• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Medium Tac 308 build

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Here's another one. This Starting off again with a "doner" stock that'll have to be reborn for the action.

This rifle gets the full monty as well. It's one of the Special Police receivers from F/N. Overall a pretty nice piece. I've already blueprinted this receiver (had a whole bunch to do here recently)

Barrel is a Bartlein. Chambered up real nice. should be a pretty cool piece once I'm all done with her.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Re: Medium Tac 308 build

I would be interested in hearing your professional opinion of the FN SPR action compared to an R700 in an application like this.

I personally really like CRF type actions.

I was once part of a project with the Jordanian gov. Seems they wanted a man portable rifle capable of defeating an commercial jet wind shield. Those of us who took part in the development decided on a CRF action.

Non rotating extractor caps off the breech, mitigating eating the blast in the event of a case rupture.

CRF is dead reliable when properly set up.

3 pos safety completely bypasses the sear.

Open architecture trigger of the MP64 runs dirty, wet, cold, hot, etc. Very reliable!

Integrated recoil lug greatly simplifies things and places very little shear load upon the barrel tennon when in recoil.

Only thing I don't like is the interrupted thread in the receiver. I fix that problem myself.

The extractor cut sucks too IMO.

The Scimitar action by Dakota Arms is what I worked on. No extractor cut, cone breech (with a claw, yee haa!)

Cool stuff.

The Remmy 700 has its place but I still edge a good CRF as a pet favorite.

C

Thanks for you professional insight, and as always, thanks for doing these build threads, they are very informative and interesting.

Back to work.

Got the stock back in the mill and took a fly cut pass to level off the top. This isn't as easy as it looks. With this volume of resin it generates quite a bit of heat and the material swells a bit while curing. This is advantageous in some ways as it ensures the stuff fills any voids I may have missed when packing it in.

The point is it's tough to know exactly where the goop ends and the original stock begins because it's boiled over the top. Careful work with an endmill gives me the showline of the stock and from there I can adapt my locating fixture to put the show line parallel with the table.

Were ready to start the computer work again. This action is in really good shape. Not near the marks/boogers that the Winny I was working on yesterday had. Should go much faster for this one.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Just finished drafting the front lug. I like the steel F/N uses. cuts really well with good carbide inserts.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Jeff Gordon fan eh? Yeehaw!

Love your work and the pic threads. Inspires me to try harder, and learn more. Thanks again Chad!

I'm suing your avatar.

I stare at that damn thing way too much.

Thanks for the kind words.

PS: Jeff Gordon is a homo. <span style="font-style: italic">I'm an AMA road race guy at heart!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff Gordon is a homo. </div></div>

You're now on my good guy list Chad.

Looks great Chad, it's getting closer to range time.
    also the reason for the home brew chilli is that the stock was a Mc A3 Rem inlet now being converted to the Fn action. Again thanks for all your hard work.
    Tony

Tony were lookin good buddy. Just finished bedding the 300Wm. Yours is up next. I'm working late tonight to get you two moving along. Trying to make delivery by end of the month. It'll be close but I just might pull it off.

I'll have some pics shortly showing the goo fest. They look so bad when they are cooking.
    smile.gif

Back in a few. I gotta start mixin!

C

Outstanding work Chad, i'll be sending the 300wsm we talked about soon. thanks for emailing your reamer list.

The reamer list is a constantly evolving document here it seems. David makes a fair chunk of change from me! (bugger!)

It'll be a once a month update on the site. My web guy is in the process of updating quite a few things. It should hopefully be up and running by late Sunday or early Monday morning.

I can't stress this enough. If ANYONE is in need of web design, you are doing yourself a great disservice not to call "The Longman" at LNH Design. Just visit my site and you can find him easily.

I met this guy on a LS1 GTO car forum (recently sold mine
    frown.gif
    ) and he worked his ass off for me. He's a good chit and ALWAYS delivers. Top shelf all the way.

This was my car. Blown, nitroused, meth injected PISSED off LS1. Lots of Lingenfelter n Jesel parts.

Basically an entire savings account.

DSC_0046-1-1.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

One thing I will boast about a little is the site. I receive a ton of comments (all positive) about the layout, formatting, and general look. I'd love to take credit for it, but I can't. He did it all and never had anything to do with a gun prior to meeting me. Natural talent rises to the top and it shows in his work.

Ok, enough ass kissing.

This rifle's now bedded. We'll see how she turns out in the morning.

Nite.

C

i have more than handful of reamers that Dave made for me,maybe you can use some of them.
    as far as the car ...well i know where your coming from
    We missed SpeedWeek last August do to transmission issues.
    but the new GForce GF-5R just arrived.

Selling10-10050.jpg

i forgot to mention,nice Pontiac.
    That LS motor looks like it has a serious amount $$$ in it.

I'm a total slut for tooling.

Gimme a call if you like. I have a half hour drive as soon as my truck thaws out. (about -5 outside right now)

that Volvo looks very annoyed. Nice.

My latest effort is my little piss ant 2.10 cubic inch Moki two stroke for one of my race planes. I've been dickering with this thing all year.

A 16x16 prop would turn to 7400rpm on the ground. Was good for about 90 mph on 10% nitromethane.

Several modifications later I'm now turning the same prop at 11,200 on 60% nitro.

As I've discovered its all about fuel delivery. This little biche slurps about 6oz a minute. It's so radical now it won't really idle and is a real pain to start. Once it pops though all hell breaks loose.

My next project is to get my 80cc twin built so I can compete in USRA Formula One Pro. I'm building this one from scratch. Got the crank done. Pistons are next. JE sold me some forged slug blanks for cheap so I'll get after them as time allows.

Someday. . . Hoping to swing a 22x26 pitch prop around 9800. That'll wake the dead!

PA276312_Large_.jpg

This is my buddies heavily modified 210cc ZDZ engine for his unlimited plane. Chucksters is a wildman! Big time dry lake racer. He's running something like a 30x28 pitch prop. They kill the lights hoping to see the exhaust flames. Trouble is the engine is so efficient there wasn't much!

It's a bad ass. Making almost 80hp or some crazy chit.

Sick engine

Gnite.

C

Finally getting back on track with this bugger.

Stock is bedded and the tang is blended. Took some extra work on this girl cause the stock isn't really meant for a Winny. (even though this is a F/N, it's still a Winny in my book)

Barrel channel is a little snug so were gonna open her up a bit.

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

Off to the races!

C

Finally got the floor metal in this bugger.

As the pics show, we have ourselves an alignment issue with the front hole. Not to worry because I am now FEARLESS with the mighty power of the TIG welder.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzap!

More to follow.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Looks great FEARLESS. It's good to see the old girl again.
    On a side note how would these actions favor a 7mm RSUM col ect, possible future hunting rig.
    Thanks Tony

Tonyman!

Just about got all the inletting wrapped up buddy. Bolt handle inlet looks perrrtttttyyyyy sharp.

Waiting on the mag from CDI, then she's OFF TO PAINT!

Woo Hoo!

More to come!

C

Great!!
    Still going w/ the Woodland camo.
    Also it's great to see your Bolt fluting is
    still at the top of the Charts! #1 hit'
    Now I know you're FEARLESS
    Sent 2 yesterday.
    Again Thanks for all your hard work.
    Tony