• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Meindl Boots

DENAUS4

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
I've been looking at a pair of Meindl Torup boots.
Has anyone had any experience with them or other Meindl boots.
Most of my walking is in a hot and dry climate with moderate hills.
Would they be any other brands that i should also check out
any advice would be great

Cheers Lachlan

Re: Meindl Boots

Very Good Shoes
It will last very long
I have the Goretex Modell and use them regulaly

meindl make some very good boots.

also have a look at lowa who also make very good boots the lowa desert boots are particularly good

Bought my first pair in Grafenwoehr FRG, used them for hunting in Germany..during cold, wet and snowy weather..wore them during the summer...they are without a doubt the best footwear I have ever had, which include Danner. Buy them you will not regret it..

Excellent Boots! They make a number of models for Cabela's including their "Perfekt". I have the Perfekt Hunters and love them. As you know though no shoe or boot is any good if it doesn't fit YOUR foot right. It really is essential to try them on.

I use Cabela's Perfekt line for work and play and they are great, just try them on first as my normal size of Danners didn't fit and I had to adjust.

Another +1 for the Cabela's Perfekt. I have the hikers and have enjoyed them.

I got a pair. Love it. I have heel spurs, as well as ankle injuries. I tell ya, the Meindels are one boot that really feels good on my feet. I actually do not bitch and moan when hunting. Makes me want to walk the woods even more. They may be on the pricier side, but I will keep buying them, plus so far they are really lasting a long time.

Oh one other thing, I always put that goop protectant stuff, the natural oil stuff. Makes it a tad darker, but man, the leather just eats that stuff up. Even though my boots are gortex lined, I want to make sure the leather lasts as long as the soles. I have had other brands where I did not take care of the leather and they cracked in the summer after they got way too dry.

i have a wide foot i guess. i have bought rockport then ecco. blew out 3 rockports then 2 pair of eccos followed. sizing is key. remember when we were kids and they had the silver dealy at the shoestore. you never see them anymore. find one, get a true size and then see if your brand has your size. the shoe store where i got mine said the ports would hold. then they said the eccos wouldnt blow out. they did. thats when i stopped paying that much for boots. i have heard good things about Vasque, thats my next try. for now my walmart cheapies in 13w last longer than the rockports or the eccos

The unfortunate thing about boots is you can try them on in the store all you want but until you are 5 miles into a hike you'll never know how well they really fit. Many will feel like they fit really well in the store, even if you wear them around for 10-15 minutes and use their "incline" ramp, but once they are out on the trail it's a whole new world. I've had many boots that felt great in the store, walking around town to gently break them in, but the first 2 mile climb you come to with a pack on and it's blisters and pain.

The Meindl's are great boots but they, as most serious hiking boots, have different lasts (or build sizes) depending on the model. Honestly, most of the high end lowa, vasque, asolo, garmont, kennetek, boots are great boots, but fit is key. They can be the most durable, light, stylish, waterproof boot ever but if you get blisters in them they are worthless.

For example I can wear the meindl alaskan hunters/hikers as my primary hiking boot, the alaskan hikers are in fact the best serious hiking boot I've found in trying probably 30 different boots all over $200. However, none of the "perfekt" line fit me at all, comfy but way too much heel slip. I have particularly hard feet to fit, wide fore foot and narrow heel. It took me at least 10 different snowboard/ski boots to find one that fit well. The same is true of the Schnee boots, I can wear the hunter in a size 10 all day long with a pack, 15 miles a day. However, I tried a pair of the extreme's same size, and blisters 15 minutes into the first climb.

In fact these days when I finally do find a pair that fit really well, for example the meindl alaskan hikers, I buy in 2-3 pair at least and put a couple in a closet, I do the same with ski and snowboard boots.

