• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mega Arms MA-Ten Mono weights *pics added*

sgtbutt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Cheyenne, WY
Just got my MA-Ten Mono from my dealer. All I have to say is DAMN! The fit and finish is amazing. When Mega says they match an upper to lower to insure best fit they do. There is next to no movement when you try to move the receivers. Machining is amazing, no marks possible anywhere. The finish is a 100% match from Upper to lower and is a deep deep black.

Anyways, this is all things that you have heard before. We've all read about these units but one thing that I haven't been able to find is how much they weigh. When I seen and held the shipping box I was amazed at the initial heft. Upon opening the box and pulling the receiver set out I was taken back. The receiver weighs almost as much as the bbl nut wrench. So here goes with the weights. I apologize before hand as I only have a fish scale so the weights are approximations.

Lower-.5 lbs
Upper-2.5 lbs
Set-3 lbs

Now the kicker
Bbl nut wrench-2.5 lbs

Talk about surprised, the upper weighs as much as the wrench. The wrench itself is stout like none other.

Oh and the lower weight is with the takedown pins installed and upper weight is with charging handle and dustcover installed. Now look at say a DPMS receiver with a DD Lite 7.62 rail.

As per DPMS website, their stripped A3 receiver weighs .9 lbs. Danie Defense Lite rails weigh 18.1 oz from their website. Combine these weights and you have right at about 2 lbs, and that's without CH and dustcover. Although the charging handle and dustcover weigh next to nothing there is still only half pound difference.

Yes oz matter when you are humping it up and down hils/mountains or packing it along on a patrol, but the principle behind a Mono system was the icing on this wonderful cake of a weapon system. Having torque distributed throughout the whole upper, uninterrupted rail and an over all clean look are worth looking at. I haven't started putting all my components together yet but have full confidence suggesting this to anyone for a build.

My build specs are

Mega MA-Ten Mono
Rainier Select 18" bbl
Vltor GB
OPS Inc Muzzle Brake
DPMS BCG
Fulton LPK
Giessele SSA

Furniture is all FDE Magpul
MIAD
MBUS
AFG
XTM panels and Rail Ladders
I currently have a PRS butt as this feels so light weight to me that I will most likely get a UBR instead.

Pics will follow as I get the rifle finished.

Re: Mega Arms MA-Ten Monolithic weights

Thank you very much for the information and comparison. I have been looking at the Mega Arms receivers for a future 7.62mm build. I'm very new to all of this but keen on learning. Also, your component list is educational for a newbie, like me.

I look forward to your future photos. Good luck with the build!

-- Mike

Monday guys, Monday. The brown truck with bbl, gb, DPMS reciever block, gas tube and trigger isn't coming till Monday. Once I get home Monday I'll have it thrown together, depending on my class schedule will dictate whether or not I get to take it out although I'm shooting (no pun intended) for Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon to take it out. I'll post pics and let you guys know how it shoots.

You cannot go wrong with the Mega MA-TEN platform! I love mine and all the ones I supplied during the groupp buy and others have had nothing but +1 comments. I agree thge wrench on the monolithic is shocking the 1st time you see it and also a +1 for Mega since they supply it vs making you buy it seperate like everyone else

I threw the last few pieces on her tonight. Unfortunately I've got a calc test that I have to study big time for so I won't have any time till next week to take it out. But here is some eye candy for in the mean time.

1338.jpg

1344.jpg

1341.jpg

1347.jpg

And don't make comments about the glass. I stole it from my wife's AR in the mean time till I can get a MK4 on it. And yes the OPS Inc brake is way too shinny.

Still playing with the idea of throwing the UBR stock on and maybe throwing a PA Micro Dot on a 45 offset. We'll see, for right now I've tapped out all my funds and couldn't be happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jealous. However I'm broke, so... shit </div></div>
Trust me I know the feeling, I can only afford 1 semi auto 308 right now so I sold my M1A to fund this. Talk about someone shooting my dog, I almost cried.
But I've been wanting this baby for some time now and can't wait to start putting rounds down the tube.

Update...........

So after having this rifle for over a month I have made several changes to it. I've played with it. I've humped up and down hills/mountains with it. I overall fricking love this weapon. Here goes.....

As I mentioned funds are tight and since I sold my M1A without optics I recycled my glass. The scope pictured above is my wife's Leupy Mark 2 which coincidentally is the same model that I had on my M1A. I bought a used Warne RAMP mount off here to give it a run through. I first seen the RAMP in Leupys 09-10 ish catalog with their Delta Point and was intrigued. The RAMP is 1 piece scope mount with left and right 45 degree offsets for adding a Mini/Micro RD. For the price of the RAMP mount and my interests I couldn't resist passing up. I figured that if the setup didn't work for me I could pass it along down the road.

Once I had the mount spoken for I went over to primaryarms.com and ordered one of their Micro Red Dots. Prior to this I had email correspondence inquiring if their Micro would hold up to a 308s recoil and wondering whether or not to get the fixed base or the removable base. The rep that was email claimed that it should be fine for a 308 and that the fixed base would be sufficient as it is a little lower. So I took the plunge, and I'm glad I went fixed base. The fixed base has the illum rhestat on the top, thus giving easy access in a 45 offset.

I got the mount and RD shortly before the end of September and mounted it all up. Because of the height of the mount, I no longer needed the adjustable cheek rest of the PRS. I took the rifle out and commenced to put rounds down range.

I got the rifle's MBUS, Leupy and PA Micro sighted in at 100 and groups were decent (~1.5 ish) considering I was shooting for the first time. I was perfectly content with this accuracy as I was going to be taking this rifle elk hunting and in the woods up in Medicine Bow seeing an elk further then 100 yards is pushing it. I did dope in 2.5 moa to be on the safe side.

Because there was no need for the PRS I snagged a Magpul UBR off the FS thread from here and instantly fell in love with the stock. I swapped out the stock and was able to run about 20 rounds through the rifle for functionality before elk hunting. The slash heavy carbine buffer and spring was a bit pricey on the wallet but a must for running this stock.

In the middle of the month I had Guard duty up in Douglas WY and they have an awesome public access range with steel out to 700 yards. My buddy Zach (redfoxone) took me out and we put this rifle to the test. My first shot at 300 was low so I dialed in a total of 4 moa. Boom-ting! Awesome! Three for three, and then passed it off to Zach. He shot at 300 and hit every time. He held over just shy of a mil at 400 and ting, ting. ting. At 500 it was a dead on hold over of 2 mils and just over 3 mils for 600. And the best feat of all 5 mils for 700 with the 165 sp factory reloads. We shot quite a bit of ammo between the two of us and although my skills are not near as good as they should I seen every shot and the misses I had were very narrow misses due to my own shooting.

Shooting 12x12 steel targets will do wonders for your confidence levels. I was able to shoot targets with instant feedback. Yes a 12x12 target means that the rifle is only a 2 moa gun but considering that will kill an animal or a man I'm perfectly content with it's set up. I know that with my cheap little Leupold scope I can accurately range and engage a target with little trouble. As long as wind is in my favor, that's a whole new dimension of skills I need to be come better at.

So last weekend I took my wife and kids out for a little shooting. I set a target and milk jugs up at 300 yards. The shots on paper were horrendous due to the WY wind. I was having to aim a whole mil to the right. But my wife and I were taking out milk jugs easily. Needless to say the wife likes the rifle. And when I can get her shooting steel at distance she'll love it even more.

I have a tan UBR coming in soon to match up the furniture and may end up replacing the XTM panels with ladders to lighten this a bit, but other than that this rifle is set. I have a TAB Gear sling set up with QD swivels and it is a great sling for carrying. I will need to take full use of this sling and use it to its full potential by actually slinging up.

I honestly couldn't have asked for a more perfect set up then what I have. This rifle shoots better then myself but I hope to rectify that. I plan on shooting this more to get a feel for it and then start load development. I feel that by the time next hunting season rolls around I'll have this rifle exactly the way I want it. I do plan on Duracoating it this summer once school is done, but not sure how.

Anyone looking to build a 308 should seriously look into the Mega Platform. I want to give a big thanks in everyone that was involved in helping me with this build!

Here's my rifle as it sits now till I can throw on my Tan UBR.
Resampled_2011-10-16_20-10-39_939.jpg

And close up of the PA Micro
1369.jpg

Here is my 3 year old Grant getting his own time behind the gun.
Resampled_2011-10-23_10-28-47_907.jpg

Re: Mega Arms MA-Ten Mono weights *pics added*

Good wright up...

I have a MA-10 also for Hunting and humping,Its 14lbs with loaded mag and optics,I use 150SST for shooting steel/yotes and 150GMX on trophy hunts for added insurance,Both have the same POI and dope,I have plenty of 178's 190's and match parts to build a better long Range Round,But I have good results with the 150's at 600 so Far I just cant see going to match pills,I have the Range to play with the 150's out to 1k,But Honestly I have better weapons platforms for that distance..

Yeah, the way I look at it, this is my 6-700 rig. I have a 3-9 power scope on it, it's not set up for shooting tiny little holes at 1000. I know this gun is better then MOA and that works just fine for me. Knowing I can shoot this gun at up to 600 with my skills and I'm content.

Plus I figure that once I burn out the bbl, which may or may not happen, I can always spend the extra money and buy a really nice match bbl or switch calibers. Or build an additional upper thats more specialized. The fact that this gun performs the way it does just tickles me pink.

Yes the AFG and XTM panels were stippled. Good old soldering iron. All my gear gets the soldering iron treatment. It provides an amazing amount of grip. My fingers on a pair of hunting gloves are getting shredded because of the texture.

Good looking rifle OP. What scope are you planning on saving up for?

Originally I was planning on getting a Leupy MK4 in 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 with M3 turrets and TMR reticle. I have a 3.5-10 on my SPS-Tactical and its a great scope. Since this Mark2 was on my EBR and didn't go with the rifle I used it on the Mega.

Honestly though, I don't know if I'll change out glass. I've shot the Mark 2 out to 700 yards. If I can hit 700 with a bit of work on my part, and no problem at 600 I really don't see the need to change. I mean I would love the 4.5-14 FFP on this but do I need to spend over a grand when it works?

I do have intentions of down the road building another Mega but in 6.5 Creedmore. When I get to that point I'll most likely spend a good deal of time researching glass. For right now this scope works damn good where it's at.

So after quite a bit of consideration, I decided that I don't shoot my Bolt 308 enough to not have my scope for that and my AR. I just got a Badger Ord Riser Rail, thanks SWFA, and am now set up to swap back and forth with only a few minutes of adjustments.

So far with just shouldering it and setting behind it I like it alot. It gives me a much better cheek weld with the Badger Rail and Leupy Med Rings then a Warne RAMP. One problem that I did run into was I had to move my Magpul MBUS forward a slot or two and do a tiny bit of filing some material away. Fits good now.

I think the only thing to do now is get an offset mount for my PA Micro, Troy Ambi Mag Release, a BAD-CASS safety and give everything a paint job to match the scope. This, I think, is the final iteration of this rifle.

Resampled_2012-05-24_16-56-07_38.jpg

Resampled_2012-05-24_18-11-19_967.jpg

Resampled_2012-05-24_18-11-46_144.jpg

Here's another shot with my boy, I love that he love's being like daddy, he tries using his left eye so I told him to cover his left eye to help out
Resampled_2012-05-24_17-31-26_508.jpg

Had an easy weekend so tore apart my rifle and hit it with Duracoat. I'm pleased with how it came out. Time to reverify my zero and get the DOPE for my homeloads.

2012-07-16_15-03-02_843.jpg

2012-07-16_15-02-24_7.jpg

2012-07-15_15-59-33_309.jpg

Excellent paint job thanks for sharing. Great to see the new shooter in training

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent paint job thanks for sharing. Great to see the new shooter in training </div></div>

I've had this since your group buy back about a year ago. It's just taken me this long to finally settle on a set up with optics and everything.

As far as the DOPE, I've shot a bunch of factory loads with only a few handloads. I just need to get it chronoed, plug the data into the phone and confirm at distance. This has gone out to 700 before, just wanting solid data with my handloads and not guessing with it.

I also highly recommend the Mega monolithic for anyone serious about building a precision ar.
I got the mega rifle length monolithic upper/matching billet lower and I couldn't have asked for a better well thought out product. There was some play between my upper/lower but there is a plastic tipped screw in the grip housing that takes all the play out and works great.
Not to take away from your thread but here is what the Mega Monolithic set looks like in an AR-15 platform in my 6.5 grendel build.
rightsidegrendel.jpg

leftsidegrendel2.jpg

Mega Monos are awesome! I can't say enough good things about them. And Wildbill, in your case where you have a long range optic you can run standard rings without any concern of bridging back and forth from rail to reciever. When I seen yours I had to do a double take, I thought you had the MA-Ten single rail. Once funds become available (other projects on the list first) I want to get a MA-Ten single rail for a 6.5 CM build.

Mega puts out a great quality kit. They are innovating the AR market with awesome components. Not sure how their NiB recievers are but they do look appealing. As far as the MA-Ten sets go I love their compatibility with the widest variety of manufacturers. Really you have DPMS/SR25 or Armalite pattern. Guys have had to choose between the two and sacrifice on another level. With Mega you can use quality barrels like Noveske but can run PMAGs. I know, if you're buying a high dollar quality barrel what is it to spend some extra cash on mags, but it works out nicely.

Too bad Mega will stop producing the mono sets...total bummer.

Hopefully Jason and crew can get past the patent issue. They make great product

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: green338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad Mega will stop producing the mono sets...total bummer. </div></div>
Where did you hear this?

In this email.

July 17, 2012

To our Valued Customer:

Announcement regarding Mega Arms Monolithic MTS upper receivers:

We have both good news and also tough news to deliver. So to quickly get the bad news out of the way: we are no longer manufacturing, or offering for sale, our MTS Monolithic upper receivers. This includes sets involving the MTS upper in AR-15 and MATEN. If you are a custom MTS client, please contact us.

You must be wondering why we are taking this step. No, we did not have any safety or quality issues. You already know that our MTS upper is made to our high expectations and has been the pinnacle of the industry since its inception. We recently became aware that a competitor is about to obtain a patent, and we believe that this competitor will assert its patent against us. We have strong defenses, but we are not a large company that can sustain ongoing litigation expenses. Plus we would rather be working on providing a superior replacement.

The good news is that we are working on a new platform that far exceeds anything currently offered in the industry. It will be exactly what you would expect from Mega Arms. We have no specific time frame on when we will be able to start shipping the new platform, but stay tuned for news on that front.

The MTS upper for AR-15 and MATEN has been a huge success for us at Mega Arms, and we are just as disappointed as you are with this decision and change. We convey our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause to you or your customers. We at Mega Arms look forward to our new platform, and believe that it will be a platform that the industry would expect to see from us at Mega Arms!

Sincerely,

Mega Arms

That sucks massive hairy water buffalo balls. On the bright side, I now have one of only how many thousands of MA TENs made?

Go figure right? I would really like to know who the other party involved is... But definitely interested in the new system they are speaking of

Heard about this today at the gun shop. I'm wondering who they're talking about also

Now I'm no patent expert but when I look at LMT's design it's not even close to the mega so why is mega worried? My understanding is that unless they are copying it exactly they should be fine?

