• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Melonite on SS?

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Any real world experience with this on a Krieger ss barrel?

What are the risk with having it down?

I appreciate any insight as I kno wnothing other than an old thread here which didn't seem to answer anything.

Mark

Re: Melonite on SS?

What specific question are you trying to get answered? The 3 barrels I personally have had done are all ss. One kreiger, one brux and one lawton. I have no idea what make the lawton is.

The risk of having it done.

An dlooking for experiences of having it done, like accuracy degradation, cleaning changes, etc.

Knock on wood, mine have been accurate and easy to clean. There always seems to be a hint of brown on the patch when cleaning which I attribute to the surface of the treated barrel. My lawton 243ai has about 1050 down it at this time.

I did read that it's best on a new barrel as there won't be any impurities to hinder application. This is a new barrel, 6.5cm build. I guess it's hard to imagine anything easier to clean than a quality ss barrel. As I see it, the big benefit is barrel life increase which is already good on the 6.5cm.

I just worry about accuracy,but I will never know. Although if it's over 1/2-3/4 "at 100, I either had the misfortune of getting a bad barrel or it ws ruined in the application.

Guess I havee to decide soon.

Nitrite has been around for 70 years, if done right you should see velocity and
life improve and a little easier cleanup. Glock figured it out years ago as a great
gun coating for inside and out, the rest of us are catching up.

I have read you need to put some rounds rounds down the tube(10-50) to remove any machining marks, then clean it spotless, unscrew it, have it done, screw it on and go, and there will be no set backs, is that all true?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read you need to put some rounds rounds down the tube(10-50) to remove any machining marks, then clean it spotless, unscrew it, have it done, screw it on and go, and there will be no set backs, is that all true? </div></div>

All true from what they have told me when doing them.

My gunsmith polished the burrs out of the front of the lands and then sent the barrel off to be melonited. No rounds down the tube before hand. Brownells sells a tool that looks like a mini chimney sweeper with different fine grits that fits on the end of a cleaning rod.