Another product I've used in boots before if they fit well but just give you heel blisters is from ENGO. They are a oval patch that's a sticker similar to teflon you can put in the heed of the boot and by reducing the friction it all but eliminates heel blisters. The downside is they don't work well in all boots if they have a very tight heel cup, and once you use them you have to keep using them as they leave sticky residue on the boot liner. Obviously it's better to have a boot that fits right, but I've made boots that would have been thrown in the closet as junk serviceable.

There are also several custom hiking boot places that will build a boot to your foot using tracings and impressions. It's expensive, but a lot cheaper than trying 3-4 expensive boots trying to find one that fits.

i own two pairs of meindl boots , the first is the meindl eagle and i wear them whenever im out of barracks on the ground and whenever im just out hunting, i also bought a pair of tan coloured boots by them {cant remember the model} for when i was in chad. both boots are better quality boots than anything else iv owned or worn , they can be a bit pricey but then again you get what you pay for.IMHO you cant go wrong with them

Thanks for all the info guys, I think it's time to go down to the shop and give them a good try.
eek.gif

Is their any one in the states besides Cabelas that stocks the Meindl line of footware?

I too, have been hard to fit...Danner, Vasque, Rachiele (sp). I found that I (according to shoemakers) have a narrow heel, and prefer a wide footbed, and that i have a low-volume foot.
From what i have researched, the european makers have this sort of last.
I will try the Meindl line out after my lowa boots are shot...but i will vouch for lowa, and i usually hear lowa and meindle in the same sentences...

Please, let us know how they work for you!

Thank you,

Jordan

Yep I have the same foot design and that's probably the toughest foot to fit in the US. Most boots here are mid to high volume and of medium width. If you find a boot wide enough in the footbed, the heel is too wide and boot has too much volume and the foot slides around in it. Find a boot with a low volume and narrow heel and the footbed is way too narrow.

So it's a tough fit, in fact many of the European boots imported here now are also designed with a different last for the average US market foot instead of their European offerings so it's good to check with a good boot maker, or the company directly to see which models have that type of last/volume that they bring to the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must have narrow feet because my mindels didnt fit worth a darn. I have some Keen's that are by far the most comfortable boots i have used. </div></div>

If you have narrow feet try Lowa boots same quality as Meindl only more narrow.

I buy Meindl and Lowa only, best boots money can buy.

fwiw,
I've had custom made boots made in The United States AND Canada, however, I've never found a better boot than the Meindl Perfekt. I buy two pairs at the time so one pair has a day to dry while I wear the others. Money well spent...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

I used the same pair of Meindl Desert Fox boots on deployments from 2004 - 07. Excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must have narrow feet because my mindels didnt fit worth a darn. I have some Keen's that are by far the most comfortable boots i have used. </div></div>

Well, I have wide feet and as much as I hate to admit it... the Meindl's didn't fit for shit...

I ended up with the Cabela's Outfitter series. Selected the EE

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true

I've worn these everyday (literally) for 3 months From WY,CO,WV,PA to NC and couldn't be happier... have yet to find a hitch in them. I've used either, 1 pair of light, med or heavy outfitter series socks with a liner sock. On terrain, mud, water, rocks, swamps, forest, farm land...-10* to +40* They are made by Danner. Saved a few nice pennies over the Meindl.

Matter of fact I purchased a second pair and and pair of uninsulated for the summer as well. almost a 3 fer over the Meindl.

And so we see that no matter how well made if the boot doesn't fit it is no good. I usually buy a few pair when I find boots or shoes that really fit well. I also rarely buy any footwear mail order that I have not already owned.

I have had the best luck with vasque as far as fit but must warn that the soles on these suck in colder climates. I have had problems with both my hikers and the taller thinsulate type. The rubber compound they are comprised of is simply too hard for cold weather. I do believe they are the vibram soles and if your out hiking in rocky/wet areas in the cold be warned!

My two favorites have been Han Weg and Lowa ...always fit perfectly first time with virtually no breakin periods.

