• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Meanwhile, back at the local old gun store..........

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Way in the back of the stack, I found a couple guns that interested me. One is a Venezualan short Mauser in 7X57. Marked as made by FN Herstal, Belgium. Looks like a handy little gun. I had something like it, years ago, but sold it. I think that one was Chilean. That action was interesting because when you raised the bolt, it opened on it's own accord via a spring. Miss that gun. This one I found doesn't do that, but it's still a nice little gun. Gonna take my bore lite with me when I go back. The other gun is an Egyptian Hakim, in 8mm Mauser. Never saw one before. Shoots the same cartridge as my 98K. Already have the dies. I'm wondering how accurate the 7X57 carbine could be? any thoughts?.............and I'm back from another look. The mauser's numbers didn't match. The bore was ok, not stellar, but ok. Passed on $325 for it. Am I wrong? The Hakim was nice, but I thought $650 was a bit steep, so I passed on that too. They did have an older than k31 Swiss straight pull. I'll research that now. They wanted $300 for that one.

Last edited:
Older than K31 would be a K11, if it is carbine length... rifle length it could be an 1889, 1889/96, 96/11 or a 1911.

The 1889 and 1889/96 are wall hangers, but the 96/11 and the 1911 are capable of handling GP11... and are fine shooters. There are other versions (Model 1897 Kadet Rifle, Model 1889/1900 Short Rifle and Model 1905 Carbine) but the odds of finding one outside a high end collection or a museum are remote.

ETA- Grab some GP11 while it is still available, it is superb.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan. I think I'll take another look at the Swiss. I picked up a K31 last week and I'm waiting on a scope base. This would be a second, before I've shot the first. I'll see what the bore looks like.

Great site for information! Thanks Dan. Guess the choice is simple. A 7-57,with non matching numbers, or a Swiss made rifle with a history of accuracy, for the same price? I'm going to need more ammo. Maybe I should get the .41 cal rim fire repeater, they had, for over the fireplace, too.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at it, again. He wants $425. I think I'm going to put in the "project time" on an old German bolt gun I got from my Grandfather. I did, however, pick up a couple more K31s. Classic Arms just got a new bunch in, and he says they're the best he's seen in a while.

Yes, it was Steeles. Go get her! If I can help, let me know. Last night, I went in a completely different direction and bought an old Benchrest gun. It's an FN Deluxe Single shot, in 22-250 with a BEAUTIFUL wood stock, from Gunbroker. From what I could research, it's from the 60's or 70's. The stock is either walnut or mohagany, and is stunning. I was looking at doing a build for a Tikka Master Sporter type, but then I saw this and couldn't resist. I've been looking for some nice wood. I found out it's a #6 action, by FN Belgium. Single shot Benchrest. Maybe not as stiff as a modern one, but I think it'll be OK for me, as I don't compete. Got it for $700.00 Maybe I did OK. Never saw one before, but it looks good. It has a fancy cap on the end of the "pistol grip", that has a "P" engraved on it.
Was the shop Steele's on Rt 9?

Last edited: