• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT TAC21 chassis

FireTruckGuy

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2014
Greeley Co
Is anyone running the TAC21? I don't have a lot of choices when It comes to a long action Savage, but I do like the looks of the TAC21.

How does it function for you? Any impute would be helpful.

Thanks, Brett

I have three of them and I love them 223,308,300 Norma mag, the ergonomics is fantastis and the function is flawless
they also have another Chassis called the LSS I have two of them as well and it is a real toss up which one I like better

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of tube gun style chassis. You're making a chassis one size and then installing a action inside of it that varies in tolerance more often than not and then you're mounting your optic to the chassis not to a solid mount on the receiver. If I recall with the TAC21 it's also a pain in the ass the remove the bolt from the gun. Then you have the problems of stocks. If you mount a full length AR stock on it the LOP will be way too long. If you use a collapsible stock I have seen the stocks fail from heavy recoil and collapse.

I'd look elsewhere. At $800 plus a stock and magazine the MDT is not cheap. The LSS is cheaper but you still have the buttstock issue and the forend on that thing is useless. For the same price you can get a manners or McMillan, they'll inlet whatever you want. You can also get the XLR if you want that style of chassis.

You're making a chassis one size and then installing a action inside of it that varies in tolerance more often than not and then you're mounting your optic to the chassis not to a solid mount on the receiver.
That is not the case on the TAC21. The action is pulled into the v-bedding and has nowhere to go. You will see guaranteed accuracy increase.

If I recall with the TAC21 it's also a pain in the ass the remove the bolt from the gun.
That was the case on the first model, several years ago. Now it can be done in seconds.

Then you have the problems of stocks. If you mount a full length AR stock on it the LOP will be way too long. If you use a collapsible stock I have seen the stocks fail from heavy recoil and collapse.
It depends on what you are looking for. Using a Magpul PRS the LOP is 14" - 15".

The LSS is cheaper but you still have the buttstock issue and the forend on that thing is useless.
The LSS was certainly designed for collapsible stocks. With the new version of the fixed stock adapter, the LOP is certainly still on the high end for people who want to use a fixed stock on it, but works for most people.

I dunno, millions of tube style of ARs are enough for me to look twice at this chassis. cppdsniper, thanks for the info. I talked with MDT about the rear stock they are offering and it should be re released in a couple months, I think I might go with that one.

Maartenvr, I take it your working for MDT? Is the release of the long action savage tac21 chassis still a couple weeks out?

Fire, are you dead set on a MDT? Might want to check out McRee I know they work pretty damn awesome. And I will say I have shot a MDT chassis build and a XLR. Out of the three I decided to go with the McRee on a .308 rifle and a 300WM rifle.