I have hiked and backpacked in the Sierra Nevadas and Wasatch/Uinta Mountains for more than twenty five years. I've had boots of most major brands. A year ago I bought a pair of Miendl Alaskan Hikers after several months of trying on every boot/brand I could find. I wanted boots that would protect my feet and ankles while humping a 60 pound pack all day in rock, water, snow and ice.

I've used the Miendls on dozens of day hikes and five extended backpacking trips. I've used them to climb Mount Nebo (11,400 foot summit) in the snow and ice. I took them along the Highline Trail in the Uintas this summer--a sixty mile trip almost completely above 10,000 feet elevation. They fit me well (widths available), and they perform very well. They have held up exceptionally well. Tough as nails.

I'm impressed with the padded tongue and the lacing system that holds the tongue in place.

They (the Alaskan Hikers) do fall into the heavy boot category, but, they are not heavier than the competition. They were not as warm as technical climbing boots in the snow and ice, but, they are as supportive as a typical mountaineering boots at less weight and a lower price.

Miendl is building first rate boots, in my experience.

yeah , ditto on the VASQUE boots ; i hiked in mine for 5 measley miles , camped at 20 degrees over night

and they were destroyed in the rubber cushion sole area

never again

i switched to ASOLO

I have the Teton II Hikers (they’re made by Meindl for Cabelas). By far the best boot I've ever owned. They took a while to break in, but they were pretty comfortable even during break in. Now that they're broken in I'd say they're almost as comfortable as running shoes. Lots of ankle and arch support and excellent traction as well.

ASOLO all the way, have had mine for 10 years and the sole just now came off, just re glued it on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ASOLO all the way, have had mine for 10 years and the sole just now came off, just re glued it on </div></div>

In addition to Asolo you may also consider La Sportiva and Scarpa. High quality and not made in China.

Wear Asolo every day, used to wear Meindl Alaska Hunter for hunting and they are great boots. Switched to HanWag because I have a wide foot and love em. Another great German boot.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30

They will make custom footbeds and take a trace of your foot for proper fit. Great customer service.

What model Keens, Glen?

Meindl make some models in wide and standard widths. I have a pair Island MFS STD and my mate has wides (I talked him into a pair after he tried mind on) The Island MFS is a very good sidling boot and ideal for New Zealand conditions - WET

Island MFS
IslandPRO-2.jpg

If you wont a boot to take a crampon you will need to with the Makalu PRO 3000 GTX

LOWA also make some very nice boots - Tibet Pro GTX is a good choice
LOWA Boots

Lowa may make a good boot, but their website sucks. I spent 4 minutes painfully looking for the "Tibet Pro GTX" before I lost total and complete interest.

ETA: Found it, looks good, no idea of cost or where to buy provided by website, however. FAIL.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yep, website is a shiter!</span>

DO THIS: Product - Outdoor - Backpacking - Man

I too like Asolo boots. They are well made and fit me well. I also like that I can usually pick them up for about 1/2 price at sierra trading post. I wait until I get an additional 25% off coupon. I just ordered a pair of the Fugitive GTX which sell for $200 on Amazon for $104 from Sierra Trading Post. I also have a pair of Lowa that I like. I got them through sierra trading post too. I used to have a pair of Raichle boots that were very well made too. So there seems to be quite a few good choices if you have feet that they will fit. And that is the key. Find the pair that is well made that fits YOUR feet best.

I tried on all of the Meindl boots that Cabelas had in stock. I also tried the Cabelas Mountain Hunter at the same time. The Mountain Hunter was by far more comfortable. I really like the asymmetrical tongue design. I don't know who makes them for Cabelas, but they are made in Italy.

As long as I don't step into water over the top, they have been completely water proof. They have been on some really tough hunts, and I like them more every time I put them on!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

+1 on the Keen boots comfort and fit.

Note these are for hiking and have Goretex. I don't use these for hunting - hiking /backpacking and USPSA matches only. I've hiked for days in Colorado and they've always been comfortable and keep my feet dry.

Keen boots