I bought the last MATEN 308 monolithic upper/lower yesterday, and I was wondering if you guys can help me a bit with my new build. I can't decide what brand barrel to order and from who. All I know I want a 308,16" . The YM BCG will be a good choice, but because this is my first AR.10 I don't know exactly which one to order. Also a trigger, someone mentioned to order a Gieselle, but no idea which one..
Will you guys help me out here, and give me some ideas? I don't want to order a wrong non matching parts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I'm no patent expert but when I look at LMT's design it's not even close to the mega so why is mega worried? My understanding is that unless they are copying it exactly they should be fine? </div></div>

The problem isn't actually winning against any patent infringement lawsuit, it's the cost of defending it. Fricking lawyers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I'm no patent expert but when I look at LMT's design it's not even close to the mega so why is mega worried? My understanding is that unless they are copying it exactly they should be fine? </div></div>

The problem isn't actually winning against any patent infringement lawsuit, it's the cost of defending it. Fricking lawyers!</div></div>

Nothing worse than the lawyers curse!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A MAGYAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the last MATEN 308 monolithic upper/lower yesterday, and I was wondering if you guys can help me a bit with my new build. I can't decide what brand barrel to order and from who. All I know I want a 308,16" . The YM BCG will be a good choice, but because this is my first AR.10 I don't know exactly which one to order. Also a trigger, someone mentioned to order a Gieselle, but no idea which one..
Will you guys help me out here, and give me some ideas? I don't want to order a wrong non matching parts... </div></div>

AR .308s will come in one of two bolt patterns, Armalite or DPMS. Just make sure you get a barrel chambered to match your bolt type or you're going to need headspace gauges to verify your headspace. As for triggers, any AR15 type trigger will work, you just need to determine which specific one you want. Without knowing your preference, it's hard to make a recommendation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I'm no patent expert but when I look at LMT's design it's not even close to the mega so why is mega worried? My understanding is that unless they are copying it exactly they should be fine? </div></div>

The problem isn't actually winning against any patent infringement lawsuit, it's the cost of defending it. Fricking lawyers! </div></div>

They told me it was going to cost anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of million to fight it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I'm no patent expert but when I look at LMT's design it's not even close to the mega so why is mega worried? My understanding is that unless they are copying it exactly they should be fine? </div></div>

The problem isn't actually winning against any patent infringement lawsuit, it's the cost of defending it. Fricking lawyers! </div></div>

They told me it was going to cost anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of million to fight it. </div></div>

I would really love to see the actual patents. LMT puts out one hell of a great product as well, but other then the fact that they are both "monos" they are very un alike. Les Baer's Mono (aside from a few asthetics) looks very similar to Mega.

This is really what makes the Firearms market stagnant. If one company has a monopoly on the market they can saturate it with any bs that they want. I mean look at rail systems period, how many different rail systems mount up in similiar ways?

Like I said, LMT puts out a good product, so if so why are they taking up a patent lawsuit against Mega? LMT MWS can't stay in stock almost anywhere, their product is so damn good as is that Mega shouldn't be taking away any of their business.

Anyways, like I said, whatevery the case may be, when Mega puts out their new product I'm definitely going to be taking a look into it. Their quality of components has me as a customer for a long long time. It just sad to see a proven platform go by the wayside, pity for the petty little bs. Glad I have mine

I have a handy build ref document just PM me your e-mail and I will be happy to send it to you

Pm sent Branson1369

I hope its not those retards over at freedom group..
crazy.gif

Here's my Mega in action, went up elk hunting in Med Bow but didn't seen anything. Then went out deer hunting last Wednesday, didn't see anything but heard some coyotes so figure I would try to get a dog. Started walking to where I heard the coyotes and damn near walked on this Muley. He was only 25 yards away and dropped him.

Resampled_2012-10-04_11-48-45_128.jpg

Resampled_2012-10-10_17-53-57_661.jpg