• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT poly/metal magazines wop... wop...

krimet

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
When MDT dropped their poly/metal magazines, I thought they were going to be that magic sweet spot. Reliability of the metal up top, with the weight savings of polymer throughout. Unfortunately, after running them for a short period I noticed that my bolt was starting to bind. After closer inspection I I found that the front corners of the polymer shaved off.
IMG_9405.png

That results in the magazine inserting too far and the bolt binding.
IMG_9403.png

All of the loading/shooting occurred while prone, off a bipod. So, not a particularly abusive scenario. I have two of them and it happened with both. One more than the other. I suspect that's the case because I was using one more than the other. To be clear, I think that MDT produces good products. I even ordered a couple more metal mags from them after I discovered this problem. Just thought I would share in case others are considering that particular product. YMMV.

I was not impressed by them either. They are lighter than the Accuracy International 10-round metal magazine. The MDT metal/poly mag weighs 5.38 oz vs 9.01 oz on the AI magazine.

Hey y'all, I am not sure how I missed this! The reason that the two front corners are removed on that magazine are so that we can have them work better with the Howa 1500 pattern actions. From what I was aware, we hadn't rolled that change out to all of them, but I suppose not?

@krimet I am not sure if you already have, but I would bring this to our customer support teams attention as we shouldn't have magazines out there that knowingly have feeding issues. Please email them at [email protected] for more details :D

@MDT_OFFICIAL

Josh