• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Measuring 100 yards accurately?

Steve1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
Montana
I'd like to test my rifle out to see how much it will drop at longer ranges. Pacing off 100 yard increments isn't the most accurate way. I was thinking I could measure off increments of distance with a carpenter's tape, but that might take forever. I don't have a range finder yet. A GPS is only accurate to so many feet. I'd like to measure off at least 600 yards. Any ideas on this? Thanks for your help...

Measuring wheel would be my choice. If you only need it once, you can "rent" it from Lowe's or similar. Don't remove the tags, keep it in perfect condition, and return it when you are done.

The hundred yard tapes sound like a good way to go. I didn't realize they are only $25. for a cheaper one. I hope there isn't too much stretch in it. Thanks for the advice!

What GPS do you have? I used my garmin 60csx to mark off all the targets at the local range before I had a lrf.

It was very accurate.

Get a transit and a pole marked with 6' between two marks When the difference between the 2 marks is 1.145 degrees, you are 300 feet away

Get a transit and a pole marked with 6' between two marks When the difference between the 2 marks is 1.145 degrees, you are 300 feet away

Same idea, and you already have a measuring device on your rifle, or SHOULD. Ten mils is 36" at 100 yards. Mark your target and bracket the marks and you're there (assuming your mil reticle subtends accurately).

I use a 100 ft tape. The GPS Status phone app is also pretty accurate (depending on what day it is ha). I've had it within 3 feet of my tape reading. However, its sporadic and it will occasionally have a margin of error well over 20 feet (maybe its just my location idk). I typically use the tape, GPS status, then I mil dot it just for additional practice.

Last edited:
Take an old fishing reel big enough to hold 600 yards of braided line (it doesn't stretch) . You could crimp shot weights at yardage or something more visible would be better. Higher gear ratios would take less time to reel in. Gtg

I bought a 100 ft. fiber-glass tape. I wonder if it will stretch much?

Hey Rigger.....I was wondering what kind of rigger you are. I have my senior rigger's license for chest mount reserves. I'm an old skydiver and ex-army jumper (jumpmaster).

+1 on the Google Earth. Easy cheese. You can also build up some pretty sweet range cards to with the pro version.

Full swing with a 7 iron consistently gets me 190 yards. Then just pace off the rest!

Last edited:
Measuring 100 yards accurately?

I use a Nikon 1200 range finder and it has served me very well.
How do you know? Did you range a target with it, then measure that distance manually? Because I guarantee you that there will be a difference.

....Which is probably the point of this Thread.

How do you know? Did you range a target with it, then measure that distance manually? Because I guarantee you that there will be a difference.

When I first got it I took out my house plans and checked it against the distance on the surveyed points on my property boundary. While it was only ~ 600 feet by ~ 300 feet (I don't remember the exact #'s) the readings were within 0.1 feet. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:
If 100 yards is all you need, you can get cheapo rangefinders for 150 bucks that will do that.

Last edited:

If you get your DOPE with the same tool that you later use your DOPE with, any miscalibration of the tool will not matter.

Even the tedious tape measure has the problem that it will not get the straight line distance unless you lay it down on a dry salt lake. Plus who is going to lay a tape measure to an unknown distance target before shooting it?

LRF and/or mil dots on a calibrated target size would be my choices.

I was a heavy equipment operator and construction superintendent by trade. We use 300' tape all the time. If it is good on a $15 million road project. It is good enough for your gun.

correction 200 meters just got it out of the tool box, measures in inches feet yards meters whatever you want and has a camera option with cross hair to pick distant targets in daylight when the laser cant be seen.. if you want extremely accurate out to 200 yards then buy a LEICA!!

Measuring range of 0.05 up to 200 m(0.16 ft up to 650 ft)
typ. accuracy ± 1.0 mm (± 0.04 in)

if that's not accurate enough then what is?!?!

Last edited:
OOOOH! We should do a group buy, for some of the "belittling loudmouth experts" on this site, so they can accurately measure their egos.
correction 200 meters just got it out of the tool box, measures in inches feet yards meters whatever you want and has a camera option with cross hair to pick distant targets in daylight when the laser cant be seen.. if you want extremely accurate out to 200 yards then buy a LEICA!!

Measuring range of 0.05 up to 200 m(0.16 ft up to 650 ft)
typ. accuracy ± 1.0 mm (± 0.04 in)

if that's not accurate enough then what is?!?!

Get this. It uses Google Earth but you can measure in feet, yards or whatever.
muzaby8e.jpg