that I picked up on black friday and am also excited to try that out. I am aware of just one more .223 AICS mag type in existence, the Magpul AICS Pmag. I have not yet tried this one at this time either.

I should also note that my .223 has a standard chamber and so I haven't paid any attention to mag COAL as none of my rounds is loaded long enough for that to matter. They would not fit in the chamber if they were.

Lastly, it seems from what I have read that .223 AICS mags and how they interact with a particular rifle can be a bit idiosyncratic, so my experiences should not be necessarily translated as applicable to your rifle. Bottom line, I would recomend getting one of each and selling what you don't like. Want to buy a couple poly MDT's?

I have both MDT metal and Accurate metal mags for 223. Both feed equally well from my Impact action with AW cut. The MDT has slightly longer feedlips, and allows for a longer OAL; having said that, I'm loading to COAL 2.455" with zero issues.

Overall they feel identical in my gun.

Timely thread for me as I am looking at these exact mags for my new .223 build. (I couldn't find the MDT metal mags in stock anywhere or that could be another option.)

I will be using a Bighorn Origin action in an MPA Hybrid chassis. After using them on my MPA 6.5 CM, I automaticalled ordered an Accurate mag to try out that is enroute. I didnt think about it, then I discovered last night that their max COL is only 2.325". I am going with a Wylde chamber and I am hoping it likes the Hornady 75 grain ELD-M's which will require a longer OAL. I may try the 80's but have no plans to go heavier.

So my options look like:
    1. Give the Accurate Mag the dremel treatment to accommodate a longer COL.
    2. Return the Accurate Mag and try the MDT poly mags that support a 2.550 COL.
    What do you guys think?

Timely thread for me as I am looking at these exact mags for my new .223 build. (I couldn't find the MDT metal mags in stock anywhere or that could be another option.)

I will be using a Bighorn Origin action in an MPA Hybrid chassis. After using them on my MPA 6.5 CM, I automaticalled ordered an Accurate mag to try out that is enroute. I didnt think about it, then I discovered last night that their max COL is only 2.325". I am going with a Wylde chamber and I am hoping it likes the Hornady 75 grain ELD-M's which will require a longer OAL. I may try the 80's but have no plans to go heavier.

So my options look like:
    1. Give the Accurate Mag the dremel treatment to accommodate a longer COL.
    2. Return the Accurate Mag and try the MDT poly mags that support a 2.550 COL.
    What do you guys think?

I've also got the MDT poly mags, and I think the Accurate mag with a slight dremel is superior (I also run 75 ELDM). The Accurate mags are very high quality and have been the standard for a long time. Just my $0.02.

On black Friday optics planet had the MDT polymer magazines for around $17, free shipping over $50. I ended up going with the MDT metal magazine for $40+ shipping from MDT. I'd be hard pressed to drop the normal price of either without knowing it would work. I couldn't find many reviews on the newer MDT 223 magazines. Hoping my big horn likes the mag.

On black Friday optics planet had the MDT polymer magazines for around $17, free shipping over $50. I ended up going with the MDT metal magazine for $40+ shipping from MDT. I'd be hard pressed to drop the normal price of either without knowing it would work. I couldn't find many reviews on the newer MDT 223 magazines. Hoping my big horn likes the mag.
    Let us know how it goes with the MDT metal mags. MDT (and others) are now out of stock on those. The poly mags are out there though.

I am pretty handy with a dremel so I may try modifying the Accurate Mag. Hornady specs a COL of 2.390 for both the 75 and 80 grain ELD-M's so it wont take much.

What were the problem with the poly MDT mags? What rifle? Been using them in my .223 TL3 and they run great and feed smooth. Just ordered a couple more from MDT on black friday. Just wondering what the issues were and have you tried the steel mags?

Just got an email from MDT, they expect to ship the backordered metal 223 magazine by the end of the year. Much faster than I expected given the scale of the sale. I'll circle back once I have it in hand.

What were the problem with the poly MDT mags? What rifle? Been using them in my .223 TL3 and they run great and feed smooth. Just ordered a couple more from MDT on black friday. Just wondering what the issues were and have you tried the steel mags?
    I am also interested in any specific issues with the poly MDT mags. Rob01 using them with a TL3 (and buying more) is a strong endorsement based on his considerable expertise.

I just looked at the Sierra 80 grain load data and it lists 2.550 as the recommended COL. (I have a bunch of these left over from my high power days so I want to give them a shot.) I don't know if you can even get that far with the Accurate dremel mod without also trimming the rear somehow. Someone said .180 could be gained at the front, which would only get to 2.505.

On second thought, i looks like it may be a lot easier to not modify anything and just go with the MDT polys.

Is anyone using the MDT polys with an MPA Chassis? (The MPA is not listed on the MDT chassis compatability list.)

Last edited:
    I've only used the Steel Accurate Mags.

Mag No1 was a standard "Accurate Mag". It worked and functioned flawlessly.

Mag No2 was a Ruger branded magazine from their Gunsite Scout Rifle that was made for Ruger by Accurate Mag.
    The polymer feed lips on this mag were extended 1/4" further forward than the standard mag but this made zero difference in the function and feeding of the mag. It also worked flawlessly.

RE MDT Metal mags
    Bought one to try on Badger M2013 in a KRG chassis. The poly mags lock up correctly and feed as expected. Metal one doesn’t lock in and will not feed. I haven’t played around but not a drop in and go solution